PDA

View Full Version : Incra TS-LS fence quality control

Rich Person
05-24-2006, 2:15 PM
In the neverending saga of trying to put a fence on my new SawStop . . .

On April 5th, I ordered the fence (woodpeckers). After starting to install it, I noticed that the included instructions were for the old TS-III fence. So, I downloaded the correct ones from the web site. I attached the rails and base unit and was ready to attach the LS base, when I noticed that they sent the mounting screw set for the TS-III (which don't work for the LS), so I had to stop, wait a week for the correct screws. After installing the LS base and fence, it was clear that the fence mounting bracket was bent. This is about 1/8" steel, so it isn't easy to bend. The box looked undamaged, so I am having them send another to replace it. I went ahead and installed the fence and set it up so I could use the saw (now one month since order). I squared up the fence, and then ripped some 6/4 birch. In the middle of the cut a terrible vibration was produced and the work piece came of the blade/fence away from the fence. So, I took my strait edge to the fence. Sure enough, it has a 1-2mm bow in the middle of the fence [thereby pushing the cut wood into the middle of the blade]. But for the riving knife on the SawStop, and my preoccupation with avoiding accidents, I'd probably have a piece of 6/4 birch sticking through my abdomen.

The TS-LS is much more solid than I imagined, and I love the concept. But I'm a little concerned about all the quality problems I have had. Incra is supposed to be the leader in quality measuring? I'm not sure I trust their equipment anymore. I'm sure it will work fine once I get is all replaced and checked out. But I bought Incra because I expect it to be that way from the start. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the shipping box, so I imagine that the bent parts were sent out that way.

I guess I want to warn people not to assume that anything they buy is spot on accurate. Make sure and check with an external standard to make sure.

Matt Moore
05-24-2006, 2:28 PM
I am surprised. I have several of their products and all have been great. I think that every company/person is entitled to make mistakes every once in a while. The difference comes in how they are delt with. Hopefully, you found their customer service to be good.

Of course it is easy to say that until it happens to me.:)

Kyle Stiefel
05-24-2006, 6:00 PM
I guess I want to warn people not to assume that anything they buy is spot on accurate. Make sure and check with an external standard to make sure.

Rich,

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I have ordered several things from them (such as the Incra 5000 sled, DP table, etc.) and have recieved excellent products. I did have one problem in that they sent the wrong measuring tape twice, they said sorry about the problem, sent out another and ended up getting the product for free (every little bit helps).

So my point was I think they have had at in the past excellent customer service and usually a product of excellent manufacturing. I hope it all works out for you.

Kyle

David Giles
05-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Rich,
Isn't it frustrating when the products don't meet reasonable expectations? As consolation, Woodpeck is a good company to deal with and you have every reason to think they will make it right.

Have you tried removing the fence from the mounting bracket? Be good to check the mounting bracket surface just in case it's not the fence extrusion.

Rich Person
05-26-2006, 1:28 PM
Have you tried removing the fence from the mounting bracket? Be good to check the mounting bracket surface just in case it's not the fence extrusion.

Both are damaged, but I did check this. The 6"x3"x1/8" bracket is bent on one side, so it could potential bend the fence if tightened enough. I didn't tighten it very much as I was afraid this might cause a proble. The fence has the bow when not installed on the bracket as well.

Both should be on the way here. Woodpeckers has been good about getting stuff out, I just hope this one is strait when it arrives.

I also ordered a two slab bench kit from Lee Valley, and one of the slabs was warped (twisted) about 3mm. So, they are shipping me a new one. I appreciate good service, but feel like more than half of the items I've ordered recently have flaws that should have been detected before they ship. And while both groups have replaced the defective parts, I've not received any other offers to make up for my lost time and effort. Oh well, that's what I get for not being an S.O.B. on the phone.