PDA

View Full Version : A few more Turnings

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-06-2003, 8:04 AM
Here are a few more things that have resulted from the past 2 days of learning and practicing Turning Skills. The 2 small Goblets were easier than I thought they would be, but using some Mahogany Terry gave me, they turned very nicely. Mahogany is really nice to turn! The Elm Bowl has some nice coloration and spalting, but the wood is kinds punky in spots, so it isn't as smooth as I would have liked, but the Elm was pretty cooperative to turn...............Jason was right, Elm likes sharp tools...........sure am glad I bought the Wolverine System, it makes sharpening the various tools a snap. The "Warped Bowl" was a first attempt by my Son, Chris. It was turned from green Oak, and then he dried it in the Microwave, 1 minute cycles, not sure how many times he cycled it thru. He thought it was neat that you could hear the moisture in the wood sizzle after it came out of the oven! ;) Anyway, it warped just like David Ellsworth said it would on his Video! :D Thanks for the words of encouragement and taking the time to look at the work. Man, I wish I would have bought a Lathe YEARS ago.........this Turning really is FUN! :D

Brad Schafer
09-06-2003, 8:29 AM
the goblets are cool, and the oak "sunburst" bowl is *outstanding* ... but how did you do that blue thing on the left? :D

dang it, now i suppose i have to add a lathe to my wishlist ...

very nice work,

b

Lynn Sonier
09-06-2003, 9:12 AM
Really nice work. However, maybe you'd better take a few hours to sleep!!
Lynn

Jim Becker
09-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Have I mentioned the word, "addiction" yet?? :D

John Miliunas
09-06-2003, 11:34 AM
...So much for the flatwork! Heck, I'm almost thinking you're going to need a SECOND lathe, just to keep one free'd up for yourself! I've been putzin' with the spinny thing for close to a year now and still have yet to turn a goblet! Nice job on all of them! (I'm starting to hear my poor old lathe calling out to me....!) :cool:

Doug Jones
09-06-2003, 2:09 PM
Kevin,
Very nice indeed. You say these are your first few attempts,, i'm inpressed with all.

Where did you find a chapstick tube that big though?,,,,,

or are the gobblets small, I need to sit a spell and think about this.

Good job, keep'em coming.

dang it, now i suppose i have to add a lathe to my wishlist ...

b

I know what you mean Brad, I've already been figuring how many pins and bowls I'd have to sell in order to payoff a new lathe. If Ken didn't live so far from me I think I would of had a lathe now, the one he is selling.

Richard Allen
09-06-2003, 5:14 PM
Oh my GOD!!! There is no help for you now. Corners are a thing of the past!!!

Brad Schafer
09-06-2003, 8:07 PM
I know what you mean Brad, I've already been figuring how many pins and bowls I'd have to sell in order to payoff a new lathe.

doug - i was thinking more along the lines of how many pieces i would screw up before i ended up with something as nice (let alone useful) as kevin. but you certainly do have a point. ;)

b