PDA

View Full Version : toolchest for my brother-in-law

Bruce Haugen
05-24-2006, 9:38 AM
About a year ago my brother-in-law asked me to make a toolchest for his gun reloading supplies. I tossed around several ideas and came up with nothing new. My final version takes some methods from each of the classic designs out there and this is what I've done with my free time this spring.

The sides and drawer fronts are QS red oak, drawer parts and slides are maple. Drawer bottoms and case back are 1/4" oak plywood. The top is probably black locust, a board that was given to my BIL by his FIL. The locust top is a floating panel, glued only in the middle to split the seasonal movement. The joint is very similar to a locking joint used in a drawer. The credit belongs to Woodsmith Magazine.

I stuck everything together with liquid hide glue. It was the only kind I could find that would allow me the extended assembly time I needed to put the case together. The bottom and two horizontal dividers connect to the sides with sliding dovetails. It was sure nice to have the time to position everything properly. I really like liquid hide glue and will use it in a lot of indoor furniture from now own. Next time I'll get the good stuff from Patrick Edwards.

I made jigs to hold sides and drawers square while they were clamped. They made life a LOT easier.

Everything is finished with Minwax Antique Oil Finish. Lots of coats, applied with 600 wet or dry paper. Babies will wish that their butts are as smooth as parts of this chest.

My brother-in-law got a toolchest, but I got a great opportunity to learn an enormous amount that the project afforded me. Primarily, I learned two things: Extremely accurate layout is everything and practice cuts (especially on the sliding dovetails) on scrap pieces takes the headaches out of cutting the real parts.

My own toolchest will be coming later this summer. I have a stack of air dried walnut just for this.

I want to say a very special thanks to John D Watson, who provided a lot of inspiration and help throughout this project. Thanks, John!

Enjoy.

Bruce

Brian Buckley
05-24-2006, 9:49 AM
WOW Bruce, this is fantastic. Beautiful workmanship from top to bottom.

Brian

John D Watson
05-24-2006, 9:51 AM
Thanks Bruce, and I must say, well done. I was wondering yesterday when we were going to see a finished box. I'm sure your BIL will get many years of good use out of it. I can't wait to see the walnut version and I'm glad you solved the glue up problem. Again, nice box.

Lars Thomas
05-24-2006, 9:53 AM
Outstanding Work. I'm sure BIL will love it. Lars

Jim Becker
05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Beautiful work, Bruce!

Ben Roman
05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Awesome Work !!

Michael Gibbons
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Your BIL should at least take you out for dinner!

Mike

Jerry Olexa
05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Very nice work Bruce!!! Liked your comments about hide glue. I think its underappreciated...

George Robin
05-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Outstanding!
Beautiful work. Your BIL must love it.
Congrats.
George

Bob Childress
05-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Bruce,

That chest is gorgeous! Good on you!

Dave Mapes
05-24-2006, 1:11 PM
Very, Very nice. I am sure your BIL will get many years out of it.

Dave

Frank Chaffee
05-24-2006, 1:24 PM
Bruce,
Excellent work and a most beautiful chest!
Frank

Bruce Page
05-24-2006, 2:34 PM
Beautiful work! Got any more sisters? :D

tod evans
05-24-2006, 2:47 PM
nice work bruce!

Dan Oelke
05-24-2006, 3:27 PM
Wow - I love it.

Vaughn McMillan
05-24-2006, 4:51 PM
Excellent job on all counts, Bruce. Your BIL is a very lucky guy. Thanks for posting the pics.

- Vaughn

Richard Wolf
05-24-2006, 5:14 PM
Very well done!

Richard

Bruce Haugen
05-25-2006, 9:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I had a lot of fun doing this and thought I'd share.

My BIL is a very good guy, and I'd do it for him just 'cause. However, you need to know that about 8 years ago, he gave me a walnut tree that became the Morris chair I sit in every night.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
05-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Yikes that is awesome! Nice work!

Corey