PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation clarification

Tom Sherman
05-23-2006, 8:51 PM
At the risk of admitting my lack of knowledge, I have to ask can someone clue me in as to what some of these abbrv. are? It has been quite a while since I have seen some of them and I never have seen others.

John Hart
05-23-2006, 9:00 PM
Hmmm. I know some of them.

NE - Natural Edge
DNA - DeNatured Alcohol
BLO - Boiled Linseed Oil
LOML - Love of my life
DAMHIKT - Don't Ask Me How I Know This
BE - Box Elder
LOL - Laughing Out Loud
ROFL- Rolling On Floor Laughing
BS - Band Saw
TS - Table Saw
SS - See Saw

There's gotta be a million of em :)

Tom Sherman
05-23-2006, 9:05 PM
John that clears up a couple of the questions I had. I must admit that I was having some strange times trying to figure some of them out. Shoot I thought that DAMHIKT was some kind of refference to country folk, and BLO was well cocain. I should have known better. Thanks much

Steve Ash
05-23-2006, 9:10 PM
Uh.......John. SS stands for Super Sport....AMHIKT:D (Ask me how I know this)

Here is a list from the archives...and welcome to the creek!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27040&highlight=acronyms

Jim Dunn
05-23-2006, 9:16 PM
I thought SS stood for Stand Still:)

Mark Pruitt
05-23-2006, 9:27 PM
Tom,
If you go to www.acronymfinder.com (http://www.acronymfinder.com) you'll be able to type in the acronym in question and get the answer about 99% of the time. Most acronyms will yield multiple answers but it's usually easy to figure out from the context which answer applies.

HTH!

Barry Stratton
05-23-2006, 9:29 PM
Welcome to the creek Tom! A great place to hang out.

I always thought SS meant stainless steel...................

Mark Cothren
05-23-2006, 9:30 PM
Shoot I thought that DAMHIKT was some kind of refference to country folk

Well I'll be a suck-egg mule... and you had gotten off to such a good start, Tom....:rolleyes:

I hate it when you talk about Dennis like that......;)

Curt Fuller
05-23-2006, 9:34 PM
Then there's always JSYK, Just So You Know, which is one my wife uses to let me know that what ever follows it is something I'd better remember.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2006, 11:35 PM
And then there's always...........TLA..............three letter acronym.....

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Well I'll be a suck-egg mule... and you had gotten off to such a good start, Tom....:rolleyes:

I hate it when you talk about Dennis like that......;)

Hey now......!!!!!!!!! I resembull that there re-Mark!!!! :D

Oh....and welcome to the Creek Tom!!!!!

Tom Sherman
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I did not imagine that there would be soo many responses to this, but I am glad there were. It has been a long time since I have been exposed to so many accronims (spelling) and was feeling a bit lost there. It is easy to see that I will enjoy this site the light hearted have fun attitude here just fits my nature. I have been known to give a few ribbings as well as being thick skinned enough to take some as well. Thanks again all.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2006, 4:37 PM
John that clears up a couple of the questions I had. I must admit that I was having some strange times trying to figure some of them out. Shoot I thought that DAMHIKT was some kind of refference to country folk, and BLO was well cocain. I should have known better. Thanks much

Yeah well you were right the first time around.

ITF you can simply apply TMLR to any IOT & you'll be fine almost 24-7-365.

Chris Damm
05-24-2006, 6:32 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Ash]Uh.......John. SS stands for Super Sport....AMHIKT:D (Ask me how I know this)

SS396 is the correct full name!
As in El Camino SS396!

Joe Pelonio
05-24-2006, 7:43 PM
Omg!! Roflol. Fubb. Hoogaff.

Sigg

Lopaka Garcia
05-26-2006, 6:05 AM
A lot of acronyms apply elsewhere on the Internet but I found that woodworkers have a language all of their own. Here are a few that I can remember.

MS: Mineral Spirits
RAS: Radial Arm Saw
IMHO: In My Humble Opinion
FWIW: For What It's Worth
ROS: Random Orbit Sander
LOML: Love Of My Life
BIL/SIL: Brother/Sister In Law