PDA

View Full Version : Freud SD 608 Dial A Width Dado - Report

Allen Bookout
05-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I did quite a few dados in both plywood and solid wood today using the Freud SD 608 Dial A Width Dado. All of the dados were clean and flat in both materials. The most impressive thing was the fine adjustment. On purpose I installed the required blades to get close but did not click in the required amount to adjust it correctly knowing that the dados would be too narrow. Ran a test dado and measured the difference, in thousandths, between the dado and the thickness of the material to be inserted, divided by four, loosened the arbor nut and dialed in that number of clicks, tightned the nut and ran another dado and if fit PERFECTLY.

I think that sometimes people do not use their dado blades as much as they would if it were easier to adjust. With this unit there are no pulling off blades and using shims. Just dial it in. What a pleasure.

For anyone contemplating a new dado set up I think that you should at least take a look at this one.

After reading the thread about being paid to mention a product I suppose that all of us that have nothing to do with any of these companies will have to start using disclaimers. I HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH FREUD OR ANY WOODWORKING TOOL COMPANY.

Hope this helps someone. Allen

Russ Massery
05-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks Allen, I can't remember seeing a write up( other than a magazine) on that dado. I always wonder how well it cut. And how the dial worked.

glenn bradley
05-25-2006, 1:11 AM
What type of TS are you running. I was seriously looking at that dado. Read alot of good reviews saying it is well worth the price, etc. Come to find out (per the owner's manual anyway) that I don't have a long enough arbor to run it :( .

Allen Bookout
05-25-2006, 1:21 AM
Glenn,

I am running a Delta Unisaw. I can measure the length of the arbor tomorrow if you like. I remember seeing something in the past about information on the Freud website about how to determine if you can use it or not. I know that on some saws that you can use it but not to the full available width which is 29/32 of an inch. If power is an issue I do remember Charles of Freud talking about how much less power is required to run the 6" vs the 8".

Charles of Freud sometimes jumps in to give some information to members here so maybe he will chime in.

What saw do you have?

Allen

P.S. I found their website and this is the page for "contact us". I could not find any information relating to arbor length required but a call should answer that question. Here is the page.

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/customer_srv/cstmr_srvc.shtml

There is a bit of information in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29361

Norman Hitt
05-25-2006, 2:29 AM
I always wondered WHY Freud didn't publish the required arbor length for useing this set at it's Fullest cut width in their Specs.:confused: I know that this might eliminate some customer sales, but it just might get them more sales because there are probably quite a few folks that are hesitant to buy it since they don't know if they have enough arbor length. Others might also buy it even though they have a shorter arbor, but maybe long enough to make the widest dado cuts that they would need, which might be somewhat less than the full width capabilities of the unit.

(I'm ONE of those that backed off, because of some posts shortly after it was introduced, that indicated maybe my PM-66 arbor wasn't long enough to use it.):( I really liked the idea of the adjustability without having to fool with taking blades off and changing/adding spacers. I have an Amana Slot Cutter router bit that uses the same basic dial type width adjustment, and really like it.

Charles McCracken
05-25-2006, 8:25 AM
Norman,

We don't make a statement as to how long the arbor must be for two reasons: First is that the max dado width is 29/32" and IME that much width is rarely needed. If we publish that your arbor must be XX" long to stack the max many people would not buy it even though the arbor may be plenty long for every dado cut they will ever make. Second, since saws vary in the way the flanges are made and other possible limitations and we couldn't possibly keep track of all iterations there may be something specific to a particular saw that would make the arbor length information incorrect (even saws of the same model number sometimes vary). A basic formula that works for almost every saw that will accept a dado is:
Max Dado width with the SD600 series is equal to Total arbor length MINUS Thickness of the nut MINUS 7/32" (for the hub) OR Max dado width quoted by the saw manufacturer, which ever is less.

Gary Herrmann
05-25-2006, 8:36 AM
I've been using that dado stack on my TS (General 650) for over 6 months now. I had never owned one previously and it just seemed like it would make life much easier to have that dial adjustment. It works very well indeed. I do the vast majority of my dados and rabbets on the TS now as opposed to with the router which is how I used to do them. Well worth the money.

Dick Strauss
05-25-2006, 8:53 AM
I'm not trying to put Freud down at all but...

A friend has a Freud dial a dado blade that states it will go as wide as 13/16" according to the indicator on the thumb dial. However, it maxes out at about 3/4" in actual use, otherwise you jump off the cliff with the stepping mechanism. This came into play when we were trying to cut some dadoes 13/16" wide for plywood. The Freud dado blade did a great job with a nice square joint. However, since the plywood was still wider than the dado, we had to taper the edge of the plywood going into the joint to get it to fit!

Charles,
In fairness my friend couldn't remember the max width stated by Freud. It wasn't limited by arbor length on his Unisaw. We couldn't get it to go wider on the saw top either. Did we do something wrong? Why put a dimension on the side that couldn't be achieved (assuming we didn't do something wrong with the setup)?

Thanks,
Dick

Mike Goetzke
05-25-2006, 8:54 AM
Norman,

We don't make a statement as to how long the arbor must be for two reasons: First is that the max dado width is 29/32" and IME that much width is rarely needed.

But the problem is it is very common for this dado set not to even be able to cut a 3/4" width dado on many saws. There should be at least a warning on the package that it doesn't fit all saws or fits most saws.

I have a Craftsman 22124 and yes the arbor is too short for even a 3/4" stack. I didn't find this out until I used the set to make a few 1/2" dados (so the set is now in used condition). I looked at this set and Feeud could mod it to fit on many more saws (at least work on mine).

This is a great dado set but could be better if it fit more saws.

Mike

Charles McCracken
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not trying to put Freud down at all but...

A friend has a Freud dial a dado blade that states it will go as wide as 13/16" according to the indicator on the thumb dial. However, it maxes out at about 3/4" in actual use, otherwise you jump off the cliff with the stepping mechanism. This came into play when we were trying to cut some dadoes 13/16" wide for plywood. The Freud dado blade did a great job with a nice square joint. However, since the plywood was still wider than the dado, we had to taper the edge of the plywood going into the joint to get it to fit!

Charles,
In fairness my friend couldn't remember the max width stated by Freud. It wasn't limited by arbor length on his Unisaw. We couldn't get it to go wider on the saw top either. Did we do something wrong? Why put a dimension on the side that couldn't be achieved (assuming we didn't do something wrong with the setup)?

Thanks,
Dick

Dick,

What you describe is either not a Freud product or is a VERY old Freud product. The one that is the subject of this thread is the Dial-A-Width SD600 series and it has no markings for the width, only for the increment of adjustment. It sounds like you are referring to a wobble dado and we haven't produced those for nearly 20 years.

Tom Jones III
05-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I haven't specifically tried max width on this dado set on my PM66, but I know that I can get at least 13/16". Supposedly the PM 66 is one of those short arbor saws.

Charles McCracken
05-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Mike,

I apologize for the problem. Wouldn't the dealer take a return?

Allen Bookout
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Norman,

Max Dado width with the SD600 series is equal to Total arbor length MINUS Thickness of the nut MINUS 7/32" (for the hub) OR Max dado width quoted by the saw manufacturer, which ever is less.
Charles,

It might be a good idea to put this on your website and a "discription of product" wherever it is sold. Would end a lot of confusion and I think that it could increase sales because the buyer would be more confident that they could use it; Maybe include a statement about being able to use it at a reduced width with shorter arbors. Or something like that. I am not trying to tell you how to run your business (you are the expert at that) but just giving some information on thoughts from the other side. I know that I was a little dissapointed that I was unable to find any information regarding this issue on your website.

The product is excellent however.

Allen

"Gary Brewer"
05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I purchased a new unisaw about a year ago and then bought the Freud dial a width dado set. It couldn't do 3/4" dados with my arbor length. I had to return the dado set. It is a great concept (the dial) but this needs to get fixed or have the arbor issue pointed out by Freud a little better. I had to return it.

Mike Goetzke
05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Mike,

I apologize for the problem. Wouldn't the dealer take a return?

I bought it at Amazon and since I used it they would not take a return.

Charles McCracken
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Gary,

The SD600 was designed around the current Unisaw (the included wrench is even sized for it) so I don't understand what the issue was.

John Gregory
05-25-2006, 2:38 PM
I hate to encourage spending for tools ;) But I found out that HartvilleTool is having a Father's day sale. 20% off regular priced items with other exceptions through June 5th. (no connection with Hartville Tools, I just love tool sales) Anyway, the dial a dado is reg about $249.99 and after 20% off It would be about $199. Please DO NOT let your loml find out who gave you this scoop. The exceptions are posted on another forum.

Larry Cooke
05-25-2006, 3:43 PM
Please DO NOT let your loml find out who gave you this scoop.Mine would like to know _your_ phone number please! (Sorry, it was the only excuse I could come up with in the heat of the moment.:()

These sales are killing me!

Larry

Norman Hitt
05-25-2006, 4:22 PM
Norman,

We don't make a statement as to how long the arbor must be for two reasons: First is that the max dado width is 29/32" and IME that much width is rarely needed. If we publish that your arbor must be XX" long to stack the max many people would not buy it even though the arbor may be plenty long for every dado cut they will ever make. Second, since saws vary in the way the flanges are made and other possible limitations and we couldn't possibly keep track of all iterations there may be something specific to a particular saw that would make the arbor length information incorrect (even saws of the same model number sometimes vary). A basic formula that works for almost every saw that will accept a dado is:

Thanks for the info, Charles. That 7/32" figure for the hub, was what I had been looking for, (and maybe overlooked somewhere), but with that figure I can figure what will work on my saw.

Thanks again for your reply.

Peter Kuhlman
06-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Sadly the Hartville sale is only on marking and measuring tools. Would have loved $50 off on the Freud dado set :( .
Pete in Louisiana

John Gregory
06-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Sadly the Hartville sale is only on marking and measuring tools. Would have loved $50 off on the Freud dado set :( .
Pete in Louisiana

The sale was posted at Woodnet, you might have to mention that and say you are a member there. then again I could be wrong. I am wrong more often than I would like to admit

Alan Turner
06-02-2006, 9:01 PM
Great dado head, and for those interested, it does fit the SawStop.

Rob Bodenschatz
06-03-2006, 2:02 PM
The SD508 set is currently at $149 at Amazon. Is the SD608 worth the extra $100?

Thomas Drummond
03-19-2018, 1:39 PM
People here have not mentioned the recess for the arbor nut. If your arbor nut doesn't fit in it, you lose lots of width.

I have a Grizzly table saw, so it has a 1-1/2" nut for the 5/8" arbor. The recess in the dial-a-width mechanism for the arbor nut is 1-3/8" in diameter. If my arbor nut was 7/8" like the wrench
included, I could cut to the full rated width of the set. Does anyone know of a source for 7/8" arbor nut, acme thread, 12 threads per inch, for a 5/8" arbor?