PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt miter saws questions???

Jim Hoelzel
05-23-2006, 6:50 PM
I am looking to purchase a new miter saw. I am looking at the Dewalt double bevel, NON-slider models. My local dealer has a DW 706 and the DW 716 available. The prices are $30.00 difference, other than that I do not know what the other advantages are of each saw. Can anyone give me a comparision of the two?
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks,
<o:p> </o:p>
Jim

Don Baer
05-23-2006, 6:55 PM
I've had the 706 for 5 years and never found a need for the double bevel.

Dave Falkenstein
05-23-2006, 7:37 PM
Dewalt does not list the DW706 in their current model lineup, so it appears the DW706 is an older model that is no longer offered. See:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail_listing.asp?categoryID=74

I have a Dewalt 12" single bevel miter saw that I have used as a job site saw for deck building for several years. It is a workhorse. A double bevel saw is simply more convenient, IMHO.

Walt Pater
05-23-2006, 8:42 PM
Jim, I've used both. Although they are not my favorite saws, you really have to admire the good ol' 706- there have probably been more houses built frame-to-finish with that saw than every other chopsaw put together. That said, I found it difficult to really finesse a micro-adjust off their bases- the table would slip back into the nearest positive stop. The 716 I owned briefly had a similar problem, but also, the bevel stop had to be adjusted daily to insure that it wold cut plumb (I returned the 716 to the BORG). Apparently, the newer model Dewalts have solved the micro-adjust problem. Except for the quirks I mentioned above, both are solid workhorses, and once you get used to a double bevel i doubt that you'll go back. HTH, Walt

John Timberlake
05-23-2006, 9:06 PM
You will have to check, but I think the new DeWalt miter saws are ready to accept a laser guide (not included). Heard that the 708 to 718 change had that feature added. Otherwise, I don't know anything about the 716.

Ben Grunow
05-23-2006, 9:34 PM
After years of using Hitachi SCMS's I purchased a 12" DeWalt slider and non-slider both dual compund and they are great. They have a nice 3 spoke wheel for adjusting the bevel angle. I have never had any problems with the saw moving out of square and the fences are nice and tall on BOTH sides of the blade. If you have a huge space maybe the single would be good (easy to turn pieces around) but I think the convenience of the double compound is worth the $$. Keep in mind that with the high fences there is little need to make compound cuts on crown mouldings- even the largest can be cut upside down and backwards without exceeding the capacity of the fences or 12" blade. Good luck.

Jim Hoelzel
05-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I think I am going to return the "older" model for the new one. I am not sure I will use a laser guide, but may be nice some day.

Jim