PDA

View Full Version : just a post

Joe Tonich
05-23-2006, 7:48 PM
to get rid of the dreaded 66_ post count...:eek: :eek:

Ned Bulken
05-23-2006, 8:11 PM
One.. is the loneliest number that you'll ever see... two, can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number next to Number One.

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 9:01 PM
to get rid of the dreaded 66_ post count...:eek: :eek:

Good for you, Joe! And good riddance, heh?! :D :cool:

Mark Pruitt
05-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Funny story but absolutely true: At the hospital where I was employed before moving here, on the 6th floor the room number sequence skips from 665 to 667. No room 666. (Which always made me wonder if a patient in room 667 thought about how that was really 666.):eek: To my knowledge no one ever raised that question with the chaplain, but obviously it was a big issue for someone in administration!

Bill Lewis
05-24-2006, 6:55 AM
No room 666!? How funny. There are a lot of buildings out there that don't have 13th floors either. They just skip right over from 12 to 14.

The funny thing is that the 666 number was created for the movies. It is not based or derived from any occult or satanic basis. The number 13 on the other hand has a deep seated history.

Mark Pruitt
05-24-2006, 8:42 AM
The funny thing is that the 666 number was created for the movies. It is not based or derived from any occult or satanic basis. The number 13 on the other hand has a deep seated history.
To my knowledge, the earliest appearance of 666 is in first century biblical literature; in Revelation there is reference to a "beast" that arises, takes power, and forces everyone to have "666" placed on either their hand or forehead (gee, at least they're given a choice!). It is mostly based on that reference that there is such an aversion to that number these days. I like to kid around with people sometimes, like when I see a "333" I'll say in a scary voice "Oh, you're halfway there!"

As to the true meaning of that reference, it has held vastly diverse interpretations over the centuries and has been the subject of lively (or deadly?) debate at times.:confused:

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2006, 9:02 AM
You did good Joe!!!! Just work your way towards 777. ;)

Steve Clardy
05-24-2006, 9:27 AM
Looks like you made it past 666 Joe.

Mark Cothren
05-24-2006, 9:42 AM
The answer, quite simply, is that is the number documented in the Bible as the mark of the beast - the antichrist.

Bill Lewis
05-24-2006, 10:14 AM
My reference was based on recalling an interview with someone associated with the movies which by the number 666 was made famous. One of those "Damian" movies. After posting I thought I should check out my "facts" and found via wikipedia.com they list the following

Revelation 13:16-18 states:
<DL><DD>"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666." </DD></DL>So there is a biblical reference to the number. How it is interpreted it is up to the individual. I'm not going there as I think it is against the TOS of SMC to get in to religious discussions. Besides, I'd lose any argument regarding the bible. Pretty much the worst catagory for me while playing along with "Jeopardy".

Oh, and wikipedia also lists quite a few other references to the number. Like the sum of the digits on a roulette wheel equals 666 and lots of other mathematical references. Nothing which have to do with anything that it is popularly associated.

OTOH, June 6, 2006 is just around the corner!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2006, 3:32 PM
One.. is the loneliest number that you'll ever see... two, can be as bad as one, it's the loneliest number next to Number One.

No is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever know
one is the loneliest number even worse than two