PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

Charlie Velasquez
05-24-2006, 4:31 AM
My goose is cooked ..
Used the frying pan from my wife's set of pots and pans (about 15 years old, no longer made exactly like that). Heavy duty stanless steel. Put it on the stove to get it hot, in a hurry so set the heat to high "for just a few seconds" to speed the process. Answered the phone...
When everything settled down and the smoke cleared the only major damage was to her frying pan. The bottom had popped. It no longer sits flat on the heating element, high viscosity foods poured in tend to run to the edges. Claims uneven heating because of it. Bought another frying pan the same size, but she pointed out it doesn't "match the set". Is there a way to get it flat again?

Bill Lewis
05-24-2006, 6:09 AM
Hmmm, I think I see a whole new set of matching pots and pans in your future.

Ned Bulken
05-24-2006, 6:39 AM
of equal or better quality...

Joe Tonich
05-24-2006, 8:59 AM
I'd grab a piece of 2x4, a piece of ply a lil bigger than the bottom of the pan, and a BIG hammer. Heat the pan up a bit and using the 2x4 n hammer, beat the snot outt'a the bottom of the pan. It may work, and if not, it'll make ya feel better and ya can't kill it any more. ;)

THEN go buy Momma a new set.....;) :p :p

Kyle Kraft
05-24-2006, 9:08 AM
Just three words....Lodge Cast Iron!!

Kyle in K'zoo

Steve Clardy
05-24-2006, 9:24 AM
Oops!! Tricks like that made me get a double electric burner for shop use.
I used to make shaker boxes and had to steam heat the pieces for wrapping around pattern blocks. She got tired of the messes I created for some reason:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :)

Mike Evertsen
05-24-2006, 9:33 AM
wife hitting you in the head with the frying pan might help.

Jim Becker
05-24-2006, 10:29 AM
I suspect this is going to cost you a big box of All-Clad before you are done. Once a pan gets overheated like that...it's toast...err...you know what I mean.

Cecil Arnold
05-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Right Jim, All-Clad, the Mini-Max of cookware, couldn't you suggest something like Revereware? Sounds like Charlie's wife has picked up on some of our tool tricks.

Dave Richards
05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Charlie, you need to get her a Lifetime Cookware Skillet. The bottom is so thick there's no way you'd warp it. In fact the pan is so straight, if you leave the lid on it while it is cooling down, it will seal and you'll have to heat it up again to get the lid off.

Of course she'd want the entire set.

Charlie Velasquez
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Yikes! I was hoping for a little... well OK, A LOT of help here! I just googled All Clad and Lifetime Cookware. $900 for the All-Clad and $1,000 for the 9-piece set Lifetime (USED!!). I could buy a bandsaw and jointer for that!

Pots and pans can't really cost that much! I still can't figure out why they have to match. I have Dewalt, B&D, Craftsman, Delta, Grizzly, etc in my shop. They can all get along together. Why can't her stuff learn to just all be friends. A little snobbish if you ask me.

I may try the 2X4 suggestion...

Bryan Somers
05-24-2006, 1:05 PM
I still can't figure out why they have to match.

Trust us.... They have to!!!!!

Sorry but it is toast. You might try checking out Food Network for the line that Emeril Lagasse endorses.Dont know if this helps much. Oh and a trip to the florist and /or jewelers wouldnt hurt.

Wes Bischel
05-24-2006, 1:15 PM
I'd have to go with Kyle on this one - cast iron is the way to go for frying pans. Non-stick, easy to clean with just a wipe. LOML doesn't use them, so we have a SS pan for her - it makes her happy.

Just remember to get her what she wants - then take the old set for your projects.

Wes

skip coyne
05-24-2006, 1:49 PM
find a matching one on ebay .

Ive tried beating them flat with minmal succsess .

(you can warp cast iron to just takes a little longer ...)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2006, 4:30 PM
If you take a regular steel wire coat hangar and bend it into a star shape the size of the pan base you can teach her to use it on the burner under the pan. That will lift the pan from direct contact with the element and cause the pan to heat perfetly evenly.

Just don't invite me over the evening you plan to do this.

Note: a Gas range will apply even heat to uneven pans.
For a gas range think: Comstock Castle : The only company insulating a commercial gas range for residential applications. It may be more pricy than new pans but - - - - -

Randy Meijer
05-25-2006, 12:43 AM
I doubt that you will ever get it back to original factory flatness. First thing I would do is email the manufacturer and see if they have a repair service and if a repair is possible.

Failing that, I might invest in a 1 ton HF arbor press or a 6 ton A-frame shop press and see if I could get the pan close enough to make the wife satisfied.....you ain't going to make her happy unless you invest that $1000 in a new set!!! The arbor press is $44 and the A-frame is $60. If it doesn't work, at least you get a new tool out of the effort!!:D :D

According to the catalog, the arbor press will only handle 8" of diameter.....I assume that means 4" from the center of the ram to the edge of the frame. That may not be big enough to deal with your problem if you have a big pan and the high spot is in the center of the pan. I just went back and looked at the other press and it says it will handle 10 3/4" work so it may be a little small too. HF has another 6 ton shop press that appears to be somewhat bigger... different frame design.....that goes for $70. Maybe you can find a local machine shop or automotive shop that has a big press and would be sympathetic to your situation.

And if you have to buy a new or eBay set, maybe you can recoup some of your investment by selling the old set on eBay.....by the piece or as an incomplete set?? Don't know which would offer a higher return?? Randy

Steve Clardy
05-25-2006, 1:03 AM
1973 [the year we got married] I bought my wife a 12 piece set of Permanent pots and pans. $300.00 was a lot of money back then.
Guranteed for life.
About ten years ago, She left the big skillet on the electric stove. Forgot about it. We had to run to town, so figured we would eat in town. Came back two hours later, and that skillet had tried to leave the stove. It popped the bottom loose, destroying it.
She contacted permanent, inquiring about a replacement, to buy.
They sent a new one out, [different style as these were no longer made] free of charge, postage paid.
I suggest calling up whoever made yours and inquire about warranty, and seeing if they still make them.

Charles McKinley
05-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Now that you are over the sticker shock you can add health craft to the list to check out. Also check out the websites for cookiing tips using the cookware.

Randy Meijer
06-08-2006, 6:08 PM
OK, Charlie, how did you finally resolve this problem??

Bob Weisner
06-08-2006, 8:48 PM
What brand of cookware was it that got damaged?

Jim Becker
06-08-2006, 9:33 PM
For a gas range think: Comstock Castle : The only company insulating a commercial gas range for residential applications.

DCS is also one of the few companies that do commercial ranges as well as residential. I chose it over Viking, Dacor, Thermador and a few others. They are now owned by Fisher Paykel.

Pots and pans can't really cost that much!

Yea, they can. I have a couple All-Clad pans and a few other different ones of various manufacturers. There is a noticeable difference in cooking performance. I will say that the "house brand" at Buh-buh-buh (Bed Bath and Beyond) is relatively decent in the thick bottom and even cooking area...not as good as the pro pans, but at a fraction of the cost.

Ian Abraham
06-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Switch to cast iron, you wont regret it :D

I have a cast iron frying pan that I lent to a freind, and it is in a total loss house fire, her aluminium pan was melted in the cast iron one. A few minutes with a wire brush / angle grinder and the cast pan was ready to re-season and use again. The Ali one is still a puddle.

Just make sure you dont get into trouble again though, you DO NOT want to get hit around the head with a cast iron pan :eek:

You dont have to go fancy with the cast stuff either, it's not exactly high tech rocket science. Old school stuff from 100 years ago, when pots and pans lasted long enough to be handed down ;)

Cheers

Ian

Charlie Velasquez
06-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi, sorry to not post the resolution. The set was Revere, but not the copper clad. Don't think we spent more than $75 on the whole set when we got them, so I really didn't want to invest a lot to replace it. I tried the ebay thing, but could only find copper clad.

All our kids are gone, so we don't do a lot of cooking anymore, we tend to do salads and soups. Deep down, I really don't think the wife cares that much about the pans, she was never into cooking that much. I think it was more about her subliminally saying, "You get all mad and upset if I use (read-abuse, lose, don't put back) your tools, but now see what it is like when the shoe is on the other foot."

So as of now there is no resolution. She gets to put this in her kitty and pull it out if she needs it. The next time she uses a chisel to open a can of paint, I'll just smile and keep my mouth shut.

Randy Meijer
06-09-2006, 3:29 AM
Switch to cast iron, you wont regret it :D

Do what Charlie did to a cast iron skillet and you will likely warp the bottom so it will no longer sit flat, either. Other problem is that most women can't lift a 12" cast iron fry pan. I've got a bunch of CI skillets and several Dutch ovens. They're great for cooking; but do have limitations that many women won't tolerate.

Vaughn McMillan
06-09-2006, 3:30 AM
...The next time she uses a chisel to open a can of paint, I'll just smile and keep my mouth shut.
LOL...A good man knows when he's been beaten. ;)

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
06-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Other problem is that most women can't lift a 12" cast iron fry pan.

Careful there, Randy...never make a general statement that could result in said cast iron pan coming in contact with the back of your head! ;) :D

tod evans
06-09-2006, 11:54 AM
randy, have you ever seen a mad woman?:eek:

Randy Meijer
06-10-2006, 3:47 AM
Todd: You mean angry or crazy?? Never mind.....I' ve been married to one of each!!:D :D

Jim: I don't touch her pots and she doesn't touch mine!!;)

Curt Fuller
06-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Sounds like you've got a new camping pan Charlie and the wife's gonna get a new set of pans for Father's Day.