PDA

View Full Version : Office cabinet design in sketchup

Larry Browning
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I am working on designing cabinets for our home office. We have a nice L shaped mission style desk that pretty much takes up 2 walls. I want to build a set of upper cabinets above the desk. I have drawn one of the cabinets using Sketchup. What do you think of my design and what improvements would you make. I was thinking I might just make a solid inset door instead of the rail and style door I have drawn.
PS this is my 1st Sketchup drawing. Hopefully it will get easier. The dimensions are probably not exactly right. But I am just in the planning stages.

Dave Richards
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Larry, I think it looks pretty good. I like the frame and panel doors and the panelled side. Would the other side be done the same? I assume you've added some false tenons on the front?

You've got a good, loose start there in your drawing. Excellent way to get started with a design without investing in a lot of details that might get changed. Keep up the good work.

If you don't mind a little SU tip, Click on Window>Model Info and select Units. Uncheck the box for Enable Length snapping and set the Precision to 1/64" That will make it easier to make things proper sizes.

Your cabinet is 38 19/32" wide and top rail of the face frame is 3 7/64" wide. Of course you might want dimensions like that. I don't know. I'm only guessing you don't.

Larry Browning
05-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Larry, I think it looks pretty good. I like the frame and panel doors and the panelled side. Would the other side be done the same? I assume you've added some false tenons on the front?

Dave,
This is just one cabinet of several I will be making. Only the ones on each end of the set will have paneled sides and only on one side. Yes, those are false tenons to match the desk.

If you don't mind a little SU tip, Click on Window>Model Info and select Units. Uncheck the box for Enable Length snapping and set the Precision to 1/64" That will make it easier to make things proper sizes.

Your cabinet is 38 19/32" wide and top rail of the face frame is 3 7/64" wide. Of course you might want dimensions like that. I don't know. I'm only guessing you don't.
Thanks for the tip. I need all the help I can get. So far, I am just in a conceptual phase, I am not too worried about exact dimensions as of yet. My next attempt will be a corner cabinet. I have a starting model I downloaded from 3D Warehouse.

Dave Richards
05-24-2006, 8:33 AM
Larry, it is good to start as you have with the concept using minimal detail. Exact dimensions can come later once you've figured out the ideas.

Two more hints for you. First, you might consider drawing in the walls, windows and the existing desk to give some context to your cabinets. You could make this very simple--just a box for the desk and a hole for the window. Save the room drawing as a component which you can import into a new drawing in which you would draw the cabinets. Since the room would be a component, new geomtery won't stick to it and since it is saved already, you can make as many new drawings including it as you'd like.

Also, when you import the room drawing, make a separate layer for it and place the room on that layer. You can turn the layer off when it might get in your way and hide the room.

Second, when you get to the point where you are drawing in a more detailed fashion, make sure to employ groups and components. This will make editing later much easier.

Larry Browning
05-24-2006, 9:40 AM
Oh, Man!!! Do I have a lot to learn!!!!!! You are speaking Greek to me:confused:

I started working on the corner cabinet this morning. Maybe I can try drawing the room and desk tonight. I am sure I will have lots of questions and re-read you last post many times.

Dave Richards
05-24-2006, 9:51 AM
Is that "Greek" or "geek"? :D

If you have any questions feel free to ask. PM me if you'd like.