PDA

View Full Version : PC 4212 Jig arrived...!

Greg Koch
05-25-2006, 12:51 AM
After waiting for quite a while on Amazon to come up with a good deal on the 4212, they pulled through this past weekend. $109 with free shipping. I was given free 2 Day Air shipping until 8/20, so I ordered on Sat. The unit arrived today and it was in perfect condition. I've got the manual out now, and hope to start cutting some 'tails tomorrow. :D If all works well, I'll probably also get the 4215 mini templet too, as I have a lot of small cedar boards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_4212B.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/4212B.jpg)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_4212A.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/4212A.jpg)

I'll be using my PC690 with the jig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_PC690.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/PC690.jpg)

Steve Clardy
05-25-2006, 1:17 AM
Nice!! Waiting on mine

Paul Canaris
05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Very nice jig. Keep us posted as to how it works out.

Jerry Olexa
05-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Thats a good deal on a PC jig. you did well......

Scott Donley
05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Steve and Greg, make sure you get the supplemental manual, you can download it from the PC website. 44 pages of really good info to extend the use of the 4212 :D

Julio Navarro
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM
I really like that jig, I am planning on building a bench just for that jig so I can use it at will.

That was a great deal btw.

Steve Clardy
05-25-2006, 1:25 PM
Steve and Greg, make sure you get the supplemental manual, you can download it from the PC website. 44 pages of really good info to extend the use of the 4212 :D

Thanks. Will do!

Greg Koch
05-25-2006, 1:31 PM
Scott...I've downloaded it and taken a quick look. Wow! Lots of things to learn, but it looks very interesting and versatile.

Julio Navarro
05-25-2006, 2:14 PM
can you post the link to that supplimental manual, Scott?

Scott Donley
05-25-2006, 2:22 PM
can you post the link to that supplimental manual, Scott?I got it off the PC service center that you need to log on to, it might be elsewhere, not sure. If you can't find it, PM me your email and I will send it to you. the file is just over 2 mb size.

Jack Ferrell
05-25-2006, 3:04 PM
4212 video and advanced manual links
http://www.porter-cable.com/jigs/

Rob Bodenschatz
05-25-2006, 3:05 PM
Man, that PC website BLOWS!!! Finding anything is a PITA. Anyway, I can't provide a link to the supplemental manual but here is a roadmap:

1. Go to www.portercable.com (http://www.portercable.com)
2. Click Product Support \ Manuals.
3. If you don't already have a SERVICENET user name, you'll need to register yourself.
4. After registering, login and click Technical Publications on the left side.
5. Enter Model Number: 4212. Continue.
6. Hit Continue again next to the model. All the manuals should appear.

Whew.

EDIT: Just saw Jack's link. Is there a link to that from the main PC site? Just curious because I couldn't find one. Anyway, ignore my instructions and just follow Jack's Link.

Another Edit: Jack Link makes good beef jerky. Sorry. Back into my hole now.

Larry Cooke
05-25-2006, 3:39 PM
4212 video and advanced manual linksThank you Jack!

Downloaded and will be printing it later...

I just got mine last night, didn't get home until late so all I could do was look at the box before going to bed. Hopefully will get to play or I mean work with it tonight.

Larry

Jack Ferrell
05-25-2006, 6:33 PM
[quote=Is there a link to that from the main PC site? [/quote]

Rob,
It's from the home page -> products -> tools -> speciality tools under electric tools -> dovetail machines -> model 4212 -> view advanced joint video. On that page is the link for the advanced manual. Hard to find.

Bruce Lewis
05-25-2006, 6:35 PM
I've got the PC 4210 (and all three templates so I guess it's a 4212, now). Be aware before you buy it that the 4215 template won't work for wood thicker than 1/2 inch. I wanted to used it for finer box joints (more fingers, more glue area) on some 3/4 poplar and found out that it wouldn't work for that.

It works great on 1/2 inch lumber, though.

I'm fairly well satisfied with the PC 4212 but I have a CMT jig that I use more because I can cut both sides of a box joint at the same time with it and never have to worry about alignment issues. You can use gauge blocks on the PC to get things aligned properly. But you almost need three hands to do that (or a jig).

The only thing I don't like about the PC jig is having to "eyeball" the alignment of the side you just cut on the left into the fingers on the right to set the right hand stop.

The 4212 is hard to beat for "standard" spaced half-blind dovetails, though.

Ron Jones near Indy
05-25-2006, 7:42 PM
Mine came today also. Too bad I won't have time to play with it for 2 or 3 weeks. When tracking the shipping today, I noticed that the price is back at $150. I finally hit a sale at Amazon.:D

Scott Donley
05-25-2006, 8:16 PM
I've got the PC 4210 (and all three templates so I guess it's a 4212, now). Be aware before you buy it that the 4215 template won't work for wood thicker than 1/2 inch. I wanted to used it for finer box joints (more fingers, more glue area) on some 3/4 poplar and found out that it wouldn't work for that.

It works great on 1/2 inch lumber, though.

I'm fairly well satisfied with the PC 4212 but I have a CMT jig that I use more because I can cut both sides of a box joint at the same time with it and never have to worry about alignment issues. You can use gauge blocks on the PC to get things aligned properly. But you almost need three hands to do that (or a jig).

The only thing I don't like about the PC jig is having to "eyeball" the alignment of the side you just cut on the left into the fingers on the right to set the right hand stop.

The 4212 is hard to beat for "standard" spaced half-blind dovetails, though.I found it also very easy to use for through DT's http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28861 If by having to eyeball, you mean being able to place your start and finish placement so they are the same, seems like an advantage to me. I will admit that I have not tried it for box joints,so far, have still used the router table for those.

Jeffrey Schronce
05-25-2006, 11:25 PM
I received mine from Amazon yesterday. Read the brief Basic Manual last night. Decided to see how things went today and busted out a decent joint in 28 minutes. This included setting everything up. The joint was very tight, so according to the instructions located ON THE JIG (how freaking cool is that?) I lowered the bit a tiny bit. 3 minutes later banged out a perfect half-blind DT.
Now this may not impress some, however I spent 10 hours (literally) to produce joints worse joints with the HF jig. Everything is just "together" with this jig. Depth setting is no quesion, side stops are preset for the most part, scribs on top show where template should be set relative to the wood regardless of wood sizes. A lot of instructions are written on the jig, in fact I didn't even have the manual with me today in the shop! This is the way it is supposed to be. Plus I got my 4212 for $110 at Amazon during a recent sale. Figuring this thing has $50 or so worth of bushings and bits, an additional template for through and finger joints and is so easy to use, it is a much better bargin than getting the HF jig. WIth HF (or most other jigs) you have to assume you can get a nice fitting bushing, you have to either buy new DT bits or hope the ones you have are the correct degree, etc.
Enough rambling. I love this thing. My wife is out of town tonight. Do you think it is wrong to let it sleep next to me?

Allen Bookout
05-26-2006, 12:57 AM
I love this thing. My wife is out of town tonight. Do you think it is wrong to let it sleep next to me?

It is OK if you do not sleep with your arm around it. An occasional pat is acceptable.

Steve Clardy
05-26-2006, 2:09 AM
I received mine from Amazon yesterday. Read the brief Basic Manual last night. Decided to see how things went today and busted out a decent joint in 28 minutes. This included setting everything up. The joint was very tight, so according to the instructions located ON THE JIG (how freaking cool is that?) I lowered the bit a tiny bit. 3 minutes later banged out a perfect half-blind DT.
Now this may not impress some, however I spent 10 hours (literally) to produce joints worse joints with the HF jig. Everything is just "together" with this jig. Depth setting is no quesion, side stops are preset for the most part, scribs on top show where template should be set relative to the wood regardless of wood sizes. A lot of instructions are written on the jig, in fact I didn't even have the manual with me today in the shop! This is the way it is supposed to be. Plus I got my 4212 for $110 at Amazon during a recent sale. Figuring this thing has $50 or so worth of bushings and bits, an additional template for through and finger joints and is so easy to use, it is a much better bargin than getting the HF jig. WIth HF (or most other jigs) you have to assume you can get a nice fitting bushing, you have to either buy new DT bits or hope the ones you have are the correct degree, etc.
Enough rambling. I love this thing. My wife is out of town tonight. Do you think it is wrong to let it sleep next to me?

Mums the word Jeff. I won't tell:rolleyes: ;)