PDA

View Full Version : I've go egg (or is it MUD) on my face!

Dale Thompson
05-23-2006, 8:23 PM
Hi Folks,
After 38 years of snowmobiling, I've decided to give it up. Of late (unlike the 70s), our decreased snowfall up here has limited our trail time and I'm getting WAAAY to old to put on all of those clothes. Bending over is easy but standing up with all that "gear" on is another matter. :( Besides, I'm getting to like COLD weather less and less. :mad:

Anyway, I have a problem. :( My wife, Judi, is an AVID snowmobiler!! :eek: To get myself back from sleeping out in the mosquito swamp with no net, I promised her a "compromise" and bought a couple of ATVs to replace the snowmobiles that I plan to sell. :cool: :eek:

Whatever, after our first couple of rides, I came to realize that trail dust is a problem. :( I've got a number of full-face and open-face helmets for the snowmobiles. The dust, however, remains a problem because I would rather do warm weather riding with an open-face! :cool:

Are there any magic solutions out there? Thus far I've found that a simple shop dust mask and a good pair of goggles are OK but I was wondering if anyone had a better solution. :cool:

Thanks, cough, cough, in advance for any help that you can give me!! :)

Dale T.

Jason Roehl
05-23-2006, 9:05 PM
Ummm...go 4-wheeling in mud? :D Sorry...couldn't resist. I really don't have any other GOOD solutions.

Don Baer
05-23-2006, 9:21 PM
How about an SCBA...;)

Joe Breid
05-23-2006, 9:51 PM
Dale,

There are three ways that I use to keep from eating dust.

1. ATV in the Rain
2. After the rain.
3. Some one has to be the lead machine to keep the others from getting lost. Why not you? Remember the lead dog is the one with the view, The rest of the pack just gets to see....... well you know the rest!

Joe

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2006, 9:58 PM
As I always say.....You always know a happy biker by the bugs in his teeth. :D

Dale Thompson
05-23-2006, 10:18 PM
What a GREAT bunch of FRIENDS I have!! :mad: Do you all think that I am STUPID or something?? :cool: ;) :) I AM the lead dog but Judi is getting a bit ticked at viewing my shapely derriere through a cloud of DUST!! :(

Either I get some help or I am back in the mosquito swamp!! :p :p

Dale T.

Frank Chaffee
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Pesh,
Seeing my friend in need I immediately clamped battery charger leads to my earlobes and jump started my three remaining brain cells (affectionately referred to by my friends as M.ANIAC (Mammalian .Alt Numerically Irrational Accessing Computer)), and set to work on your problem.

After heated debate (I had to put an ice bag on my head), one of my brain cells stomped out. Well good riddance, anybody knows that three is a crowd!

Fortunately I still had a quorum, and the remaining cells unanimously reached opposite conclusions, and the larger cell (maybe I’m having a stroke?), presented the answer that will solve all of your recreational problems.

Since you did not make any association between the hauling of your snowmobiles around behind your SUV and the lessening of snow upon which to ‘bile, how about you connect flex duct from the ATV exhaust ports to your full face helmet?

You could consider taking a walk?

Call me if you need more help.

Yours,
Frank

EDIT!

Dale, Heed this alert!!!

DO NOT TRY THIS POWERED HELMET VENTILATION DESIGN AT HOME!!!

Moments ago as I was on the edge of a good nights sleep, my smaller brain cell (apparently the “Big Sell” is downstairs playing poker with the neighborhood thugs), whispered important information in my ear which I must share with you immediately!

There is bad stuff coming out of those exhaust ports, fit for neither man nor beast! DO NOT breathe that exhaust!!!

Before I post another of my designs I will run it by LOVIAC (Lady Of Virtue with Immaculate All-encompassing Compassion). She would never let something this seriously flawed into print.

Yours in faux pas,:o
Frank

Steve Clardy
05-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Just open mouth and suck it in.:)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Dale...

Respro masks is what you want.

They have some really good products, and even the Bandit one works well, and is easy on the pocket book.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cspoutdoors_1893_24463109
Combines a comfortably stretchy 100% cotton scarf with a washable activated charcoal filter to protect your face from diesel smoke, dust and similar airborne pollutants and filth. Filters last six months in regular use. Popular for years in larger European and Asian cities and now available here.

Lots of companies sell these products, they work VERY well.

Respro also has much more comprehensive masks....

Sportsta Mask
<input name="productid" value="17473" type="hidden"><input value="" name="cat" type="hidden"> <input value="" name="page" type="hidden"> <form name="orderform" method="post" action="/cart.php" onsubmit="javascript: return FormValidation();"></form> <table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="100"> <script language="JavaScript1.2"> <!-- function productimagedetail(product_id) { var w = 120; var h = 120; var center = ',left = 387,top = 309'; window.open('http://www.aerostich.com/product_detailed_images.php?productid='+product_id ,"detailedproduct","width="+w+",height="+h+",resizable,scrollbars=yes,status=no'"); } --> </script> http://www.aerostich.com/files/images/1557_1sa.jpg
(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20productimagedetail%2817473%29;)
</td> <td valign="top"> A cool wearing, fully ventilated rider's mask for filtering the sub-micron particulates (pollen, dirt, tire and brake dust, etc.) that assault urban rider's everywhere on bad days. Its replaceable filter is made of electrostatically charged fibers for maximum effectiveness. If you commute via a dense ten lane or ride downtown many days in a row, this will make it better.</td></tr></tbody> </table>
I can recommend these products, as I've used them, and they work.

The Bandit may be all you need, it worked well for me.

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 3:40 AM
Dale...

Respro masks is what you want.

I can recommend these products, as I've used them, and they work.

The Bandit may be all you need, it worked well for me.

Cheers!

Can't wait to see pics of the tan lines after wearing one of those on a hot sunny day........ Seriously - they work well.

Peter Stahl
05-24-2006, 7:16 AM
Dale, Maybe a full windshield would help?

nic obie
05-24-2006, 1:45 PM
Dale,

In our off road desert race car we use a Parker-Pumper.

http://www.parker-pumper.com/shop_prodhoriz.asp?grp=Parker+Pumper+Helmets&cat=helmet+pumpers&prod=PARKER+PUMPER+MOTOR+I%2FS+AIR

This unit hooks up to your helmet. Helps to keep you cool too.

tod evans
05-24-2006, 2:04 PM
to old for snowmobiles, adversly affected by dust generated by atv`s......hmmmmm.......how `bout battery powerd wheelchairs on the nice little blacktop path at the retirement meca?

just eat bugs-n-be happy! tod

Dale Thompson
05-24-2006, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Chaffee]Pesh,
You could consider taking a walk?
Yours,
Frank

Hi Arena,
With friends who are TRULY interested in my welfare like Jason, Don, Joe, Dennis, "Purty" Clardy, Stu, Barry, Peter, Nic and Tod, do you REALLY think that I need a friend like YOU? :confused: Judi has tried the "flex-tubing" thing many times. The pressure drop through that stuff is SOOO bad that I am still alive. :D

OK! The REAL question! ;) If I wanted to WALK, I would have become a proverbial bleeding-heart Liberal! :( I like the BIG gas-guzzling SUVs that amplify the outrageous profits of those capitalist Oil Companies. I even drill holes in my gas tanks so that I can further contribute to their wealth!! I just LOVE when the price of "crude" goes up!! :cool: :eek: With every increase of $1 in the price of "crude", my ethanol stocks go up by $2,000! If you don't believe me, just check out the history of Pacific Ethanol (PEIX) over the last six months. :)

Hey, bud, I still love ya but I think that I have to go for a "conservative" walk! ;) :) Incidentally, a "walk" for a northwoods redneck is about nine steps to the nearest "copper boiler" - if you know what I mean! :cool:

Friends,
Dale T.

Ray Bersch
05-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Dale, teach your wife how to fish. Give a woman a fish and she will fry you up a super meal - teach her how to fish and she will stay in a boat all day (thus, no ATV or snowmobile.)

Ray

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 10:42 PM
What???? :eek: You mean to have us believe that, the trails up there aren't blacktopped???? Who'd have ever thunk??? :D :cool:

Frank Chaffee
05-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Arena,
With friends who are TRULY interested in my welfare like Jason, Don, Joe, Dennis, "Purty" Clardy, Stu, Barry, Peter, Nic and Tod, do you REALLY think that I need a friend like YOU? :confused:
Friends,
Dale T.
But just think Pesh,
With a friend like me you’ll never need enemas!

Yours,
Frank

Dale Thompson
05-24-2006, 10:52 PM
What???? :eek: You mean to have us believe that, the trails up there aren't blacktopped???? Who'd have ever thunk??? :D :cool:

Hey Spring,
What's "Blacktop"? :confused: :)

dale

Dale Thompson
05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
But just think Pesh,
With a friend like me you’ll never need enemas!

Yours,
Frank

Hey Frank,
I'm grieving! :( My LAST bastion has fallen! :( Now I can count on ZERO fingers the number of Liberals who are NOT anal!! :cool: :eek:

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
05-25-2006, 12:43 AM
No blacktop to ride on:confused: :confused: :confused:
Have you ever seen blacktop:confused: :confused: :confused:

Just where do you reside Dale:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D

Frank Chaffee
05-25-2006, 8:05 AM
Hey Spring,
What's "Blacktop"? :confused: :)
dale

No blacktop to ride on:confused: :confused: :confused:
Have you ever seen blacktop:confused:

Just where do you reside Dale:confused: :rolleyes: ;) :D
Steve,
We got plenty of blacktop here in Wisconsin, but some less endowed souls among us (and I won’t mention any names here), have trouble keeping it on the road. When and if (again I won’t mention Pesh specifically), he learns to keep it on the road, we will move on to the “Shiny Side Up” lesson.

Frank

Frank Chaffee
05-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Well Pesh my dear friend,
Should it be any consolation,
Today I got far more mud on my face playing with concrete than you will get on yours in the next hundred years of your life expectancy ATVing around our precious wild places here in Wisconsin.

The power screed I ran (ran from?), drove (that drove me?), consumed about as much gasoline today as your SUV does whilst backing up to your trailer loaded with noisy destructive “recreational” machinery.

Should you require safe transit to and from your preferred still in the woods, I assure you that I can design a green (certainly not as in “Mark Green”), mechanism that will serve your needs.

Yours,
Frank