PDA

View Full Version : Dust Gorilla Update 2

Michael Gabbay
05-24-2006, 8:37 AM
Well I made some major headway on my Super Dust Gorilla installation this week.

First, I got the 220 line wired and the outlet mounted. Then I was able to get the stand assembled and the blower unit, motor, and cyclone barrel assembled. That was the easy part.

The hard part was mounting the cyclone to the stand on top of the bottom cone. I thought through about 5 different ways of doing it. Ranging from pulleys to brute force. After a few trial and errors I settled on a pulley system using 8 pulleys and a come-along. I ended up having to return the original come-along because the step down ratchet did not work. So that set me back some time.

The first picture shows the open space on the far end of the shop where the SDG will be placed. The ceiling is 93" and the SDG is actually 95" tall so the SDG will have to go in between 2 joists.

The second picture is of the motor and impeller. The impeller is 15" diameter by about 4" tall. To balance it they Oneida has ground heavy spots. The motor and impeller weigh about 75 - 85 pounds! And that goes on the tippy top! :eek:

The third picture shows the pulley setup. I used 4 pulleys mounted to the joists and 4 pulleys mounted to the exposed bolt ends of the motor mount. I used the angle iron feet from the stand as my pulley mount on the motor. I highly recommend buying eye-nuts for lifting. I actually bought some from Grainger yesterday to use to add safety straps and for future removal of the unit. They run about $5 each.

For the pulleys, I bought some from HD and Lowes. They are rated at 125 pounds (HD) and 400 pounds (Lowes). Since the total motor/blower/barrel unit weighs about 140 pounds you can probably get by with 125 pound pulleys. SInce the load per pulley will be about 45 pounds.

I ran a line on each side of the unit. The hardest part there is making sure both lines are tied off equally. Each line forms a loop and the pulleys on the unit help to balance the load.

The fourth picture is where I tied off the come-along to an I-beam in the middle of the shop. I had to winch the top unit up about 3 feet and rest it on some sawhorses. I then readjusted the ropes to the pulleys to shorten them and finished the hoist to about 3 inches above the stand height. Then I slid the stand underneath. I put some 4" bolts through the top unit flange to help guide it in place on top of the cone. After lowering one click at a time I was able to position the top unit onto the stand and cone. I then put bolts that Oneida supplied in the holes and finger tightened them. Then I raised the entire unit about an inch to align the bolts. Finally I lowered everything to the floor and tightened all the bolts.

Last night I mounted the filter and switch and tested things out. Tonight I will mount the bag gripper and make a few minor adjustments to the plug placement. I will be ready to start the duct work Friday.

Thanks for looking....

Mike

Steve Clardy
05-24-2006, 9:03 AM
Looking good!!! You're close

Larry Norton
05-24-2006, 9:30 AM
Thanks, Mike, for the pictures! I'll be ordering mine within the next few weeks. I have the perfect place for mine, I have a little bump out and it now houses my Delta DC and my air compressor.

Please keep us posted of the progress.

Larry

Kent Fitzgerald
05-24-2006, 9:48 AM
There may be a good reason why this is a bad idea, but would it be possible to assemble the unit lying on the floor (parallel to the joists) and then stand it up?

In any case, thanks for the pix and congrats on a job accomplished!

Mike Hollingsworth
05-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Isn't it great that they give you the options of applying their decals?
I am very pleased with my 2hp dust gorilla. One day to install it with my brother's help, most time spent arguing over which option to get the dang thing up there.
My unit makes a kind of short metallic shreik sound while starting up? Has anyone else experienced this or have a clue to what it might be?

thanks
mjh

Michael Gabbay
05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
There may be a good reason why this is a bad idea, but would it be possible to assemble the unit lying on the floor (parallel to the joists) and then stand it up?

In any case, thanks for the pix and congrats on a job accomplished!

Kent - a couple of issues with trying to lay it flat and lift up. One, I had limited space to work in and was not sure how easy/difficult it would be. Second, I have limited friends! :D

Actually the pulley system worked great. I got most of the idea from Pete Grass' post a while back and talked with him. The biggest difference is I lifted mine from the motor mount and he did his from the bottom flange. When lifting from the bottom the unit would get VERY unbalanced. He warned me of that so I looked for other ways of lifting it.

Larry - let me know when you get yours. I'd be happy to help if schedule allows.

Mike - I have no unusual sounds from mine. It is without duct work so you might try disconnecting your main line and see if the noise is still there. Just be careful about overheating the motor. OAS said I could place a scrap of wood over part of the inlet to create the resistance of the duct work. Otherwise call OAS. Andy (engineer) has been great to work with.

Mike

lou sansone
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
looking good. makes me think about how I managed to host my Oneida 3 hp industrial system up 10 feet on the out side of my building. I think I actually muscled it up on a couple of ladders. Gee I was stronger a few years ago !

best wishes
lou