PDA

View Full Version : Hollow-Form wanna-be

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 8:46 PM
Beautiful thing about the Vortex it not only identifies itself with a sucking sound but this invisible force pushes you deeper into it and beyond your comfort zone. I had resigned myself to just do Bowls, Boxes, Bonkers and the like...but no...the vortex came along and wouldn't let me rest until I tried something that looked a bit like a hollow form...I think. Since I have no special tools I had to do this with my bowl gouge and scrapers. Thanks to Ernie I had this beautiful piece of cedar and the next thing I knew this emerged. It is far from done but I couldn't resist sharing it with all of you. Maybe not for some, but pretty big deal for me.:confused: The sizes are 7" X 4 1/2" X opening of 2 3/4"

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2006, 9:04 PM
Looks like a good start to me Christopher! Beautiful piece of wood! I've got a piece of peach from Raymond Overman that's screaming NE....ME....NE.....ME to me! I've not turned an NE but I'm reading and thinking this weekend I might give it a try!

Gary Max
05-24-2006, 9:09 PM
Don't let anyone kid you---Cedar is one of the most spectacular woods for grain and color around. It can be a real pain to work with. I think you did a outstanding job.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 9:10 PM
Looks like a good start to me Christopher! Beautiful piece of wood! I've got a piece of peach from Raymond Overman that's screaming NE....ME....NE.....ME to me! I've not turned an NE but I'm reading and thinking this weekend I might give it a try!

Go for it Ken That's a new one for me as well and I'll be anxious to see your results. Thanks...

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-24-2006, 9:16 PM
THAT is going to be a "HUMDINGER!!!"

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
05-24-2006, 9:20 PM
Very nice Chris! It looks great, can't wait to see it finished.

Corey

Keith Burns
05-24-2006, 9:44 PM
Great start Chris ! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece:) :)

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 9:45 PM
Fantastic Chris!!!! I was thinking of giving that a go tonight or tomorrow myself! GREAT JOB. So.... how does it feel hanging that scraper 4 inches or so off the end of the tool rest???????

George Conklin
05-24-2006, 10:05 PM
So.... how does it feel hanging that scraper 4 inches or so off the end of the tool rest???????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just the thought of that is scary!

Nice job, Chris. Now, don't you just want to go out and buy some hollow form tools?;)

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Fantastic Chris!!!! I was thinking of giving that a go tonight or tomorrow myself! GREAT JOB. So.... how does it feel hanging that scraper 4 inches or so off the end of the tool rest???????

Does this Give you some idea?

Frank Chaffee
05-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Awful purdy Chris.

I doubt you’ll be a wanna-be for long!;)

Frank

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Gotta hand it to you for taking the iniative to try something outside of your comfort zone and with no special tools. I'd say you did yourself proud Chris.

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah, what Steve said! I think it's coming along real nice! :) Just another "to do" to add to my own list! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Looks pretty good to me Christopher. Going to be a nice piece.

Ernie Nyvall
05-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Fun aint it. I mean, to just go for it and try something new is exciting... and then to have a nice flowing curve all the way around and hollowed out... a sigh of relief and then satisfaction. Oh yea.

Nice job Chris.

Ernie

Barry Stratton
05-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Does this Give you some idea?

ROTFLMASSO!!!! Good one. Thats kinda what I thought.

Hey, whats with the "hats"????

John Hart
05-25-2006, 6:05 AM
Nice work Chris. Yep...hollowforms are addicting...no doubt. You've done real nice with that one. "Don't Fear the Scraper" ;) :)

Mike Ramsey
05-25-2006, 9:29 AM
Very good job Chris! I see lots of cracks in the near future for you ;) .
But hope not...

Christopher K. Hartley
05-25-2006, 9:30 AM
Very good job Chris! I see lots of cracks in the near future for you ;) .
But hope not... Near just got Now.:eek:

Tom Sherman
05-26-2006, 9:33 AM
Christofer that is some kind of nice. I haven't tackled one like that my self either but getting closer all the time. Been hearing a wooshing sound coming from the area of my garage(shop) but the Dr said 6 more weeks off my feet. I think I might go crazy by then.