PDA

View Full Version : Eiffel Tower model

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi All

Buzz from the other forum posted this file. Here is the model.
It is 30 inches high and made of mdf
Abdul

Shaddy Dedmore
05-25-2006, 1:00 AM
Looks great. I just happen to have some 1/8" MDF right here... I should try it out.

I've made a few things with MDF and it's always been hard to keep it clean, what's a good easy way to finish it before lasering? I did use paper mask on both sides before, and that worked well too, but I hate weeding off tape.

Nice job, did you use regular wood glue?

Shaddy

Ken Frisby
05-25-2006, 1:02 AM
Hi All

Buzz from the other forum posted this file. Here is the model.
It is 30 inches high and made of mdf
Abdul
Don't you mean Tiler02 (James Stokes), he was the one who posted it. It is mentioned here on an earlier post.

Dave Jones
05-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I do not believe the full ready to cut model was ever posted here. There were a couple of threads about it, but the only ready to cut file posted here was a flat version of one side. (unless I missed it)

Lee DeRaud
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
It was in another thread here, but that one contained a direct link to another forum so the links got yanked. Go to www dot worldofengraving dot com, register, and search for "eiffel".

I played around with the files to get it to fit my 12"x16" machine (Versalaser)...discovered the tabs are sized for 4mm material (0.16"). You can either edit all the tabs :eek: or scale the whole thing down 78% to use 1/8". (Or up 156% to use 1/4", but that makes some of the pieces too big for the smaller machines.)

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
All

sorry i was out of town for a few days, hence the delay.

I used regular wood glue for this project with a ton of rubber bands.
I re-sized all the tabs to .125 inch.
I will not stain the tower but will spray a clearcoat on.
The ready to cut corel 12 file for the tower is available for any one who sends me their personal email address. The file is too big to be attached here.

I will be doing this tower in Alder wood in a little while.

Abdul

Ruben Salcedo
05-30-2006, 2:06 PM
Hi Abdul,

I appreciate your offer, but I'm more interested to know how you did the re-sizing of the tabs in Corel? I'm new to Corel and I want to learn the most I can. Thank you

Ruben

Keith Outten
05-30-2006, 6:57 PM
Abdul,

Send me the Corel File and I will place it on the SMC server for downloading.

Dave Fifield
05-31-2006, 2:00 AM
Thanks Keith! I'm looking forward to making this model. :)

Dave F.

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Ruben
Re sizing is a laborious process. You have to move the all the nodes of all tabs and slots to measure .125 inch.
Select the graphic with the pickup tool, select the relevant nodes and move them to measure .125. you can do this by drawing two lines, horizontal and vertical, and use them as a ruler. Make sure you dont disturb any other nodes.

Abdul

Abdul Baseer Hai
05-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Keith

How do I send you the file?
Let me know

abdul

Ruben Salcedo
05-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Abdul,

Thank you, now I understand, that was very helpful, I thought that there was a way that you just select the lines you want to change dimensions to and hit a button an automatically make the changes, I think I was dreaming Hu!

Ruben

Ken Frisby
06-01-2006, 9:58 AM
Abdul,

Send me the Corel File and I will place it on the SMC server for downloading.

Don't you think you should check with the original poster of the other forum before posting here?

James Stokes
06-01-2006, 8:15 PM
I am the original poster, I tried to post it here but the file was to big. It would not bother me at all for it to be posted here.

Keith Outten
06-09-2006, 7:31 AM
Here is the link to Abdul's Corel Draw 401k version of the eiffel tower.
To download this file right click on the link below and select "Save Link As" or "Save Target As" from the dropdown menu, then select a folder on your machine to start the file transfer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/files/neweiffel_12.cdr

Greg Sloan
06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Could someone please post the tower in verison 11, for some reason unknown to me, I can't open verison 12 cdrs. I would like to make this for my store. Real Eye catcher.

Thanks,

Greg Sloan

Dave Fifield
06-10-2006, 6:28 AM
Here you go Greg. Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,
Dave Fifield

neweiffel_11.cdr (http://www.ubersprang.com/neweiffel_11.cdr)

Ed Maloney
08-23-2007, 6:39 PM
Since I had the camera out. I finally got around trying this out. I have the CDR file that lays it out in 3 pages for a 24x12 bed if anyone is interested.

This is 1/8" Russian Birch that I got from Michael Kowalczyk.

Nancy Laird
08-23-2007, 6:43 PM
Trotec was running this at the AWFS, complete with some signage from their company. It took nearly two hours to cut a sheet on their 36x48" bed of the entire tower. But it was pretty impressive when assembled.

Nancy (120 days)

Keith Outten
08-23-2007, 8:19 PM
Very Cool Ed,

What were your cutting and assembly times for the tower?

If I made one I think I would paint it gray, isn't that the color of the real tower?

Mike Null
08-23-2007, 8:24 PM
My memory is not great but I think it's brown. If not brown then green.

Just googled this.

The Eiffel Tower has been painted in a number of different colors throughout its history, but today, it is painted a color called “Eiffel Tower beige,” which turns out to be the color of milk chocolate, and it is used in three very slightly different shades at different elevations of the tower (higher elevations use a lighter shade), in order to accentuate the impression of height.

Frank Corker
08-23-2007, 9:07 PM
I did mine from the original post last year some time (I think - well a long time ago) in black acrylic. Real pain to glue up but it looks good and very strong.

Eric Allen
08-24-2007, 5:04 AM
Since I had the camera out. I finally got around trying this out. I have the CDR file that lays it out in 3 pages for a 24x12 bed if anyone is interested.

I'd love a copy if you don't mind:) I thought I had this one, but it's not anywhere I can find in my file system. Chalk it up to getting older:) How long did it take to run on your machine?

Frank Corker
08-24-2007, 7:29 AM
Eric, it was so long ago I can't actually remember. It does require some patience though.

Ed Maloney
08-24-2007, 7:36 AM
Very Cool Ed,

What were your cutting and assembly times for the tower?

Around 90 minutes for the laser and about an hour assembling, so this is really eye-candy for the Wow effect.

Ed Maloney
08-24-2007, 7:43 AM
I'd love a copy if you don't mind:) I thought I had this one, but it's not anywhere I can find in my file system. Chalk it up to getting older:) How long did it take to run on your machine?

Here 'ya go. It's a cleaned up version since the original had some stray vectors hanging around. See my reply to Keith about times.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-24-2007, 4:19 PM

Hey Ed,
Nice pics. It is always neat to see what people can do with a few flat 3mm sheets of ply and make a 3D piece of art. Are you making them for sale or the WOW factor? Either way look great and thanks for the plug. Let me know if you need any more.

James Rambo
08-26-2007, 5:39 PM
I found the file a couple of weeks ago and resized it to 75%, and it worked great for 3 mm bb ply. Before cutting I rearranged it to fit on a 12" x 30" sheet.

Eric Allen
08-29-2007, 3:06 AM
Here 'ya go. It's a cleaned up version since the original had some stray vectors hanging around. See my reply to Keith about times.

Many thanks! This should be a fun, if long project:) Let's see...That works out to about $405 to the consumer, guessing we can count on this decorating the house for some time:)