PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox...

Phil Winn
05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Got some Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish and Waterlox High-Gloss Finish...for my Curly Maple Trestle table. Any suggestions?
How to apply-with rag/pad, or brush? If rag or pad-which? IF BRUSH-which one should I buy? Dunnet Fitch Brush or Omega Lily Oval Brush? How long to dry between coats? Sanding between coats? Any other tips PLEASE?
Thanks,
Phil

Tim Solley
05-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Phil,

I've been using Waterlox on some hard maple and curly maple baby furniture and love the finish it provides! For the curly maple I started by putting a couple coats of boiled linseed oil on to pop the grain. Then followed with three coats of Waterlox, waiting 24 hours between coats. I didn't sand it between, but you could if you want. It dries pretty quick, so dust nibs aren't too bad.

I used to use a foam brush to apply it. It flows nicely because it's really thin. You'll like it. I now spray it and like that method the best.

That's about it. There's not much to this stuff, it's pretty hard to mess up. I think you'll like it!

Tim

Bobby Nicks
05-24-2006, 1:03 PM
I've been using Waterlox for at least 10 years, probably longer. I have always used a clean lint free rag to apply it. The 1st couple of coats soak in pretty fast and I re-coat after 3 or 4 hours. After that I wait 24 hours to recoat. I lightly sand between coats, more to get rid of dust nibs then anything else.

I'm working on some interior doors right now made from Red Oak. I'm putting on 4 coats of Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish follow by one coat of Waterlox High-Gloss Finish. They look pretty good if I do say so.

Bob

Maurice Ungaro
05-24-2006, 1:10 PM
Bobby,
Have you tried the Waterlox Marine Finish? It was recommended to me by the finish guru, Sidney, at Highland Hardware, since I was applying it an exterior door. Stunning results with 2 coats (after 3 coats with original Waterlox).

David Zarzour
05-24-2006, 2:17 PM
Thanks for all the kind words about our products! If I may comment without making this a commercial,

There are many right ways and few wrong ways to apply Waterlox Tung Oil Finishes. It seems that every craftsman has their own way to use our products. Another reason why Waterlox is the choice of so many woodworkers; both pros and do-it-your-selfers. A good rule of thumb is that you can use Waterlox as you would any other varnish.

Waterlox can be brushed, wiped, padded, dipped, rolled, sprayed, wet sanded; we are continually amazed (and sometimes amused) by the techniques that many woodworkers have when applying Waterlox finishes.

All of your methods sound fine, however, in most cases we tell people that less effort can sometime produce the same end result. You might try a test sample by simply laying down 3-4 brush coats and allow the surface to smooth out naturally, without the need for all the extra work. What ever application method that you prefer, the important thing is the YOU are happy with the results… and that you use Waterlox to get them!

David Zarzour
Marketing Manager
Waterlox Coatings Corp
dzarzour@waterlox.com

Bobby Nicks
05-24-2006, 8:44 PM
Bobby,
Have you tried the Waterlox Marine Finish? It was recommended to me by the finish guru, Sidney, at Highland Hardware, since I was applying it an exterior door. Stunning results with 2 coats (after 3 coats with original Waterlox).

Maurice,
No, I've never tried their Marine Finish. Next time I do an exterior door or some deck furniture I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks,
Bob

Phil Winn
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
1. Should I use BLO to pop the figure? <O:p</O:p
2. How much BLO do I use? <O:p</O:p
3. How long to let dry before putting the Waterlox Sealer/Finish on?
Thanks,
Phil
<O:p

Steve Schoene
05-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Do a quick test to see if you can tell whether BLO makes any discernable difference. Waterlox penetrates so nicely that I doubt there will be much effect of the BLO. If you do decide to use BLO all that is needed is a very small amount, with any excess wiped off completely. I'd let it cure for a day or two if the temperature is close to 70 degrees, more if it is cooler. (I'd give at least a week and require passing the sniff test if a polyurethane overcoat, especially waterborne, were intended.)

Alan Turner
05-25-2006, 5:13 AM
Phil,
Great product, and each to his own in tems of application method. The way I do it to minimize the # of cauts required is to start with a dye, if need be, BLO, if need be, then 2 light coats of dewaxed shellac to seal, and then 2-3 ragged coats of Waterlox. I use the shellac as WL penetrates so well that it takes more coats than I prefer to use. Each to his own. 24 hours between coats is good. Sand lightly if need be.

Tim Solley
05-25-2006, 10:10 AM
1. Should I use BLO to pop the figure? <o ="">:p</o>:p
2. How much BLO do I use? <o ="">:p</o>:p
3. How long to let dry before putting the Waterlox Sealer/Finish on?
Thanks,
Phil
<o ="">:p</o>

1. There is no should or shouldn't. Try it on a scrap and see if you like it. My own experience tells me that a little BLO adds to the figure of curly maple. It is easy to apply, cures in a day or two, and can't be screwed up, so I figure why not use it.
2. I just wipe it on with a shop rag. Just dab some on the rag and rub it in. You just need to get some of the oil into the wood.
3. I've had good results waiting a day. Some may say you need to wait longer. I don't know. If figure there's linseed oil in Waterlox, so there won't be any adverse reaction between the two products.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the outcome!

Tim

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the kind words about our products! If I may comment without making this a commercial,

David Zarzour
Marketing Manager
Waterlox Coatings Corp
dzarzour@waterlox.com

David, welcome to the Creek! :) If you haven't had an opportunity to cruise around the SMC forums, please do so. You'll find that we have folks here from all walks of life, as well as WW skills going from the "newbie" to some quite advanced individuals. (I fall in closer to the former...:o ) At any rate, we always welcome input from the "people in the know" and you, most obviously, fall into that category. Any tips, hints or suggestions would always be welcome! :) :cool:

Maurice Ungaro
05-26-2006, 3:34 PM
Well, I should have included this photo before, but here it is. This is the front door, finished with 3 coats of regular Waterlox and 2 coats of Waterlox Marine. It's not too evident, but there is a nice semi-gloss sheen to it.

Bobby Nicks
05-26-2006, 4:47 PM
Maurice, Your door looks good. I really like it.

Bob