PDA

View Full Version : cool equipment videos from the big-boys

tod evans
05-25-2006, 1:39 PM
here`s a link to online demos of the stuff the big boys are playing with

http://www.scmgroup-usa.com/online_demos/index.html

some of us dream of more space, others of ol`arn and yet others like me are darn glad for what we`ve got! but for those thinking of seriously competing in the wood chopping industry here`s what you`re up against. tod

Mark Pruitt
05-25-2006, 2:23 PM
Kinda takes the fun out of it IMO, but it is cool to watch for a while.

For me it brings up the whole user-machine ratio subject. I can say that I appreciate a finished project more or less based on how much of it was done by the machine vs by the user, but how far do I take that? If I'm consistent, I must say that in order for me to truly appreciate a project I must cut down the tree, mill the lumber, and dry it, otherwise the work wasn't entirely "mine." But of course that's a bit silly, so that line of reasoning doesn't cut it. So I'm back to asking myself, why do I hold so little respect for the kind of woodworking that is done by these automated machines? I guess the answer is that there is so little "human" involvement in the actual milling process. Yes, humans programmed the machines, I acknowledge that--but it just isn't the same. The human interface just isn't there. Oh well.....time for me to get back to work.:)

tod evans
05-25-2006, 2:53 PM
mark, i too cut boards with the hands on approach but this technology is here to stay. i don`t know how to use it and really have no desire to learn, but each of us who "hand makes" stuff, if our designs are good enough, will be coppied by these robots. most medium sized cabinet shops are having to use the technology in order to remain competitive. personally i`m kinda scared that some geek sitting in an office could be taking work out of my shop and never lift a board.. in the sme sentence i really find the new moulder technology interesting, and a 60hp gangrip is pretty cool too.......oh-well the good thing is that one-off stuff just isn`t profitable for the guys who own this type of equipment...yet.
.02 tod

Robert Mayer
05-25-2006, 3:05 PM
I always blows my mind to see the precision that those machines work on. The table on that raised panel maker is huge, but the milling head can jump from side to side and keep amazing accuracy.

With that said, i can appreciated handmade work a lot more...