PDA

View Full Version : Kaleidoscope Mentor???

Jim VanBramer
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm looking for someone out there in the Sawmill Creek ranks that's well versed in making kaleidoscopes of all shapes and sizes (not just the little PSI kits). After visiting a shop this weekend that had probably 100 different ones I've got the itch to make some really unique ones. If there's anyone out there that would like to help just send me a PM. Thanks.
Jim V

Jim VanBramer
05-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Any takers from the night shift??? :rolleyes:

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 3:01 AM
Sorry Jim - never seen one except for pictures...... There was a 'How To" article about them in Creative Woodworks and Crafts Magazine several issues back, maybe their website?????

Ed Lang
05-24-2006, 8:44 AM
Jim,
This is something I have wanted to do for a long time but never did.

Since you are on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast I don't think we will get to each others shops but lets try to exchange ideas via the Internet.

Maybe someone will jump in that can help both of us!

Tim Beauregard
05-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Guys,

There's a fellow named James Duxbury who lives somewhere around here. I met him at a woodturner's club. He did a demo one night on how to turn kaleidoscopes. Nice fellow and does beautiful work. I am betting that one can find him with a Google search, as I have seen some of his work in the "Woodturning Design" (?) magazine. From what I know he created that yellow plastic "snorkel" thingy that you wear which allows you to breathe filtered air from behind your head while you are at your lathe.

FOUND HIM: http://www.duxterity.com/

Regards,
Tim B.

Steve Knowlton
05-24-2006, 10:25 AM
JIM, I Have Made About 10 Kalidescopes. We Have A Memeber In Our Club Who Makes Them For A Living. He Has Came To Our Club And Helped Us Make Them. He Sends Them All Over The World. He Has A Class He Does. He Lives In Brookings Oregon.

James Duxbury
05-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I an new to this site--all sites in fact and just found this.

I have made many Kaleidoscopes and love to do it. So many of my turner friends have wanted to make them too that I have done plans for three models. You can see them at www.duxterity.com/ec (http://www.duxterity.com/ec)

These plans detail step by step how to make the whole thing. Also the main barrel is made from 3 pieces of 3/4" stock, mitred so when you turn the outside round it still leaves a triangular opening down the center. You don't need a solid block and try to drill a large hole through the center.

Also I would be glad to answer any questions if you are new to this area.

John Timberlake
05-28-2006, 3:36 PM
Jim Duxbury makes exceptional kaleidoscopes. His plans are good and clear. I haven't made one, but saw his when he was in the Cleveland area.

Jason Boushard
05-28-2006, 9:06 PM
That looks like a neat project. I am going to have to get a set of those plans.

James Duxbury
06-04-2006, 8:53 PM
John,
I am really glad to see your name show up. Thank you for the words support. You are a real professional in this wood working area and I hope all is going well for you.

Hundreds of the basic and intermediate plans have been sold by Hartville Tool. They are a great project for the mini lathes.

I sell them on my web site also www.duxterity.com/ec (http://www.duxterity.com/ec) along with an advanced model that is much harder to make.