PDA

View Full Version : Another New Creeker saying Hello

Bob Childress
05-23-2006, 4:04 PM
Hi all,

I am a new Creeker after several furtive lurks and thought I had better introduce myself. I am a hobbyist/DYIer with a tool fetish. When we moved here to beautiful Greenville, South Carolina last year, I had zilch esxcpet the urge to splurge. We found a house with a detached workshop/garage building (whoopee!) and I have been justifying each expenditure since then by explaining to TLOML that we will save so much money remodeling the house ourselves that the tools are pratically free. I think she has finally caught on, but . . . .

Since i don't want any trouble form the Picture Police, here are a couple of pics. I am still getting set up, so please forgive. After all, I actually have to do a project now and again to keep the spouse happy. And that cuts into my shop-building time.:)

Stationary includes Hitachi contractor saw, DeWalt 12" sliding MS, PC890 router (in table). No jointer/planer yet. DC is a cheapo GMC bag for the TS and Router but a Festool 22C for hand tools and shop cleanup.

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone and will throw in my 2 cts now and then. Thanks for a great Forum.

Steve Clardy
05-23-2006, 4:26 PM
Welcome Bob!!

tod evans
05-23-2006, 4:27 PM
welcome bob!

Dan Oliphant
05-23-2006, 4:49 PM
Welcome to you, enjoy the dip.

Ben Roman
05-23-2006, 4:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek!! Good job satisfying the picture police !!!

Ben

Mark Pruitt
05-23-2006, 5:09 PM
Welcome! I like the clamp rack too!

Allen Bookout
05-23-2006, 5:26 PM
Looks like a great place to work Ben. You are going to really enjoy it.

I know that you were kidding around talking about tools paying for themselves but as you know, over time, almost all tools more than pay for themselves. Except for recent purchases I cannot think of a tool that I have that has not more than paid for itself. I can think of things that I bought that I later regreted but never a good tool and if you get really good ones they just seem to last forever.

Allen

Bob Childress
05-23-2006, 5:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!! :D Actually, Allen I was only half kidding about the tool ROI. For example, I laid 1,200 sqft of laminate flooring in this house and I easily justified a Crain undercut saw and the DeWalt MS. I built a coffee table for the library (Mission Style) and that took care of the PC biscuit joiner. Refinished an entertainment center: PC sanders and Festool CT22. Etc. etc. You are right--a good tool always pays for itself and a cheap one is always the most expensive one you will buy.

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 5:51 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Bob and I'm so happy to see you immediately complied with posting pics, thus keeping the PP happy! :D Looks like you have a great place to work but, besides the planer & jointer, I seem to have missed the spinny thing! Where's the spinny thing??? You DO plan on getting a spinny thing, don't you??? :confused: Well, of course you do!!! How silly of me to even ask such a question! I mean, after all, how you gonna' make those spindles for the other tables in the house. And the LOYL certainly deserves a nice salad (read as: ice cream) bowl, doesn't she??? :D Hey, good to have you here! Don't forget some pics of projects, as well! :) :cool:

Bob Childress
05-23-2006, 6:13 PM
Oh John,

I'm so embarrassed! Of course I have the spinny thing. In fact, I have several drills, both corded and cordless. :p What? That's not what you meant? My bad!

You can see one project under the Potting Bench post. More to come soon.

Pete Harbin
05-23-2006, 6:15 PM
Welcome aboard Bob!

Pete

Bob Childress
05-23-2006, 6:33 PM
Hi Again All,

Thanks again for the welcome. Of course, the clamp cart plan (as well as the assembly table in the foreground) is compliments of Norm Abram. The router table is a quick and dirty (QAD) plan from Shop Notes and the table top is Rockler. I also have a Festool hand held router lurking under the table. Most hand tools are PC, Bosch, or Festool. Table saw has an Incra Miter 3000 and Incra Miter Express sled. PC pancake compressor and PC finish, brad and pin nailer plus Delta crown stapler. DeWalt 14 volt cordless finish nailer. Bosch planer, Felker 150 tile saw, so on and so forth. I am a Festool junkie when I can afford it. (Which is seldom.) Will post some pics next few days of a few projects.

You folks are the greatest! So friendly. If I ever offend, please jerk me up because I want to be a part of this community.

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 6:42 PM
Oh John,

I'm so embarrassed! Of course I have the spinny thing.

"Spinny thing": Now, follow along. It's really quite simple. The correct spelling is: L-A-T-H-E. See...Wasn't that easy??? :D

Seriously, you've accumulated a nice arsenal of tools but, it just won't be complete until you jump into the Vortex! (See Turner's forum for examples!) :D

Now, I'll go check out the stuff you already have made! :) :cool:

David Duke
05-23-2006, 6:43 PM
Welcome to the Creek Bob, great place to hang out but as you've already found out watch out for those guys and gals talking about spinny things and the vortex.........great folks but kinda strange ;) ;) !!

Don Baer
05-23-2006, 6:45 PM
Bob,
Welcome to the Best forum on the internet. Nice place you got to make sawdust. I'll be looking forwark to seeing some of your projects. Stop by the turning forum when you get a chance and see what kind of fun your missing. It's not to early to start making christmas gifts and a lathe is just the right tool to get you going..:D

Brian Hale
05-23-2006, 7:57 PM
Welcome Bob! Always nice to have a new creeker from the "Right Coast" join our ranks! ;)

Now please show us some of your stuff..... :cool:

Brian :)

lou sansone
05-23-2006, 8:30 PM
welcome to the creek and thanks for posting some photos right away

lou

Corey Hallagan
05-23-2006, 8:58 PM
Welcome Bob! You got a cool shop there and looking forward to more from you.

corey

Tom Hamilton
05-23-2006, 9:03 PM
Welcome to the Creek Bob. I look forward to your future posts.

Best regards, Tom

Jerry Olexa
05-23-2006, 9:20 PM
Welcome Bob...Nice shop