PDA

View Full Version : Name train

Bobby McCarley
05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Finished this in time for the baby shower. Our daughter and SIL are expecting their first baby in June. This will be our first grandson, to spoil, along with our two granddaughters. They asked me to make a name train for his room, which will be decorated with cars, boats, trains, and planes. I wanted to make something a little more elaborate, but the better half nixed that. Maybe that will be another project.

He will be named after his cousin, our Nephew, who was killed in a motorcycle accident this past December. It was well received and passed the toy test by all the kids at the shower.

Now to make a shelf for it to set on.

Bobby
Louisiana

Charlie Plesums
05-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Beautiful job. If this is simple I would love to see what was more elaborate.

Lars Thomas
05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Well done. That's a nice gesture.

Helen Gee
05-24-2006, 1:02 PM
hey! that is a cool train :) if you don't mind, i may borrow your idea since oodles of my friends are having babies right now :eek: I'm sure your grandson will absolutely love this name train for years to come :)

Roger Los
05-24-2006, 5:03 PM
That's very cool! Hmmmmm...unfortunately, my nephew is just about out of that age range now.

Of course, being the little turkey I was, if I was given one as a kid I'd be looking for naughty words to spell by rearranging the letters...

Frank Chaffee
05-24-2006, 6:18 PM
Bobby,
I commend you for putting your intelligence, skills and resources into creating fine wooden toys for children. This train is much more appropriate to the learning processes of a young child than the vast majority of stuff on the market these days.

Sorry to hear about your nephew.
Frank

Of course, being the little turkey I was, if I was given one as a kid I'd be looking for naughty words to spell by rearranging the letters...
Face it Roger,
You’re still a kid… and nothing wrong with that!
Frank

Frank Pellow
05-24-2006, 8:51 PM
That's a great gift Bobby! I will file the photos away for future reference. I don't (yet) have the skills to make one as good as the one that you made but maybe someday I will.

I am very sorry about your nephew. Nothing is worse than the death of a child.

Jarrod Nelson
05-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Wonderful gift. My dad made name trains for my first 2 sons (hasn't made one yet for the 6 week old). The boys love them and they are proudly displayed in their room.

I'm sure yours will be enjoyed just as much. Nice work.

Bobby McCarley
05-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the comments, they are greatly appreciated. I always enjoy making things for kids. There is no greater joy than seeing a kids eyes light light up whenever they receive something like this. And I agree that a lot of kids spend way too much time playing with high tech toys today. While I'm all for modern high tech gizzmos(SP?), I spent many a day crawling around in the dirt pushing a truck or car around.

Bobby
Louisiana