PDA

View Full Version : New (for me) lathe (long)

Joe Melton
05-24-2006, 1:27 PM
My bride accompanied me to the last woodworking show in Denver. She's pretty good about tolerating my hobbies. We happened to be at the Laguna exhibit when the demonstrator was slicing paper-thin pieces with their table saw. I shook my head and said it sure would be nice to have a piece of equipment like that, but they are real expensive. Now any of the wives with whom I was formerly acquainted would have said something like "You know you don't need that. Let's go, this is boring. I need to look for some new shoes." Not this wife. My esteem for her increases each day. She said "Well, why don't you stop buying old cars and get yourself some nice equipment? You know you enjoy woodworking so much."
I didn't say anything, but was definitely impressed with her cognitive skills.
Anyway, a few months later, the thought was still there in my mind, unlike 99.9% of the other thoughts I have had in the meantime, so I figured it must be a keeper. I put two old cars up for sale, and sold one of them. Within a week, a Oneway 2416 appeared in the classifieds. It was like a classic case of planets aligning and I jumped on it. The result is that I now have room in my yard for another car and a new lathe in the basement.
Now I said basement, not shop. One doesn't just casually carry a Oneway 2416 lathe into their basement.
I stripped it down as much as possible. Curious, I weighed each part with my bathroom scales:
Bed 265 pounds
HS leg 54
TS leg 39
motor 49
HS 75
TS 52
banjo 22
long tool rest 10
faceplate 5
Total basic lathe 571

I didn't weigh the electrical parts that I also removed. This is the box that mounts to the HS leg and the pendant. The Oneway site says the lathe weighs 650 pounds, but maybe pounds are different in Canada.
The lathe came with some accessories:
17" bed extension 65
outboard bed 115
outboard riser block 56
outboard banjo 55
more tool rests 25
wheels 38

I also scored a drilling attachment, two vicmarc chucks, an axminster chuck and some O'Donnell jaws. Oh, and a vacuum system with three chucks, too. There's a fancy live center with some funnel shaped parts and some spindle extenders and other stuff that I don't recognize, also.

The outboard bed will allow turning up to 44" diameter pieces, and I'm not ready for that, so I'm not going to mount that right now. I will mount the regular bed extension to the outboard side and do bowl turning on that side. The motor reverses, so the threads on both the inboard and outboard sides are right hand.

I was able to carry all of this stuff down the steps myself. I used a furniture dolly for the bed, and it wasn't too bad. Assembly was sort of fun. I did some of it twice, it was so much fun.

I'm very impressed with the quality of this machine. I guess since it costs as much as a nice old car, it should be high quality, though. That 55-pound banjo is pretty impressive in its own right.

Now all I need is talent. And 220 volts. I think I will give my wife the empty spot in the yard as payment for her accumen and advice.
Joe

tod evans
05-24-2006, 1:34 PM
nice gloat joe! congrats on the new toy. tod

Ken Fitzgerald
05-24-2006, 1:52 PM
Congrats Joe on the wife, first and foremost, and on the lathe! Andy will smile!:D

Mike Ramsey
05-24-2006, 2:02 PM
Congratulations on your new (to you) Lathe! Hard to beat it, even with
a stick!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-24-2006, 2:53 PM
What Ken said, but...................

Pictures....? :D

Keith Burns
05-24-2006, 3:04 PM
Wow, Joe ! Thats a gloat to beat all gloats !!! I'll have to come see it the next time I'm in town:) :)

Don Orr
05-24-2006, 4:47 PM
Coupla keepers there-wife and lathe:D . Enjoy both for a long time.

George Conklin
05-24-2006, 4:58 PM
score!!!!!!!

Andy Hoyt
05-24-2006, 5:32 PM
This is Andy in Maine ........... looking up at the gods ........... smiling

Gary Max
05-24-2006, 5:32 PM
My puter must be broke because I does not see the dang pics???????

John Hart
05-24-2006, 7:13 PM
Pretty awesome Joe! I am having a problem with the picture thing too....maybe it's the tracking on my screen or something:confused: I'll keep fiddling with it.:D

Travis Stinson
05-24-2006, 8:06 PM
Outstanding Joe! :D I'm having a little trouble seeing the pics too.:(

Corey Hallagan
05-24-2006, 8:08 PM
Sweet! Excellent gloat and congrats!

Corey

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 8:30 PM
Well, Joe, you may need the talent and 220V but, we need the pictures!!! :D Come on, man! Get with the program here! Especially something which even Andy approves of! Whew...A true "Kodak moment"!!! :D Congrats and enjoy! :) :cool:

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 9:25 PM
That is a great DOUBLE gloat!!! Congrats on the mayo machine.

Pics aren't showing here in the north either though, might want to try reposting them:D

Ron Ainge
05-24-2006, 9:37 PM
Joe

Congrats on the new lathe. I will be in the Springs friday can I come play with it. Just kidding I own some property near Florissant and I am going up there to do some clean up work over the weekend. This time I am taking the Jet Mini VS with me and I will spend some time turnind some of the blue pine I have up there. Best of luck with the new machine and I hope to meet you in the future. If you spent any time watching the turning demos while you were at the wood working shop I was one of the guys doing demo's there. I plan to do that again this year, we may meet again there.

Jim Dunn
05-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Joe congrats on a very nice lady and a real nice piece of machinery. But my eyes must be glazed over as I also don't see not pictures of the "Mayo" machine.

Joe Melton
05-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys. I got the wiring in last night and the lathe runs just fine. It is so quiet I can't even hear it at low speed. It looks so nice in the center of the area, I hesitate to spoil the view with a bunch of wood shavings.
My phone and internet service are down at home so I can't post photos. Keith, come on by the next time you're in town. You can tutor me on the HFs you do. They really are hollow, right?
Ron, I'll be home tomorrow if you want to swing by. Phone no. is in the phone book. It is supposed to be back on today.
Joe

Mark Cothren
05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Thompson
05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Joe a wife that understands is huge plus and a tool that you will never need to replace... priceless

We need pictures

Tom Sherman
05-26-2006, 9:43 AM
To coin a phrase All things comes to those who waits. Sweet one Joe two keepers in one deal not bad.