PDA

View Full Version : Raffle hat done

Doug Thompson
05-23-2006, 1:57 PM
Well almost... still need to sign it and spray one more coat of laquer. Since the last post the hat was bent, dried and sanded... Gosh I hate to sand. The ambrosia maple hat weights in a 7 oz. which is sturdy enough to take a light hit without breaking... BTW a 9oz. hat will bounce all over the floor and a 6 oz. hat will break very easy.

This was made for the Johnny Appleseed Wood Carvers in Mansfield, Ohio. This will be raffled at there upcoming show at the Richland county fairgrounds June 3-4.

Now on to the next project... baseball caps for a auto show this Friday. Why? Because they show wood bodied cars. Just measured the guys yesterday:eek:

I do hope this hat thing doesn't bore you because I've never seriously tried to make anythis else with this lathe.

That's it,
Doug

Rich Stewart
05-23-2006, 2:09 PM
Never boring. I am spraining my feeble little brain trying to figure out how you do that. I saw the tutorial so don't go back over it, just cant figure it out. How are they bent? Amazing job. Thanks for showing them.

Dan Oliphant
05-23-2006, 2:16 PM
Doug, don't worry about boring anyone!!! you have a real talant and I for one like to see talant on display.

Well done and looking forward to seeing the baseball caps.

Jim Ketron
05-23-2006, 3:30 PM
Awesome job!
Hope it brings a pile of $$ in

Don Orr
05-23-2006, 3:35 PM
Very nice job and thanks for showing the finished product.

Rich, check out www.woodhat.com (http://www.woodhat.com) for Johannes Michelsen's hats and info. There is a page on the process. Very interesting stuff.:)

Doug Thompson
05-23-2006, 3:55 PM
Don, I'm glad you posted that. I didn't know if a link could be posted. It's a huge site with all the info.

John Hart
05-23-2006, 4:17 PM
I sure hope my crappy bowls don't bore you too much Doug!!! :D

It's a thing of beauty!!!;)

Shelley Bolster
05-23-2006, 4:33 PM
Totally amazing........man - take some of those to the larger Rodeos and watch a huge crowd gather!

Mike Ramsey
05-23-2006, 4:42 PM
That is mind blowing totally amazing! Fantastic job Doug. I would
hate to try and make one for my big head!

Gary Herrmann
05-23-2006, 5:39 PM
Doug, that is very cool. Keep em coming.

Bernie Weishapl
05-23-2006, 5:50 PM
Great looking hat Doug. Just keep'em coming. They never bore me.

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 5:55 PM
"Boring"??? Not in the least, Doug! Now, what would be boring is to watch me even attemp something like that. Be like: "Line up the blanks and watch me blow one up right after the other!" :o Great job and one of these years, when I have enough blanks and courage, I may even try one! Keep the inspiration coming! :) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
05-23-2006, 6:15 PM
That is just something else. I am with Richard, I don't see how you do it but anyway, cool stuff!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
05-23-2006, 6:56 PM
Very impressive Doug... not boring at all. What do you finish them with?

Ernie

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 12:05 AM
I agree - this is absolutely amazing! Boring - NO WAY!!! Keep them coming, please.........

...... I would hate to try and make one for my big head!

Uh, Mike - I think a company named VEGA could help you out:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-24-2006, 6:43 AM
Boring, you want to see boring, just wait for me to turn another funnel.....ah.... I mean bowl, now that is boring.

Your hats are really cool.

To answer Rich's question about how they are bent, that is easy...........VERY carefully!! :D

Keith Burns
05-24-2006, 8:17 AM
Very very nice Hat Doug:) :) I too have trouble wrapping my brain around the concept of how you do them:) :)

Doug Thompson
05-25-2006, 12:37 PM
What do you finish them with?

Ernie

Ernie, the finish is M.L. Campbell's white vinyl sealer and a dull lacquer both are mixed 50/50 with thinner. It's fast but my spray booth is a open door leading up to the garage so the smell is strong.

I like the work shown on this site and thanks for the encouragement.