PDA

View Full Version : John Kenyon 26" Panel saw remade

Mike Wenzloff
05-25-2006, 3:15 PM
Now that the saw is finished...

Here's the Kenyon panel saw--26"--as found in the Seaton chest and replicated to the best we could do with the extant photos I have.

26" blade, 7 ppi cross cut. European Beech handle.

This saw, while looking big--and with a .042" saw plate that has been moderately taper ground--is big, it saws wonderful and balances in the hand well. Lightly breasted blade.

Take care, Mike

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/seaton/kenyon_cc_panel_0004.JPG
http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/seaton/kenyon_cc_panel_0007.JPG

Alan DuBoff
05-25-2006, 3:17 PM
Sweeeeeeeet! :cool:

harry strasil
05-25-2006, 4:39 PM
Beautiful, Mike , just beautiful.

Tim Barker
05-25-2006, 4:57 PM
Good looking saw. Your skill and craftmanship show through in each saw you've shared here.

Tim

James Mittlefehldt
05-25-2006, 5:21 PM
One question that may be dum but here goes anyway. The end of the blade is rounded as opposed to square, was that due to the manufacturing methods at the time the original was made, or was it simply a style then employed by saw makers?

Nice saw either way Mike you should be proud.

Mike Wenzloff
05-25-2006, 6:15 PM
Thank you, Everyone!

James, I assume it was a stylistic detail which Kenyon used on his saws as there were other makers of the period which used a squared-off toe. But I do have some pictures of several saws from other makers which had some sort of rounded toe, though not as pronounced. Though the picture doesn't show it well, the nib also has a decidedly forward lean to it.

The Seaton chest contained 6 saws, two panel saws, large and small tenon, a carcass saw and a smaller saw we would call a dovetail saw. Both panel saws were styled as above, though the rip panel is slightly taller and a lower tooth count. It also has less taper grind than the CC.

Take care, Mike

Maurice Metzger
05-25-2006, 9:16 PM
Mike, another beautiful saw. Wow.

I'm not familiar with the prototype - is the handle fastened with brass pins, like a knife handle?

Maurice

Steve Wargo
05-25-2006, 9:30 PM
Man... That one is sweet Mike. Nice looking saw.

Mike Wenzloff
05-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Maurice and Steve.

Maurice, those are called split nut style bolts. What you see on this side is the bolt heads. The other side has a nut with a slot across it. I'll take some pics later to show you.

Take care, Mike