PDA

View Full Version : Please help- Sofa Table Wood Movement

Bob Winkler
05-25-2006, 9:12 AM
I'd planning to build a sofa or console table with a simple, shaker-style design. The legs and apron will be maple, but I would like to do something different with the top. I want to do a figured maple top with a cherry edge. The cherry would be mitered all around the top, and would be cove'd with a large radius to lighten the overall look.

My question is about wood movement. I'm concerned about the cherry trim glued to the maple endgrain. I considered making the top frame and panel, but I prefer a smooth top. Breadboard ends also would solve the problem, but again, I hoped to avoid a "line" between the maple and cherry.

Do I have to resort to making a veneered maple top glued to a stable substrate (mdf or plywood)? Or am I being overly cautious and should make it with solid wood and glue it up normally.

Any opinions, ideas or suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks,
Bob

tod evans
05-25-2006, 9:23 AM
bob, anytime you apply crossgrain banding you`re looking for trouble! it cannot be glued solid or it will fail, no exceptions when dealing with the width of even a sofa table. if you must use banding to achieve the look you desire veneer is the only answer i`m aware of...02 tod