PDA

View Full Version : Delta X5 6" Jointer

Dave Mcintire
05-24-2006, 9:17 PM
I am curious about how all you people who bought the delta X5 - 6" jointer on the recent sales like them. Was it worth it?

Matt Guyrd
05-25-2006, 8:35 AM
Dave...I really enjoy my 6" X5 jointer. However, I have only planned/jointed about 60 bf of cherry and a few bf of oak and birch so far. But the results have been very satisfying.

If I had to gripe about one thing, it would be the fence's 90-degree stop. After a complete check-up/tune-up, including stop adjustments, I cannot rely on the fence stopping at dead-nuts 90-degrees. There seems to be a little play in the fence "swivel" mechanism. When I locked the fence in position at the 90-degree stop, the fence is good and snug, but can be slightly out of square from the table. This is my first jointer, and maybe this is normal?? It's no big deal for me as a hobbyist as I just check/adjust the fence angle with a square before milling lumber.

I also got the jointer for a song ($200 in rebates, free mobil base, free shipping, and a $75 Amazon refund for a small dent (size of a half-dollar) in the back of the cabinet from shipping), so any little nuiance is just that...nothing to worry about. I still get great results.

Matt

Brian Triplett
05-25-2006, 12:54 PM
dave,

I enjoyed mine and it has worked great. All i can say bad about is it's legnth and width. I wish I had gotten a 8". I make a lot of tables or other pieces requiring wide tops and I have to rip 8" boards down to 6" or less to use the jointer or use a planer jig. Again if you can get a 8"er do it.

Brett Baldwin
05-25-2006, 2:34 PM
Since this is my first jointer take my opinion as a novice's but I think the money was well spent. I can already see why everyone wants to go with an 8" or bigger jointer though. That 6" limit does put a damper on face jointing rough boards since many are wider but there are ways around that. If your budget allows, I'd look at 8" or bigger to save the work-arounds but as far as the quality of the machine goes I have no complaints. You can see the first dresser top I've put together having jointed the boards on my new X5 here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39044&d=1148253707 with the jointer in the background.

John Hulett
05-25-2006, 7:47 PM
I'm in the same boat as the guys above; I like it and it's a good value in itself, but I wish it was the DJ20. If you have a budget under $500, and simply cannot wait to save up the extra cash (as I couldn't) the 6" X5 is a fine machine. But don't be surprised when you get it set up, you make your first trip to the lumber yard, and you find yourself passing up nice boards that are 6 1/2" to 8" wide.

- John