PDA

View Full Version : Birch NE

Dick Parr
05-24-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure if I have shown this one before or not, someone has asked that I post it.

It is a Birch NE turned real thin the day after the tree was cut down. It is 6-3/4" Tall x 8" x 6-3/4" at the top and 2-3/8" at the bottom. Soaked in Watco and buffed on the Beall system. There was a lot of movement at the top once it started to thin out and I had to use my hand as a steady rest during the final cuts.

Sorry if has been posted before and thanks for looking.

Keith Burns
05-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Dick, this is one absolutely fantistic NE !!! Absolutely love the form:) :) Perfect in my book !!!:) :)

Andy Hoyt
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Dick - That's the finest example of a Birch NE ICC I've seen in ages.

An ounce of semi-sweet milk chocolae melted intot he bottom to seal against leaks and followed up with two scoops of Island Coconut.

Well done!

Lee DeRaud
05-24-2006, 10:55 AM
It is a Birch NE turned real thin the day after the tree was cut down. It is 6-3/4" Tall x 8" x 6-3/4" at the top and 2-3/8" at the bottom.Very nice!

An ounce of semi-sweet milk chocolae melted intot he bottom to seal against leaks and followed up with two scoops of Island Coconut.Uh...Andy? Better check those dimensions again: it's a lot bigger than it looks.

Andy Hoyt
05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
All depends on how you define scoop!39276

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
GREAT job, Dick!!! I like the shape!!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Lovely bowl, Dick. No wonder they asked you to show it!

Bruce

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Really nice!!

Love the shape!

John Hart
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Yep...I do remember you posting this a few months ago...but guess what? It's Still Pretty!!!!:)

Jerry Ingraham
05-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Dick, that's a great ne bowl. I have a piece of pear which has nice, tight bark and I'm thinking of turning a natual edge bowl out of it. My question is in response to your mention of turning your bowl green. Is that something that is commonly done or did you just decide to do it with this one? Did it warp or wave dramatically after it dried? I suspect that even if it does warp, it would probably add to the form.
Jerry

Mike Ramsey
05-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Dick, that one is deserving of a double post!

Dick Parr
05-24-2006, 2:11 PM
Thanks every one, this was a real challenge being the first thin NE I did.

Jerry, most everything I and a bunch of others turn is from green wood but, normally you turn it pretty thick and let it dry by different methods. The one I use is soaking it in DNA, letting sit for a few weeks and then come back and finish it.

With this bowl though it was cutting so nice that I said what the heck and just kept turning it all the way to the thickness it is now. Water was flying off the wood and the wood was flexing as it got thinner. I had to use my left had as a steady rest to support the thin wall as I cut.

I got the form I was looking for with it wider in one direction at the top then the other, instead of a straight cone shape. I don't think I could have gotten this shape if I come back and turned it when was it dry.

Thanks again for the nice comments

Jerry Ingraham
05-24-2006, 2:22 PM
Dick,
I, too have turned some green wood and dried it in the microwave then finish turned it. I just wondered what would happen on a bowl like yours if it was turned to completion while wet and then left to air dry. Keep me posted as to how much, if any, that it distorts. I think I'm gonna give it a try myself and see what happens. Thanks.

Dick Parr
05-24-2006, 2:30 PM
Jerry this was turned last year and is really dry now. All or at least almost all of the movement happened in the first 48 hrs. There is about a 2" difference in the dimensions of the top of the bowl. I haven't noticed any movement since at least the first week after it was completed.

Chris DiCiaccio
05-24-2006, 2:44 PM
I would call that a "Gallery Class" piece! Great work and wood.

Glenn Hodges
05-24-2006, 4:25 PM
It was so nice to look at it. How long did you soak it?

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2006, 6:07 PM
Very, very nice Dick!!! Congrats on the nice NE turning buddy. You did GOOD!!!:cool:

Corey Hallagan
05-24-2006, 8:42 PM
Beautiful Dick, tha is a sweet piece for sure. Awesome.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Beautiful piece Dick. Wonderful job. Like the form and finish.

Ed Scolforo
05-27-2006, 4:22 PM
Dick, I was just looking back at some of the older posts and I missed this one. All I can say is WOW!! Just beautiful.
Ed