PDA

View Full Version : Would Anyone Like a Blank Exchange?

Christopher K. Hartley
05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
We have a new request to participate in the "Dirty Turning" event. If you didn't get to participate the first go round but would like to swap a blank with our new participant please let me know. His name is Mike Wenzloff.

Jeff Horton
05-23-2006, 1:35 PM
This brings up something I have thought about. Just offering to swap what ever you have for something different. For example I have lots of walnut and may have a lot more soon! I may have a lot of the spalted sweet gum too. I have thought of just offering to swap with someone for something I don't have in my area. Of course the drawback is finding a reasonable way to ship it.

My thinking was, assuming there is not rule against this, post a photo and say you would like to swap and see if anyone was interested Then the offers could be done by PM so as not to clutter up the board.

BTW a fellow I know used to carve decoys and he used Tupaloe Gum. This Cajun fellow used to harvest it from the swamps and he just chainsawed it to size and slapped a mailing label on the wood and shipped them UPS.:) No box needed. Sure was a funny looking site!

Tom Jones III
05-23-2006, 2:22 PM
I like the idea of an open swap thread. We can set the assumption that everything will fit in a flat rate box (11"x8.5"x5.5") unless otherwise specified. You could post to the thread whatever wood you've got commonly available and if there is a wood we are interested in trying. Then we can PM for possible swaps.

For example, I've got plenty of mesquite and native Texas pecan. I'd love to try walnut and holly.

Info about the flat rate box
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&productId=11697&langId=-1

Christopher K. Hartley
05-23-2006, 2:45 PM
I think this is a great idea. Maybe John or another of our moderators can tell us if it is permissible.:)

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-23-2006, 2:51 PM
Have plenty of Holly. Sassafras and soon black walnut as soon as a friend makes settlement on a new house and would love some mesquite, pecan or some blackwood for collers and such! Let me know! This will be cool!

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2006, 2:54 PM
What about this idea......

You have a roughed out dry bowl that needs to be finish turned from rough, dry bowl to a finished piece. You ship the dry roughed out bowl to whoever wants to swap.

Reduced weight in shipping.
Reduced cost in shipping.
The real challenge is to finish turn someone else's roughed out bowl. :eek: :D

Pete Jordan
05-23-2006, 3:13 PM
That makes a ton of sense Dennis!

Christopher K. Hartley
05-23-2006, 3:28 PM
Hey this has gone from Cool:cool: to Cooler:cool: :cool: to Coolest:cool: :cool: :cool:

David Fried
05-23-2006, 4:27 PM
I think if I received a roughed out bowl from Travis, et. al. my hands would be shaking too much to finish turn it!

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2006, 5:03 PM
Well, I just figured that it would be a way to exhange some nice wood, reducing the cost for everyone, increasing the overall challenge in finish turning someone else's form that would help each person to break out of an old habit of form or style. It's a way to grow some in your turning skills with some nice wood and increase the FUN factor. Kinda adds a little "mystery" to it all...even to applying the final finish. ;) :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-23-2006, 5:10 PM
Good idea Dennis, and you would not have to deal with shipping "Wet" wood.

.........but, please announce this on the general forum or somewhere like that, maybe we can draw more into the Vortex..... :D

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 6:17 PM
I think this is a great idea. Maybe John or another of our moderators can tell us if it is permissible.:)

Well, it looks as though you already have a moderator involved in the "planning stage" for this so, you should know the answer! :) I see no problem whatsoever in doing something like this. It's simply an extension of the community atmosphere we have here! :) If you decide to go with it, let me know and, if it stays on the Turner's Forum, I'll "sticky" it for you. If it goes in the General Forum, you'll have to plead your case with Ken! (But, he's a turner, too!:D ) :cool:

Jeff Horton
05-23-2006, 6:17 PM
I like that idea a lot Dennis. I hate having to pay $8+ to get a single blank when I get most of mine free. Scared I will blow it up or turn my first funnel.

If you roughed out a bowl to swap you could leave it a bit larger than normal to give the new turner a little freedom too.

Ed Scolforo
05-23-2006, 6:47 PM
Sounds good to me, Dennis.

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-23-2006, 6:49 PM
The idea of a preturned blank is a great idea ,but 8 bucks is cheap to try a blank of wood you nomally wouldn't have a chance to turn! Try buying a peice of wood from Woodcraft for 8 bucks. I see 2 threads a possibility

Don Baer
05-23-2006, 6:52 PM
I agree with Kurt on this one. The bowls thing is OK but getting a blank would be like starting out with a blank sheet of paper..Pun intended.

I got some green Eucalytus and am in the process of getting some Mesquite.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-23-2006, 6:58 PM
Dennis, how about taking the lead on this and maybe John would help with the suggestions he made. I think this has all kinds of great potential for fun and growth.:D

Steve Ash
05-23-2006, 7:41 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure I could procure some maple, cherry, walnut or something someone would want.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-23-2006, 8:20 PM
I agree with Kurt on this one. The bowls thing is OK but getting a blank would be like starting out with a blank sheet of paper..Pun intended.

I got some green Eucalytus and am in the process of getting some Mesquite.

So why not open it up for both?

Barry Stratton
05-23-2006, 9:48 PM
I think if I received a roughed out bowl from Travis, et. al. my hands would be shaking too much to finish turn it!

Ain't that the truth!!! I'm positive that those rough-outs would be nicer than my FINISHED product.....:D

Both sound great. I'd participate in a roughed out bowl swap. Chainsaw's still broke (I know, priorities.....:( ) so can't get any birch blanks cut......

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2006, 10:18 PM
OK....Let's get a collection of thoughts here. Shoot...I done ran slap-out of thoughts.!!:eek: :p :D

Awrighty then.....

Here's what we will do and of course this is open for discussion.

1. Green wood swap. Bowl blank, green, never been turned.
 a. It's up to its new owner to rough, dry, and finish turn the bowl.
 b. Lots of creative possibilities here for the new blank owner.
 c. Increased weight and shipping costs, but the choice must be agreed upon
  by the willing parties.

2. Dry, roughed out bowl. Bowl already roughed out, dry, ready for finish turning or "re-turning" and the final finishing.
 a. It's up to the new owner to finish turn and apply a finish on the bowl.
 b. Somewhat less creative for the finisher of the assigned bowl blank.
 c. Decreased cost in shipping, but also more of a challenge as you will be
  turning something from someone else's vision of a roughed out bowl.

<b>Give it some thought.</b> By the end of this week, I'll start another thread and we'll post our names and state if we want to exchange dry or wet wood. Then we'll pair up everyone by their chosen selection of wet or dry wood via a drawing and I'll get my kids to do the name and bowl blank/roughed bowl drawing for assignment/award. We want this to be where everyone gets wood of something they don't have or can't get locally.

If there is an odd man out......I'll make it up with either wet or dry wood of whatever the odd-man-out's choice was. Confused? I sure am. :confused: :eek: :D

Let's talk it over and see how we come out.

Lee DeRaud
05-23-2006, 10:26 PM
If there is an odd man out...(raises hand) Uh, is there room for some of my evil laminations in there somewhere?

Christopher K. Hartley
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
(raises hand) Uh, is there room for some of my evil laminations in there somewhere?

I vote "ABSOLUTELY"!!!:D

Jeff Horton
05-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Then we'll pair up everyone by their chosen selection of wet or dry wood via a drawing

Well would it be OK to just post I have this (photo) Walnut blank or a roughed out pecan bowl (insert photo) and I want to saw to swap for ______ ? Thats what I was thinking about instead of drawing. Not that I am opposed to a drawing. But is this within the rules?

It could give us another option for people to do some swapping. And I said any offers could be emailed or PM'ed off the list so as not to clutter it up.

05-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Well would it be OK to just post I have this (photo) Walnut blank or a roughed out pecan bowl (insert photo) and I want to saw to swap for ______ ? Thats what I was thinking about instead of drawing. Not that I am opposed to a drawing. But is this within the rules?

It could give us another option for people to do some swapping. And I said any offers could be emailed or PM'ed off the list so as not to clutter it up.

I agree with Jeff, I'd rather have a "Trade" than a drawing, that way, if someone really wants to pay the shipping to me in Japan, they know that up front.

Cheers!

laurie sullivan
05-23-2006, 11:19 PM
last week i came across some olive wood. so sent some to a guy in kentucky. if i had send it 3 day it would have cost almost $26.00. i had it in a flat rate box and the coat was only $8.10. the weight was over ten lbs. if i can get a piece of sassafras or a bowl blank of hackberry, maybe even some black cherry, it's still cheaper than ebay. i game for what ever you set up.:D

laurie

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 11:35 PM
I tend to agree with Jeff H. and Stu. If someone has something of interest, post the description w/picture of the piece. If the next person is interested in whatever Joe Sixpack has and want to do the swap, they can PM each other and, if/when agreed on, each can then edit their post indicating the pieces are gone. Heck, for that matter, each individual poster has the rights to just blow away their own post. That would probably even leave the thread much less cluttered. Just MHO... :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2006, 11:51 PM
OK, Cool....That's what I was looking for....some discussion. A SWAP is shall be instead of a drawing. So that everyone has a chance to "mull it over". Let's begin this SWAP this coming weekend. I think the swap would be a better idea any way since we all should be concerned with what size swing each person lathe has and is capable of turning. I have some bowl blanks, but I don't think they would fit many lathes during the swap (20+ inches and weighing about 45 to 65 pounds each). That's one reason why I suggested the dry, roughed out bowl swap if anyone wanted to reduce shipping costs and help another save time on just having to finish turn a bowl, if they so choose.

Hey Spring???? This is your territory....you start the thread this weekend and those that want to swap can jump right in. You ok with that?

Brad Hart
05-24-2006, 5:45 AM
I like the idea of a blank swap since I won't be doing any turning for atleast 8 weeks now that I have snapped a tendon in my fore arm :( It will give me something to do and atleast mildly involved with something over the summer.

I might be willing to swap some rough turned pieces but I am more interested in getting unturned blanks myself.

Currently I on hand a large quantity of green to semi dry blanks in Silver Maple (some splated some ambrosia), Tulip Poplar, Slippery Elm, and Morraine Locust. I have smaller quantaties of Spalted Paperbark Birch, Osage orange, Honey Locust. Even with a screwed up wrist I intend to get a large quantitity of sycamore, red oak, walnut this summer.

I am interested in swapping for pen to box sized blanks or fair sized board cut offs in Winter Felled Holly, cherry, Purpleheart, rosewood, bloodwood, or mesquite and would trade a heavier amount for them. I would also trade for just about any exotics but I am less interested in them unless you have larger quantities and will do piece for piece swaps for.

John Hart
05-24-2006, 6:11 AM
This whole thing sounds fun...but I gots a problem. I don't want any wood!!!:eek: :D At least....not right now.:)

05-24-2006, 6:36 AM
This whole thing sounds fun...but I gots a problem. I don't want any wood!!!:eek: :D At least....not right now.:)

Maybe you could work in a credit and send out a bunch of the ones you have?

BTW, anyone who wants to trade pen blanks, I'm all over that!! :D

Mike Ramsey
05-24-2006, 8:57 AM
Or...how about a Blank Look?...Or.... a blank stare? Or.... a blank check?
Sounds like fun, was thinking of how to get rid of this Weissach ;) .

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 8:59 AM
Or.... a blank check?

Yeah, I'll take one of those....just sign it first, I'll put the digits in.:cool:

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2006, 9:07 AM
Yeah, I'll take one of those....just sign it first, I'll put the digits in.:cool:

I'll take THREE while you're handing them out. Just do like you're going to do for Steve and I'll take it from there. :p :p :D

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Just do like you're going to do for Steve and I'll take it from there.

Hey Dennis, Mike has been gone a long time....suppose he's sending us those checks?:cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 1:07 PM
We have a new request to participate in the "Dirty Turning" event. If you didn't get to participate the first go round but would like to swap a blank with our new participant please let me know. His name is Mike Wenzloff.

I don't want to change the subjuct but could we take a breath to re-address the need we have here? Is there someone who would like to accomodate this new commer to the Vortex?:) Thanks

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 1:09 PM
Hey Spring???? This is your territory....you start the thread this weekend and those that want to swap can jump right in. You ok with that?

Who is Spring?:confused:

Mike Ramsey
05-24-2006, 1:17 PM
Spring= Spring Texas, I would think maybe....

Mike Ramsey
05-24-2006, 1:25 PM
I don't want to change the subjuct but could we take a breath to re-address the need we have here? Is there someone who would like to accomodate this new commer to the Vortex?:) Thanks

Chris, I will be happy to exchange with Mr. Wenzloff, I have some
Pecan if he's interested & knows the size he would like?

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 1:39 PM
Chris, I will be happy to exchange with Mr. Wenzloff, I have some
Pecan if he's interested & knows the size he would like? Thanks Mike, would you mind shooting him a PM to let him know? Appreciate it.

Mark Patoka
05-24-2006, 1:44 PM
Who is Spring?:confused:

I believe Spring is the nickname given to John Miliunas from Spring Green, WI

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 1:45 PM
Spring= Spring Texas, I would think maybe....

Masterful there Dennis, what a pass-off, you're good!:p Had that coming didn't I?

I'll be happy to kick it of this weekend. It should pretty much manage it self after it gets started.:cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 1:46 PM
I believe Spring is the nickname given to John Miliunas from Spring Green, WI Maybe it wasn't me after all.:o My apologies. John it's all yours.

Mike Ramsey
05-24-2006, 2:06 PM

Checks in the mail Steve!...........

Chris, I did PM Mike.

Dennis Peacock
05-24-2006, 6:04 PM
Masterful there Dennis, what a pass-off, you're good!:p Had that coming didn't I?

I'll be happy to kick it of this weekend. It should pretty much manage it self after it gets started.:cool:

Sorry Chris....Spring is a nickname given to John M. With all the "stuff" I have going on at work and trying to get this computer desk well under way, I'm afraid I may forget to get the swap kicked off.:o

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 6:18 PM
Sorry Chris....Spring is a nickname given to John M. With all the "stuff" I have going on at work and trying to get this computer desk well under way, I'm afraid I may forget to get the swap kicked off.:o

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean. No apology necessary.

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 7:27 PM
OK folks, first let me apologize for not getting back to this sooner. Been kind of MIA most of the day, splitting my time up between the bed and bathroom! The LOML was down with a "nasty" Sun/Mon and part of Tuesday. She so "kindly" handed it off to me last night! :(

Anyhow, Chris, as far as I'm concerned, this is your brainchild and run with it! I think it's great that we get other "non-moderator" types involved with such efforts. If, OTOH, you wish to decline, no probs. It's still a great idea and I can get it launched this weekend! :) If you choose to take it on, please, let me know if I can be of any assistance! Carry on! :) :cool:

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 7:39 PM
Been kind of MIA most of the day, splitting my time up between the bed and bathroom! The LOML was down with a "nasty" Sun/Mon and part of Tuesday. She so "kindly" handed it off to me last night!

Sorry to hear of your illness John, hope it is very short term. Kindly get rid of it before June 20th "ish" :D

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 8:14 PM
Sorry to hear of your illness John, hope it is very short term. Kindly get rid of it before June 20th "ish" :D

Thanks, Steve. Still vertical and even attempted a piece of nourishment a bit ago. (Toast!) My dang back is probably more sore from all that laying around than anything else right now.:( :) :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-24-2006, 9:07 PM
OK folks, first let me apologize for not getting back to this sooner. Been kind of MIA most of the day, splitting my time up between the bed and bathroom! The LOML was down with a "nasty" Sun/Mon and part of Tuesday. She so "kindly" handed it off to me last night! :(

Anyhow, Chris, as far as I'm concerned, this is your brainchild and run with it! I think it's great that we get other "non-moderator" types involved with such efforts. If, OTOH, you wish to decline, no probs. It's still a great idea and I can get it launched this weekend! :) If you choose to take it on, please, let me know if I can be of any assistance! Carry on! :) :cool:

John, if you'd be so kind as to take it, that would sure help me as this is Memorial Day weekend and in our business that is a busy time. Thanks

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 9:53 PM
John, if you'd be so kind as to take it, that would sure help me as this is Memorial Day weekend and in our business that is a busy time. Thanks

Sure thing, Chris! Be happy to. :)

Now, let me see if I've got this straight. There is a contingent of folks who are interested and willing to spend a few extra bucks on shipping true, raw blanks, (green/wet) right? Then there's the camp who sees the advantage of sending reasonably dry, but roughed out bowls. I think I recall seeing Lee interested in doing some dry, laminated blanks, as well. Along with those, I'll throw in another variant, that being, raw blanks which are already dry and ready to turn to the finish. (I happen to have a couple Walnut pieces like that! :D ) Oh, and Stu, I didn't forget about you! Pen blank exchanges would also be encouraged! :D

Given those parameters, I think it would be best then, to have folks post descriptions, pics and possibly even weights of what they have to offer. Then, it's a simple matter of another guy/gal having something of interest to trade with them, to send them along a PM. If all is good with the "transaction", just blow away the specific post once done. OR, if you like, the post can remain "active" but, the originator needs to clearly specify in the post (by way of an "Edit") that the blank is gone. That way, there leaves the "door" open to others who may have interest in additional pieces of the specific flavor, which the originator may choose to provide on another swap. My personal preference would be to eliminate the post after the piece is gone, so that, it leaves the thread a bit less cluttered. :) That's entirely up to you folks! Let me know how or which way you'd prefer to handle it and that's the way we'll work it.

Also, I'd like to see feedback on whether this will be strictly "offered" in the Turner's Forum or elsewhere, too. I think the primary thread should remain on the Turner's Forum, however, in all fairness to the entire membership at SMC, we should have a post on all the forums with a link to the main thread. Sometimes people who do more than just flatwork, don't necessarily have time to check all the forums and this way, they would, at least, be made aware of it. Same goes for the Neanders, Laser engravers and especially the FPP turners. :)

So people, let me know what you'd like to see. This is your forum and we'd like to see this work for everyone who wishes to participate! :) :cool:

Steve Ash
05-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Would an inventory of said donor be necessary? E.g. Maybe I have 3 Cherry bowl blanks that I'd like to swap....if after 3 people have spoken for said bowl blanks, then would there be a way to show that I am currently out of cherry bowl blanks? Maybe next time I'd have some maple bowl blanks....so we would maybe need an inventory system built in for each donor.....maybe I am over thinking this. :confused:

John Miliunas
05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Would an inventory of said donor be necessary? E.g. Maybe I have 3 Cherry bowl blanks that I'd like to swap....if after 3 people have spoken for said bowl blanks, then would there be a way to show that I am currently out of cherry bowl blanks? Maybe next time I'd have some maple bowl blanks....so we would maybe need an inventory system built in for each donor.....maybe I am over thinking this. :confused:

Steve, that's part of the reason I endorse the "delete post" option when what you have to offer is gone. If a person should come up with additional blanks (same or other flavor), they could easily throw a new post out there for them. :) :cool:

05-25-2006, 1:29 AM
Man guys, keep it simple, like this.....

Stu in Tokyo here, I have a nice Red Keyaki Blank up for grabs....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39069&d=1148266506

21 cm wide, 7 cm thick, is 2.5 kg.

So what do you have to trade?

Cheers!

05-25-2006, 1:33 AM
Then the next post, say Barry anchored up in Ancorage says.....

Hey Stu, love that wood, I'll trade you a nice Maple blank about the same size, how about it?

The I reply "Sure thing Barry, done deal"

The I to back to the first post, hit the "Edit button" and state....

The Red Keyaki Blank has been traded!!

Cheers!

Good nuff?

(the blank in the pic above was sent to Tom as the Dirty Turning game, so it is NOT up for grabs really).

If you keep deleting stuff, then we will not know who has what, or what they want to trade for.

OK?

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
05-25-2006, 1:46 AM
Stu, I think what John and Chris have in mind is that the "I have blah, blah, blah" part would be a post and any resulting trade negotiation would be via PM. Once you got a deal, you would remove the blank from your "inventory" (editing the original post or deleting it if you're "empty").

05-25-2006, 2:35 AM
Fine, I'm easy, anything at all would be really cool, but we got to make sure everyone is included, so a board wide announcement is a good idea!

The more the merrier! :D

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 9:02 AM
Stu, I think what John and Chris have in mind is that the "I have blah, blah, blah" part would be a post and any resulting trade negotiation would be via PM. Once you got a deal, you would remove the blank from your "inventory" (editing the original post or deleting it if you're "empty").

Lee, you've got it in a nutshell! I think it would be the best use of the K.I.S.S. principal!:D :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-25-2006, 9:05 AM
Lee, you've got it in a nutshell! I think it would be the best use of the K.I.S.S. principal!:D :cool:

John and Lee have it!! KEEP IT SIMPLE SPINNER!!:D :D :D

Mike Ramsey
05-25-2006, 9:06 AM
Been kind of MIA most of the day, splitting my time up between the bed and bathroom! :(

John, here's hoping everything came out OK?:rolleyes: .

Stu, your explaination of the process is a little hazy, could you pls
not be so vague!:rolleyes: .

Jeff Horton
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you Stu, thats exactly what I had in mind when I proposed this! I lost interest when it looked like it was going to get complicated and I quit reading this thread. I decided to read it again this morning and was so glad to your post. Simple and straight forward.
I have I want,
private messages fly,
Blank gone thank you!

I think that what ever the genes are the attract us to wood working also make some of us want to over analyze and complicate the simple. ;) :D

Or maybe we are still confused form the Dirty Turning/Santa deal??? :)

05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
K.I.S.S. are words to live by.....

Keep It Simple Stu-pid :D

I went right from High school into my automotive appreticeship training at a vocational school, the instructor, Arnie, had started working as a "Mechanic" on Model "A" Fords, so he had been there, done that and seen it all. He retired at 60 sold his shop, (he had a very good business going) and then two years later got bored and starte teaching. He was forced to retire the year I had him by the union, as he was over 70 :eek:

He had lots of those little sayings, like KISS, and he beat them into our heads, others like "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not Zebras" :D

I learned lots of things in his class, and the keep it simple stu-pid was one that certainly has stuck, and served me well.

Cheers!

05-25-2006, 2:20 PM
Lets get this going!!

I have to offer, 12 pen blanks, all 5 1/4"long and about 3/4" thick. Four each of Sakura, Blue Keyaki and Red Keyaki.

Cost me about $10 to ship it from Japan to the US, via SAL Mail, which is Space Available mail, should take about two weeks to get there.

:D

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 2:33 PM
Lets get this going!!

I have to offer, 12 pen blanks, all 5 1/4"long and about 3/4" thick. Four each of Sakura, Blue Keyaki and Red Keyaki.

Cost me about $10 to ship it from Japan to the US, via SAL Mail, which is Space Available mail, should take about two weeks to get there.

:D

Hey Stu, hang on to your shorts, awready!!! :D I thought we had agreed to get this thing going this coming weekend!!! Sheeeesh...I know we've got this time zone difference thing going on, but man, it can't be that much off, can it???? :eek: :D

Let's give it another day or so and see if we get some more feedback. In the meantime, I'll try and draft something up and get it posted as a "sticky" here on the turner's forum, as well as get some verbage out there on the "other" forums, inviting the rest of the membership to participate if they so desire. Hang in there, my friend...I'll get it going!!! :) :cool:

05-25-2006, 2:38 PM
I don't have days off, thus everyday is a weekend to me :rolleyes: ;) :D

I'm just making a suggestion, an example, lighting a fire... :D

Cheers!

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 2:42 PM
I'm just making a suggestion, an example, lighting a fire... :D

Cheers!

You just keep it up, Bucko' and I'll light your fire!!! M-80 right in your shorts!!! :eek: :D :D :D

Fear not, Stu. I'll try to get it out there tomorrow (CDT, USA time!!!) afternoon. (Friday is part of the weekend, right?:) ) :cool:

David Fried
05-25-2006, 2:44 PM
Don't believe him Stu! He runs on Cheesehead Standard Time (CST).:D

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 2:49 PM
Too Late. I already go and exchange going with Kurt Rosenzweig...:p

Eucalyptus for Holley....:D

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-25-2006, 3:24 PM
Ok!!! I'm going go get some bar oil for the chainsaw and start stuffing flatrate boxes! Sticky sounds like a great idea John! Don! The holley is in the mail:D ! Here's a picture on top for a 5 gallon bucket for scale. This fit snugly in a flat rate box. I put some nice pen blanks in there for you also! Can't wait to see some pics.

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 3:29 PM
Ok!!! I'm going go get some bar oil for the chainsaw and start stuffing flatrate boxes! Sticky sounds like a great idea John! Don! The holley is in the mail:D ! Here's a picture on top for a 5 gallon bucket for scale. This fit snugly in a flat rate box. I put some nice pen blanks in there for you also! Can't wait to see some pics.

Hey Kurt, what are the dimensions for the flat-rate box you're using? Do you just go to the USPS office and pre-pay for them??? :) :cool:

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-25-2006, 3:39 PM
Go to the link below and click the buy button. They will show up on your door step in a couple of days free of charge! Then order some priority tape or just get it from the post office. Also free!

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=11697&langId=-1

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 4:17 PM

The pix in this post will show where I'm getting my blanks from.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36711

The logs that I'll be making my bowl blanks from are 19" dia and 18" high. They're a little too big for my Rikon..Maybe I need a bigger lathe..:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
05-25-2006, 7:56 PM
Go to the link below and click the buy button. They will show up on your door step in a couple of days free of charge! Then order some priority tape or just get it from the post office. Also free!

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13354&productId=11697&langId=-1

Cool! Thanks Kurt!!! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
05-25-2006, 9:44 PM
They're a little too big for my Rikon..Maybe I need a bigger lathe..:rolleyes:

NOW you're talkin' Don!!!!!!!;)

05-25-2006, 10:51 PM
The logs that I'll be making my bowl blanks from are 19" dia and 18" high. They're a little too big for my Rikon..Maybe I need a bigger lathe..:rolleyes:

Come on Don, "Maybe"....?

When has it EVER been a matte of "Maybe" is has always been a matter of "When"......... :D

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
05-26-2006, 2:16 AM
I'm in for either pen blanks or green sealed blocks. None of my bowl rough outs are dry yet - I'm still a rookie!:o

I'd be willing to swap pen blanks - have walnut, cherry, maple, butternut on hand, and some curly maple on the way. I also have a chunk of letterwood (figureless snakewood) that is 7/8 thick, 6" long and about 4" wide that will make IMPRESSIVE pens. I have some I bought from Curtis Seebeck that I'd be willing to tap into also -osage orange, mesquite, tigerwood. Even a bias cut piece of mohog to throw in the mix.

For green sealed blocks - I have osage orange, aromatic cedar and walnut - all 3" X 5 " roundish.

I have green ash, 3X3X6 for boxes/weed vahses.

I have dried walnut 2 3/4 X 2/3/4 X 6 in the mail as I type.

So - I'm in!!! Great idea!

P.S. Spotted a birch burl - gonna have to get the chainsaw fixed!!!!!!

P.P.S. Stu and I arranged a pen blank swap. I'm still in the game for more...

05-26-2006, 3:17 AM
Just so you guys know, I have a few pen blanks laying around.....

....just incase anyone want to do a trade ;) :D

George Joehnk
05-26-2006, 9:55 AM
This sounds interesting to me ... I live in the Texas Hill Country (near Fredericksburg) on a small farm ... but there are lots of trees, 5 ver. of Oaks, plus ceader, elm, ash and pecan ... I frequently saw the best pieces from fallen trees and place in my shop ... I would be open for possible trade.
George (the newby)

Don Baer
05-26-2006, 11:10 AM
George,
A big WELCOME to the best woodworking forum that there is cant wait to see some of your work.

05-26-2006, 2:22 PM
Welcome George, what a good way to jump into the creek, with a blank exchange :D

Cheers!

John Miliunas
05-26-2006, 2:28 PM
Ladies and gents: Please see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37140

Thanks! :) :cool: