PDA

View Full Version : Recent projects

Bob Childress
05-24-2006, 8:19 AM
Fellow Creekers,

By (semi) popular demand, here are some pics of a few recent projects. I am still riding with training wheels on, so judge accordingly. :o

The book cases are oak and oak ply, adjustable shelves. The smaller one was built to accomodate paperbacks. The larger one was partially assembled in the shop (think two bookcases) and joined on site. Lots of glue and pocket screws. Drilled the shelf holes using a peg board jig (came out fine) and drill press, but now want to make a jig so I can use the router and a down spiral bit next time to get cleaner hole edges.

The table is end table height but coffee table length to serve both chairs in the library. All poplar, since I thought it best to "practice" before investing in cherry or mahogany. My first table top glue up, so I was a little nervous. With no jointer in my shop, I edge-joined the board using the router table and some shims. Still not a good as a jointer would have been. ("Oh honey, I bought another tool!") All were stained and then several coats of poly.

Constructive criticism is welcome--I have been around and I can take it.:D

Steve Clardy
05-24-2006, 9:12 AM
Everything looks great Bob!!

Julio Navarro
05-24-2006, 9:29 AM
Very nice Bob. I think I will be doing some book shelves similar to those. Did you do your own design or did you get plans from somewhere?

Did you consider connecting the two shelves via a transom shelf section over the door?

Jerry Olexa
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Nice work Bob. You must be a big reader also as I am...Thanks for posting...

Jerry Ingraham
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Bob, remove the training wheels immediately and throw them away! Great job!

Bob Childress
05-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the strokes, everyone.

Julio, this bookcase was a New Yankee Workshop plan for modular bookshelves. It intrigued me because you could build them in pieces and only assemble them on site, plus add trim. The small one was, of course, just a scaled down version.

I thought about a transition and may still tackle it (I can get the cases apart again if need be) but right now I really need two more cases to get the rest of the books out of the garage. Plus, I am remodeling the kitchen as you read this, putting in porcelain tile countertops, new drawer slides, hardware, etc.

Thanks for looking.:)