PDA

View Full Version : turtle table finished

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 8:28 AM
well this is an attempt at design 101, its a free form table that i tried to follow the grain in its construction. took some scrap lumber and made something useful; it took awhile to get the bugs worked out and me to have time but it finished the race. so hence the turtle table and it seems to have that appeance to me as well. its birthday gift for little 80 yr old lady:) feel free to critgue or critzie hope the pics are attched right.

Jim Dunn
05-25-2006, 8:46 AM
Larry that is one unique piece of furniture!. I like the leg design and the dovetail drawer. The dowels add to the piece as well. Very nicely done.

Aaron Beaver
05-25-2006, 9:08 AM
That is very nice. When I first looked at the table it looks like it would feel right at home in a log cabin. Thats the kind of pices of furniture I like.

lou sansone
05-25-2006, 9:38 AM
that is a real neat piece of furniture
nice looking wood and good jointery
keep up the good work

lou

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 9:41 AM
OK, I got busy and couldn't get back to doing the pics right away. So sorry BUT, it looks like you got it down just fine! :D Great job on the table, my friend!!! The joinery on it is simply super! :) You're going to have to give me a demo on those DT's next month! I've got a nice DT saw now and I'll make sure my chisels are sharp! :D Good job, Larry!!! :) :cool:

John D Watson
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I think its beautiful Larry. The only thing I would have done differently is to soffen the sharp edges of the top as you did the legs. If thats made out of scrap, I'd like to see your good wood. Well done.

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 10:13 AM
I think its beautiful Larry. The only thing I would have done differently is to soffen the sharp edges of the top as you did the legs. If thats made out of scrap, I'd like to see your good wood. Well done.

in reply to the soften edges, in my eyes i needed to maintain the live edge and if i had taken them down it would have taken away the slab look. as for scarp wood,well that top almost was kindling but i looked at it one more time and decided to save it. the funny thing is, i saw this table in my mind, be it as small as it is;) as soon as i saw the top i grabbed the boards for the legs, here i thought only ladies had intution.. the dovetails were my 2cd attempt at handcuttin, the first attemp never got finished, outa oak.got alot respect for you folks that do it better and more often,thanks for lookin//and thanks whole heartedly for all the info i have received on this forum, dont say much but i try to listen and learn.

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Larry that is one unique piece of furniture!. I like the leg design and the dovetail drawer. The dowels add to the piece as well. Very nicely done.
thanks for the reply jim,, from the front or side the drawer is hiden looks like a solid piece, must be i was from the days of prohibition in my previous life:) good spot for a flask huh?

tod evans
05-25-2006, 10:17 AM
pretty cool larry!

Steve Ash
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Looks a lot different from when I first saw it Larry. You did real well on the whole process, but the best part is going to be when she see's it (if you haven't already given it to her) she will be thrilled and that is that part that will make it all worth it. You get a pat on the back and a beverage of your choice for your efforts next time you're over here:cool: !

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
pretty cool larry!

thanks tod i used the "jewish finish" on it after your shellac schedule.

Ben Roman
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Awesome work!! What kind of finish is it and how was it applied ?

Ben

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Looks a lot different from when I first saw it Larry. You did real well on the whole process, but the best part is going to be when she see's it (if you haven't already given it to her) she will be thrilled and that is that part that will make it all worth it. You get a pat on the back and a beverage of your choice for your efforts next time you're over here:cool: !
havnt deliverd it yet, that is sunday or monday, and i think i will be on her good list fer awhile and when she opens the drawer and sees a red rose i think that will seal the deal.. but this lady deserves this and much more in my eyes. didnt do it for a beer but i will surly take you up on the offer:)

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Awesome work!! What kind of finish is it and how was it applied ?

Ben

the finish is 2 coats of amber shellac with a brush then one coat water lox gloss with a brush then 3 coats waterlox gloss with a rag. and little hand rubbing on the top.

Byron Trantham
05-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice job Larry.

tod evans
05-25-2006, 10:47 AM
thanks tod i used the "jewish finish" on it after your shellac schedule.

for those wondering about the "jewish" finish, larry asked a question about waterlox and never having used it and being the consumate smart a## i asked what it was? sounded like some sort of jewish-(lox) concoction to me.. tod

Steve Ash
05-25-2006, 10:49 AM
being the consumate smart a## i asked what it was?

That's okay tod, usually it is Larry that is the consumate smart a##:eek: :D :cool:

Steve Beadle
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Unique! I love the rusticity!--if there is such a word.
I was puzzling over the piece atop the right front leg: looks like a 1/4" thick piece atop the leg, or maybe it's part of the leg itself--just set off visually with a little cut. I don't see it in the other pictures, though, probably because of the angle at which the photo was taken.
Thanks for showing us your "turtle" table!
Steve

larry merlau
05-25-2006, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Beadle]Unique! I love the rusticity!--if there is such a word.
I was puzzling over the piece atop the right front leg: looks like a 1/4" thick piece atop the leg, or maybe it's part of the leg itself--just set off visually with a little cut.

its just a reflection steve, not 1/4 insert:) or i could say the one leg was too short and i had to add alitttle:) just for mr ash's 2 cents worth:)