PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP question.

Tony Sade
09-06-2003, 8:45 AM
I recently upgraded my PC to XP (clean install on a new hard drive) and while I generally like it, there's one thing I really miss from my previous OS-WinME-the "show desktop" icon that used to reside on the taskbar next to the start icon. One click, and no matter how many windows I had open, the desktop appeared and I could open yet another window. Does XP have a counterpart?

Also, how do I change the fonts-size and style-so that they stay changed when I shut down and start up again? Thanks, Tony

Jason Roehl
09-06-2003, 9:15 AM
I recently upgraded my PC to XP (clean install on a new hard drive) and while I generally like it, there's one thing I really miss from my previous OS-WinME-the "show desktop" icon that used to reside on the taskbar next to the start icon. One click, and no matter how many windows I had open, the desktop appeared and I could open yet another window. Does XP have a counterpart?

It sure does, Tony. It may be an extra step from what you're used to, but you can right-click on the taskbar or in the systray and select "Show Desktop". Perhaps someone else knows a way to bring up the icon to which you are referring. As for your second question, well, I haven't had my coffee yet. :o

Ted Shrader
09-06-2003, 10:23 AM

Also, how do I change the fonts-size and style-so that they stay changed when I shut down and start up again? Thanks, Tony

Tony -

Right click on the Taskbar. Go to Properties (at the bottom of the list). Click on the Taskbar tab on the display. Check the Show Quick Launch box. Should be all set.

The fonts size and style should auto save. Must be something buried way deep that is checked (or not checked)

Good luck,
Ted

Tony Sade
09-06-2003, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the help.

Tom Sweeney
09-06-2003, 11:11 PM
I'm still in the stone ages of 98se & this works for me so try it & see. simultaneously hit the windows key on your keyboard (just below the question mark has the flying windows logo) & the M key. Instant desktop. Don't ask me why but it works.

Aaron Koehl
09-08-2003, 8:27 AM

If your keyboard has a Windows key-- simply press WindowsKey+D.
This will show your desktop. :D

_Aaron_

Bert Johansen
09-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Tony,

You can also drag icons from the desktop to the taskbar, where your one-click trick works. If you "hide" the taskbar, this keeps the real estate at max yet your apps are instantly available.

Bert