PDA

View Full Version : Any Satellite Radio Recommendations

John Weber
05-25-2006, 1:25 PM
I'm looking at a simple basic Satellite radio system for the car. I would like to keep install as easy as possible, hopefully plug and play. Anyway, anyone have any recommendations or thoughts. About how much might I need to spend for the system, and which service do you prefer?

Thanks - John

Bill Grumbine
05-25-2006, 4:37 PM
Hi John

I received an XM from my brother for my birthday last year. He gave me the basic module with the home stereo adapter kit. I added the car kit so I could put it in the truck for all the driving I am doing. It clips onto the dash and is not really in the way. It goes through the existing stereo system via an FM signal. On occasion I have to shift frequencies when I am passing a city or large town, but it is not a real pain. It is nice to be able to move it from the truck to the shop and back again.

About the only time I use the regular radio anymore is if I am in the truck and don't have the XM module with me - rarely that is.

Bill

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 4:39 PM
My Silverado can with XM installed. Since I drive a lot It realy comes in handy especialy on long trips.

Barry Beech
05-25-2006, 4:53 PM
I bought the XM roady for my parents and in-laws for Christmas from Amazon. Installation couldn't be easier. It puts out an fm signal that the radio picks up.

We had them installed in about 15minutes.

John Shuk
05-25-2006, 8:10 PM
I'd say XM Roady too. Simple to install and use and extra cradles and such are plentiful. I love XM. Rarely do I listen to plain ole radio anymore.
Good deals can be had here. http://partners.xmradio.com/
enter this: EBAYMOT26

The deals are as follows:

SkyFi 2 + Car Kit and Boombox = $59.00
Roady XT + Car Kit and Boombox = $99.00
Audiovox XPress + Car Kit = $0.00
Audiovox XPress + Car Kit + Boombox = $99.00
MyFi + Home & Car Kits = $99.00
XM Commander = $49.00
Roady XT + Car Kit = $0.00
SkyFi 2 + Car & Home Kit = $49.00
SkyFi 2 + Car Kit = $39.00
Pioneer Airware + Home & Car Kit = $99.00
Polk XRt 12 Reference Tuner = $119.00
Tao XM2Go Receiver with Sports Pack = $49.00
Tao XM2Go + Car & Home Kit = $99.00

These deals require 3 months service paid up front. Shipping is around $10.00. Ordered yesterday morning, received this morning less than 24 hours later.
No affiliation this is just from an XM fan site.

Keith Starosta
05-26-2006, 7:22 AM
Hey John! Check out this thread that Fred Voorhees started a while back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35632&highlight=Sirius

As I stated there, I much prefer Sirius over XM, strictly because of the content. Sirius has the NHL and NFL, and I like their comedy and music line-up more, as well.

As far as the unit itself, LOML got me the Sportster, which allows for pausing/FF/RW of content.....much like a Tivo for your radio.

Good luck with your purchase. Regardless of which system you go with, you won't be sorry!!

- Keith

Mike Evertsen
05-26-2006, 8:14 AM
I have XM in my truck I use the roady2 thru the FM radio havn't listened to the regular radio in over a year. you can check out both online to see what they offer and what you want to listen to