PDA

View Full Version : Pocket joints

David Scigliano
05-23-2006, 11:27 PM
I am building a large Entertainment center in my garage. This will be a built in that goes in a media niche. I am using alot of Pocket joints with my new Kreg tool. I would like to assemble it in the garage with the Kreg screws, smooth everything out, then disassemble the ET so I can stain it and move it in the the house. I am wondering if I do this will I strip the holes when I try to reassemble it in the house? I am using Maple and maple ply with course Kreg screws. Or should I just cut all the pieces, Pre drill the pocket holes, stain it and then assemble once in the house and hope for the best?

Alan Tolchinsky
05-24-2006, 1:08 AM
If you're at all careful you shouldn't strip the screw holes. The safe way to do it would be to hand screw the last 1/8" or so. But with an adjustable clutch drill set at a low setting you shouldn't have any problem. Just practice to be sure and you'll have no problem. Pocket screws are very convenient.

rick fulton
05-24-2006, 7:21 AM
David -

I just did something like that with my kitchen cabinets. A few pocket screws did have problems due to minor alignment changes. If I were to do it again, I'd add a few spare (virgin) pocket holes in areas of high stress or areas which may need a custom alignment to fit into a niche.
I'd like to see some before / after pics.

Good Luck.
rick

Mark Singer
05-24-2006, 8:01 AM
Try using a smaller screw and lighter torque the for assembly