PDA

View Full Version : Your help is needed...and Thank You !

Phil Winn
05-24-2006, 10:17 PM
As many of you know, my wife and I are retired—we have a couple of adult children including one who is very ill for many years, and is getting much worse….for this reason, we have two addresses, one in Southern CA., and the other where our son lives in MA. so we can be close to him-and help him out. While my wife and I are both MD’s (I am also a DMD), we feel so powerless that we can’t “fix” him-terrible feeling-especially since we know how poorly he is doing. His own Doctors…said a few years ago that his life expectancy is limited, that he would pass away in a few weeks (this was years ago). Fortunately, he is a fighter, and he has proved his Doctors wrong!
So why is your help needed? I would love to build something for him-here is the difficulty…I hope he lives for another 50+ years, but there is a chance that he will not. His current house has 8’ 3” ceilings and good sized rooms….he wants to move—it is likely IF he moves his new house would have taller ceilings with similar sized rooms; but a small chance that the ceiling height would be lower. I would love to build him something which would really show off my woodworking ability. What will this be? A desk? An entertainment center? Bookcase-set? Something else? Where can I get some plans? Is it possible to make an entertainment center/bookcase which would be easily adapted to various ceiling heights? I really “need” to get started in the next few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The last few years have been really difficult for me… I really want to thank you all for making me feel at home here and giving me great help. Thanks once again.
Phil

John Timberlake
05-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Whatever you buld, you want to show off your skills. One way to make it adaptable to different ceiling heights would be to add a top that can be removed and an insert to fit between the main unit and the top. For example, a bookcase with a separate section for storage with doors. This could be added with tall ceiling or removed with shorter ceilings. Don't know where you would find plans for something like this. Hope all goes well with the project and your son.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Phil......First.......my deepest sympathies to you, your wife and you son! It truly must be difficult under these circumstances!

One project that comes to my mind was one I saw Norm build on the New Yankee Workshop. It was an entertainment center built as an armoire. Here is the shortcut to it's plans at same.....http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?213

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!

tod evans
05-25-2006, 8:19 AM
phil, no plans to offer but i seldom build ent.ctrs. over 7` simply because it`s dificult for most folks to reach over 7`. i also look at an ent.ctr. as a piece of furniture more than a built-in and furniture usually stops short of an 8` ceiling... best wishes to ya`ll...tod

Alex Berkovsky
05-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Phil,
I hope your son keeps proving his doctors wrong for many years to come. I hope your woodworking shop is in MA... I will check my hard drive for some plans.

Jerry Olexa
05-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Just a simple thought and I of course, am sorry to hear about the difficulties your son is facing. You're being a good Dad. I'd think about what HE really likes or is interested in or doesn't have now. It might be a computer desk, an ent unit, a camera cabinet or station. (BTW a digital camera might be a good gift and hobby at this time). If he's restricted in mobility, try to design/build something that allows him to enjoy something he enjoys. Difficult times but I would think of his interests/needs and build the best possible unit that addresses that. My thoughts and prayers are with you...

lou sansone
05-25-2006, 2:08 PM
hi phil

what style of furniture are you thinking about ?

If it is in the colonial period, then almost any highboy would look good, no matter what the height of the ceiling.

lou

Lee Schierer
05-25-2006, 4:07 PM
Have you thought about stackable barrister bookcases. These can get pretty fancy if you want. You can make a loose base and top and then stack or unstack them as needed to fit in the room height. They can be used either for books or display or both.

There are various plans available, do a google search for barrister bookcase.

Alex Berkovsky
05-25-2006, 4:47 PM
Phil,
If you do decide to build a barrister bookcase, I may have a plan for you. There was also one in Wood Magazine a couple of years ago which I may still have.

Scott Vigder
05-25-2006, 4:57 PM
I'd be glad to draw up and send you the plans for this mission style computer desk I designed and built if you think it would fit the bill. Mortise and tenons, spindles, exacting measurements....the woodworking talent list goes on and on..

Here's a link to the pics http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=331862#poststop

Bob Noles
05-25-2006, 5:30 PM
Phil,

My heart and prayers go out to you. That has got to be one tough situation and feeling of helplessness being a Dr. yourself. Keep your faith stong and things will work according to plan. Your son's issues sure make mine look small in comparision (myasthenia Gravis).

One of the things on my to do list is a very nice hall bench with mirror and coat hooks. I don't have a specific plan that I can point you to at this time, but I'm sure there are many out there. This would not cause a concern for ceiling height or worry about having to adjust for the same. You already have enough worries and don't need one more. I believe this project would more than provide a challange and allow to show your skills in an utmost manner.

Please keep us posted of any change in condition and post us some pictures of what to decide to make.

Joe Unni
05-25-2006, 5:45 PM
Phil,

First - many thoughts and prayers.

What about a writing desk. The basic design is a narrow box on four legs, but your creativity and skills could make this a very personal project that could incorporate not only your personality, but your son's as well. To boot, they're relatively portable (i.e. no really big file drawers).

As I'm in MA as well, you're more than welcome to stop by the shop and we could put pencil to paper and see what happens.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Warmest regards,
-joe

Phil Winn
05-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks all for the supportive and uplifting posts, private messages, and emails. Many great ideas! Obviously he is very depressed, last night when my wife and I asked him what he would like built-he said a “box” for when he dies. While we were in his room we tried to keep our composure, but as soon as we left for the night….I think I will try to give him a few choices. (Yes thanks Marc B. he really enjoyed your help last year-thanks. He gave that table to his mother-my wife-she loves it! ) I must go for now. I only belong to two internet groups, and they both have meant a lot to me during these difficult times.
Thanks all,
Phil