PDA

View Full Version : creeker sighting

Zahid Naqvi
05-24-2006, 7:53 PM
I was visiting Philli for some job related work, got an afternoon off and took the opportunity to meet Alan Turner. He turned out to be more gracious in person than he is on-line. Although he had to work on a commission, he took out almost two hours from his schedule to show me around his shop. Even let me play with some of his toys.

Got to see him rip a 8/4 Cherry slab through the Zimmerman bandsaw. That thing is built like a tank, it cut through the Cherry slab like a hot knife through butter. I also got to play with his Lie Nelson knuckle cap block plane with an adjustable mouth. The mouth on that thing was so close I had to hold it against the light to detect it, obviously the shavings were wispy thin as snow flake. Got to pound on his newly acquired mortise chisel from Joel. Hefty and solid.

I got to see a couple of prototypes of the Japanese stool he has been working on, I think the design has now been finalized.

Unfortunately no pictures, none of us were carrying a digi-cam.

Thanks Alan for your hospitality.

Steve Clardy
05-24-2006, 7:58 PM
Sounds like you had a great visit!!

Jim Becker
05-25-2006, 1:22 PM
I'm glad you got to hook up with Alan--a most excellent host, Zahid, and hope you get back to the area again...there are bunches of us to visit with!

Dave Anderson NH
05-25-2006, 2:53 PM
Great Zahid, I thoroughly enjoy the rare chances I get to go and see Alan. If you ever get up Boston/ Southern NH on business, the door is always open here too.

Alan Turner
05-31-2006, 3:43 PM
Zahid,
I am so sorry that I missed this post at first. It was a pleasure to meet you, and you are welcome back at any time. Just after you left, I left for Oregon for a day or 5, and am just now back from the left coast.

You have by now figured out that I enjoy giving shop tours.:)