PDA

View Full Version : New Truck countdown...

Ned Bulken
05-24-2006, 9:19 PM
60 hrs and counting down...
I decided that the cap has to go, but the truck is in prime shape otherwise!

Mark Pruitt
05-25-2006, 9:31 AM
"Truckie, truckie, truckie......." [visualize someone dancing]:) :p

I don't know if I'd toss the cap......it might rain someday!

Matt Meiser
05-25-2006, 9:41 AM
I like my soft tonneau cover. It keeps the bed dry in the rain, but I can easily roll it up if I need to get something big in there without having to plan ahead. Taking off a cap is a pain.

Wes Bischel
05-25-2006, 9:42 AM
Congrats on the purchase Ned. The difference a few years makes is astounding to me when considering the features available on new vehicles. I was always frustrated with the cap options as well. Back when I was single I had a Ranger and wanted a "convertable" cap. At the time only one was available (that I found) and it cost close to $1k 14 years ago!:eek:

I suspect you'll enjoy your new wood hauler.

Wes

Ned Bulken
05-25-2006, 1:24 PM
Thanks guys,
In the photos it didn't look too bad, a bit funky, but 'workable'. Upon closer inspection, however, it was in really Sad shape. None of the locks worked on the windows, the struts didn't hold up the doors, etc...

To keep the LOML happy about the truck, I'll junk the cap, she doesn't like the color, but that's ok, It will either grow on her, or not. color wasn't my driving force, low mileage economical truck was.

I may put a hard tonneau on it later. My Dad has a tambour style tonneau which I really like, but that will have to wait awhile. In the mean time I'll just keep a blue tarp and some rope/straps etc in the cab.

Jim Becker
05-25-2006, 1:35 PM
I may put a hard tonneau on it later. My Dad has a tambour style tonneau which I really like, but that will have to wait awhile.

I had one on my Tundra when I owned it...it was great when new, but it became a pain in the winter when water got in the roll-up area and the whole thing was froze closed. I finally opted to replace it with a Leer cap for the last year I owned the vehicle which was great most of the time. It, too, was a pain when something bulky needed to be transported, such as a tractor implement or "large tool purchase", as it limited options for loading/unloading and vertical size.

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 1:53 PM
In the mean time I'll just keep a blue tarp and some rope/straps etc in the cab.

Ned get one of these for your lumber hauler. I have one and use it all of the time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91700-91799/91713.gif

there 8 or 9 bucks at HF depending on what size you need.

Jim DeLaney
05-25-2006, 1:54 PM
Ned,
Have the dealer remove the cap before you take delivery of the truck. That way, he's the one stuck with disposing of it.

Be aware, if the cap has been there for a long time, there may be paint damage to the top edge of the bed, from rubbing, or from chemical reaction between the paint and the gasket material on the cap.

Eddie Watkins
05-25-2006, 2:02 PM
Congratulations Ned. Did I miss the pictures? or does the it didn't happen if you don't post the pictures rule apply here?:D I have one of the roll-up covers for my pickup, if you remember, and about half the time I'm glad I do and the rest of the time it is in the way. One thing I am thinking about is putting more tiedowns on the inside of the bed, though.

Eddie

Joe Pelonio
05-25-2006, 2:10 PM
For now you can get a tonneau cover that's made to fit, has a frame that just clamps on and then the cover snaps on with plastic ridges, under $100 at bigger auto parts stores.

Matt Meiser
05-25-2006, 2:52 PM
I have an Extang brand one that ran about $179 that is what Joe describes. I'm kind of partial to them since it is a local company, but it is good quality, easy to install, and easy to use, even in the winter.

Ned Bulken
05-25-2006, 3:03 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36936 look there for pics,

The truck does have a drop in bedliner, which looked like it has protected the bed from damage from the shell. I'm having the dealer remove the cap, but even if I have to dispose of it, I'd just list it on Freecycle.org and give it away.
I'll get a cover for it eventually. have to swallow the down payment first ;)

Mark Pruitt
05-25-2006, 4:05 PM
Well, now that I see the cap I think I would toss it too. Looks kinda dorky. But a nice looking truck! Hope you enjoy it!