PDA

View Full Version : Know Any Noteworthy Woodworking Place in Ireland: Galway or Dublin?

George Gong
05-24-2006, 4:13 PM
Hello Creekers,

I am going on a trip to Galway and Dublin in Ireland. Since I am there, I wanted to see if there was anything out there like a nice woodworking museum, store, or other place of general woodworking interest. Anyone have any knowledge or experience they can share about it? I will take pictures and post them when I come back. :)

Jeremy Gibson
05-24-2006, 6:58 PM
George,

I don't have any recommendations, but I'll be in Ireland this fall. I'm starting in Dublin and then driving clock-wise around the coast. After the Giant's Causway and Belfast in N Ireland I'm taking a ferry to Scotland and seeing that country for 3 days before returning to Ireland and the flight home.

I've been there in 2000 and it was fantastic! I hope you enjoy your trip.

George Gong
05-24-2006, 10:23 PM
I think I have a quest. :D I'll be driving across to Galway. What I find I will report back here and post pictures.

George,

I don't have any recommendations, but I'll be in Ireland this fall. I'm starting in Dublin and then driving clock-wise around the coast. After the Giant's Causway and Belfast in N Ireland I'm taking a ferry to Scotland and seeing that country for 3 days before returning to Ireland and the flight home.

I've been there in 2000 and it was fantastic! I hope you enjoy your trip.

Dan Clark
05-24-2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php

I think they might have a modest knowledge of the that area.

Regards,

Dan.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
05-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Offhand, the one place I can think of that would be interesting is Craggaunowen, which covers some fascinating historic uses of wood, including a reproduction boat and a reproduction crannog (ring fort). Not too far from Shannon airport if you're not taking that second leg to Dublin.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Craggaunowen_Day.htm

Vaughn McMillan
05-25-2006, 4:42 PM
George, I posted your question on a little travel-related forum I visit, and got this response from one of the members (who happens to live in Ireland):

"There are plenty of craft shops in Ireland, especially Glaway which would have examples of wood craft and wood work. The people in them would willingly give your friend the information needed.

"You might find this link (http://www.ipcc.ie/infobogwood.html)<!--EZCODE LINK START--><!--EZCODE LINK START--> interesting...and this (http://www.tipp.ie/localcompanies/craftgranery/craft-granary-shopa.htm)."

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

George Gong
05-25-2006, 5:24 PM
Thank you Dan, Deirdre, and Vaughn for the links. I will check them all out. I appreciate your effort in finding these things.

It is hard to get information from here without the Internet. I went to the Sunnyvale, CA library this morning. They have a fairly large woodworking section and I didn't even find anything about Irish woodworking on the shelves.

I think that I will check out the UK forum online.. then when I get there check out Craggaunowen and see how the Irish use Bogwood.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
05-26-2006, 4:47 AM
George, I didn't know you were in my area. :)

Irish woodworking is an interesting problem -- in most cases, the raw timbers were exported to England -- that's where most of the Irish oaks went (to build a chunk of the British fleet). There's a huge move to re-grow forests, but the country was almost completely denuded except for part of County Kerry.

There's a castle in the Clare area that had some marvelous woodwork, though I've forgotten the name of it. It wasn't one of the hotel castles, though it was open for tours.

We went to so many castles and I trundled around, but eventually the spouse and father just hung out in the car and talked. :)

Mike Williams
05-26-2006, 4:02 PM
George,

We've lived in Ireland for about 18 months. Quite honestly, we haven't seen a lot of woodworking attractions as we've driven the country. But then again, we were more interested in seeing the countryside and looking at some of the ancient history (1,000 - 8,000 years old).

Here's a website that may have something for you. I looked at the woodworking section, and opened up a couple of the listings. Some of the names then have their own websites that may be the kind of thing you are looking for. In case it gets lost, it is the Crafts Council of Ireland site.

http://www.ccoi.ie/searchsystem/search.php

If you have any specific questions about Ireland, getting through the Dublin airport, etc., just let me know.

Mike

George Gong
05-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Nice to know I used to pass through Menlo Park on my way to work where the network is the computer. It is unfortunate that all the trees were used up because it will take a few hundred years to re-grow the forests... ( unless they come up with some kind of new fast-grow breed.)

Europe has a lot of historic castles and if I don't find any woodworking happening, I should find something else interesting to post here related to woodworking. I'm also going to the continent so maybe there is something going on down there.

George, I didn't know you were in my area. :)

Irish woodworking is an interesting problem -- in most cases, the raw timbers were exported to England -- that's where most of the Irish oaks went (to build a chunk of the British fleet). There's a huge move to re-grow forests, but the country was almost completely denuded except for part of County Kerry.

There's a castle in the Clare area that had some marvelous woodwork, though I've forgotten the name of it. It wasn't one of the hotel castles, though it was open for tours.

We went to so many castles and I trundled around, but eventually the spouse and father just hung out in the car and talked. :)

George Gong
05-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks Mike!

Where were you from originally? Somewhere in the US?

I am going to look at the arts council site. The site has some carvings and bowls come up. Maybe there will be something in Ireland which will inspire me to create something at home. I've been busy with school so it has been hard to make things lately.

George,

We've lived in Ireland for about 18 months. Quite honestly, we haven't seen a lot of woodworking attractions as we've driven the country. But then again, we were more interested in seeing the countryside and looking at some of the ancient history (1,000 - 8,000 years old).

Here's a website that may have something for you. I looked at the woodworking section, and opened up a couple of the listings. Some of the names then have their own websites that may be the kind of thing you are looking for. In case it gets lost, it is the Crafts Council of Ireland site.

http://www.ccoi.ie/searchsystem/search.php

If you have any specific questions about Ireland, getting through the Dublin airport, etc., just let me know.

Mike

Mike Williams
05-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks Mike!

Where were you from originally? Somewhere in the US?

George - we're from Michigan. We're over here for my work with Kellogg's. Been here about 18 months - 12 months left to go.

George Gong
05-30-2006, 7:49 PM
Thanks for replying. :)

George - we're from Michigan. We're over here for my work with Kellogg's. Been here about 18 months - 12 months left to go.