PDA

View Full Version : I.D. help please.....

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
A few years ago we got a starter package of shrubs when we built our house. My wife can remember all the rest of the stuff we got but cannot remember what this was. It has done well where we planted it in the open. It has long thorns on the limbs. Wifey says thanks to you in advance for helping her ID this.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 10:47 PM
No doubt about it! It's a bush. With green and red leaves. Looks to be doing well, too! :D :cool: (Hey, I never said I was one 'o dose antithropoligist kind of guys!) :rolleyes:

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 10:50 PM
No doubt about it! It's a bush. With green and red leaves. Looks to be doing well, too! :D :cool: (Hey, I never said I was one 'o dose antithropoligist kind of guys!) :rolleyes:

I am just an old farm boy John,even got me a degree from a college in agriculture but I think the word you are looking for is an arborist not a antithropoligist.....I don't think that is even a word.:D :cool:

Randy Meijer
05-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Looks like poison ivy to me!!

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 10:52 PM
...maybe I should cut off a hunk and turn a pen with it.:eek:

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I am just an old farm boy John,even got me a degree from a college in agriculture but I think the word you are looking for is an arborist not a antithropoligist.....I don't think that is even a word.:D :cool:

"Arborist"??? Don't them folks work on the shipping docs or sumfin' like that??? :confused: Oh well...I still think it looks like a bush! :D (OK, now that I've used my last brain cell, it's off to bed I go, to see if I can shake off whatever the heck is wrong with me!)

Randy Meijer
05-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Just kidding............:D :D

I have no idea what it is??

Frank Chaffee
05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Steve,
That is the finest specimen of Subbliminus Arborspinnerous I have ever seen!

Caution is advised Steve, as being in proximity to such a plant will cause one to take up lathe work regardless of one’s consciously chosen direction in life.

Frank

Vaughn McMillan
05-25-2006, 4:19 AM
We also have an unidentified thorny bush (a high hedge) in our yard. The Sawmill Creek TOS prohibit me from typing the name I have given this bloodsucking abomination of a plant. You can just look at the thing and get bloody arms. :eek:

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
05-25-2006, 6:11 AM
No doubt about it! It's a bush.It's not a bush at all John, it is in fact "shrubbery".

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2006, 8:06 AM
Steve, your plant is a Hawthorne, most likely Washington Hawthorne from the appearance of the leaves. These get really nasty, long thorns that love to puncture tires and your skin. :eek: They make a great hedge, and have decent fall color and a red berry the birds like. When I was a kid, a neighbor lady had these surrounding her backyard, to keep the kids from cutting across her lawn. Ya know...........it WORKED! :o

Mark Pruitt
05-25-2006, 8:49 AM
Vaughn, I was noticing your new signature. Looks like you're getting broken in fairly well there.;) :p

Joe Pelonio
05-25-2006, 8:50 AM
Steve, your plant is a Hawthorne, most likely Washington Hawthorne from the appearance of the leaves. These get really nasty, long thorns that love to puncture tires and your skin. :eek: They make a great hedge, and have decent fall color and a red berry the birds like. When I was a kid, a neighbor lady had these surrounding her backyard, to keep the kids from cutting across her lawn. Ya know...........it WORKED! :o
If it is a WA Hawthorne it should get white flowers in June.

Steve Ash
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys!

Hawthorne does ring a bell now that you guys mention it. It hasn't gotten any flowers yet and has been in the ground here since '99 so it may require more time.

Bill Lewis
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Vaughn, I was noticing your new signature. Looks like you're getting broken in fairly well there.;) :pBut he's only got it half right. I have it on good authority that the correct phrase is:
"Yes dear, anything you say dear."

BTW, I still say it's shrubbery...

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 1:51 PM
But he's only got it half right. I have it on good authority that the correct phrase is:
"Yes dear, anything you say dear."

BTW, I still say it's shrubbery...

That's funny. I worked PT with a guy once who was celebrating his 40th wedding anniversary. We asked him "how". He simply said you need to always say 3 things: 1) Yes dear. 2) You're right. 3) I'm sorry. :rolleyes: He quickly added that you don't necessarily have to mean all or any combination of the above but, it is important to say it!!! :D

BUSH!!! :p :D :cool:

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2006, 3:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Hawthorne does ring a bell now that you guys mention it. It hasn't gotten any flowers yet and has been in the ground here since '99 so it may require more time.

Your welcome Steve. Hawthorne Trees do flower, but the blossom is small, and interspersed with the newely opened foliage, so they are not very "showy". They do however have a wonderful scent.........the bees love 'em. (Hawthorne is a member of the Rose family, Crataegus).

Steve Ash
05-25-2006, 3:22 PM
Thanks for the additional info.

So if it is a member of the rose family Frank is way off on his identification of it as a Subbliminus Arborspinnerous :D

An amazing thing about the creek...put a question out there and you almost always get a answer, even better when it is a correct one....poison ivy.....sheesh:)

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 3:25 PM
One word: BUSH!!! :D :D :D :cool:

Steve Ash
05-25-2006, 3:28 PM
One word: BUSH!!!

I'm not gonna say it....nope I am gonna behave....it's a family forum...this is killing me....:eek:

Bill Lewis
05-25-2006, 4:53 PM
Aw come on you can say it Steve, ... SHRUBBERY!!!:eek: :) :D :p ;)

Vaughn McMillan
05-25-2006, 6:03 PM
How big are the berries on a hawthorne? The &$%#& hedge we have has deep red berries the size of a small plum. I'm wondering if our shrubs might be some type of hawthorne. The birds like to eat the berries, as it makes their windshield bombs much more colorful.

Regarding my new sig line, during the toast at the wedding, my Best Man (who'd been married to my sis for about 30 years) pointed out these facts:

When she says "I'd like to know what you think", she doesn't.
When she says "Do whatever you want", don't.
When she says "It's fine", it's not.

There's a whole boatload of similar female translations out there. ;)

- Vaughn

Joe Pelonio
05-25-2006, 6:46 PM
Regarding my new sig line, during the toast at the wedding, my Best Man (who'd been married to my sis for about 30 years) pointed out these facts:

- Vaughn
I'm on year 31 now, and I'd like to clarify that.

When she says "I'd like to know what you think", she does want to know, but what you think better be what she thinks or there will be trouble.

When she says "Do whatever you want", don't. Agreed.

When she says "It's fine", it's not. Agreed.

How did we get to this from identifying a bush?

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-26-2006, 8:07 AM
How big are the berries on a hawthorne? The &$%#& hedge we have has deep red berries the size of a small plum. I'm wondering if our shrubs might be some type of hawthorne. The birds like to eat the berries, as it makes their windshield bombs much more colorful.

Vaughn, Hawthorne Berries are about the size of a large Pea, and red in color. As far as the thing about female translations..................you ain't gettin' ME to go there. The Wifey may see this, and I get into enough trouble by meself! :D

Jerry Olexa
05-26-2006, 11:07 PM
That shure is a real nice BUSH!!

Randy Moore
05-27-2006, 8:05 AM

- Vaughn

I am on my third marriage, the other two did not end by a death but darn near.
The wife is always right even if she is wrong she is right AND DONT' ever forget it .

Randy

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-27-2006, 8:23 AM
Nice bushy shrub you got there Steve, bet you could get some pens out of it :D

The most important bit I've learned in 12+ years of marrige are the things you DON'T say.

Yes, bitting you tounge till it hurts is worth it.

Cheers!

John Miliunas
05-27-2006, 9:35 AM
Nice bushy shrub you got there Steve, bet you could get some pens out of it :D

The most important bit I've learned in 12+ years of marrige are the things you DON'T say.

Yes, bitting you tounge till it hurts is worth it.

Cheers!

25+ years over here! Bet my tongue hurts twice as much as yours! :eek: :D :cool: