PDA

View Full Version : Another house problem

Byron Trantham
09-06-2003, 2:13 PM
My house is covered with aluminum siding. The corners, garage door facing, window sash are all wood and rotting! What Material do you recommend to replace the wood. Trex like is what I was thinking. My brother-in-law suggested cypress. Some of the material is 5/4 while the rest of it seems to be 3/4. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Garlock
09-06-2003, 2:31 PM
Hi Byron.

Take a look at the trim boards from the Hardiboard people.

Hardi Trim (http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/harditrim.php)

I used their soffit material when we built. It has many pre-drilled holes in it thu providing more ventilation than the traditional louvered vents. And it takes paint very nicely. :)

Good Luck

Ted Shrader
09-06-2003, 11:51 PM
My house is covered with aluminum siding. The corners, garage door facing, window sash are all wood and rotting! What Material do you recommend to replace the wood. Trex like is what I was thinking. My brother-in-law suggested cypress. Some of the material is 5/4 while the rest of it seems to be 3/4. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Byron -

Having the same problems down here in Va B - same house construction. Was looking at the "plastic wood" for the corners at the HD. Right spendy, but wouldn't have to do it again. It is more economical to buy the wider pieces and rip them down.

I have already replaced the brick molding around the garage doors and other outside doors with the plastic stuff from the HD.

Ted