PDA

View Full Version : OK, here it is!

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-05-2003, 9:09 PM
I am tired.........but SWMBO insisted that I take a picture and post it of my first attempt at turning a Bowl on my Lathe. ;) After a few lessons from my Uncle, and viewing several tapes that Terry Quiram was kind enough to provide with the Lathe, I have succeeded in turning a Walnut Bowl, and I am happy to report that there were no injuries. :p
I glued up 3 pieces of Walnut I had in the shop, and made the glueup semi-round on the Band Saw, and chucked 'er up and went at it. I sure wish I had my Bowl Gouges, that are on back order from Packard, but I made due with a small spindle gouge. I finished the Bowl yesterday evening, and did the Tung Oil treatment while it was spinning on the lathe. I chucked it up today, and spun a coat of wax on it. I am still learning, but I think things went well. I am paying close attention to tool bevel and presenting the tool to the work, and the instructional videos help immensely. Thanks for taking a look..............any comments or constructive criticism, as always, is appreciated. Be kind, this is was my Maiden Voyage down the Slippery Slope! :D

Harvey Brooks, Victoria, BC
09-05-2003, 9:15 PM
Looks like you're on your way to far too much fun and instant gratification too. Really nice and not just because its your first one.
Keep that up and you'll be able to justify all those other toys you'll need - the slow speed grinder and wolverine jig and scroll chuck and steady rest and Beall buffing system and ...and ... and ...

Tom Sweeney
09-05-2003, 9:17 PM
Great Job Kevin! Of course with the quality of the work you've done before I never doubted that you'd take right to turning. The bowl looks great - a real interesting design.

Have fun turning!

Von Bickley
09-05-2003, 9:24 PM
Kevin,

Great looking bowl. I really like the style, shape and color. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Ron Meadows
09-05-2003, 9:32 PM
Kevin,

I'd say you're off to a fine start!! Looks nice.

Ron

John Miliunas
09-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh, ohhhhh, looks like we may not see any flatwork out of Kevin for a while! Sheeeesh...If that's your first effort... Oh, never mind! (You shoulda' seen my first one! :D ) Nice job, Kev. Keep 'em comin'! :cool:

Mike Schwing
09-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Oh, ohhhhh, looks like we may not see any flatwork out of Kevin for a while! Sheeeesh...If that's your first effort... Oh, never mind! (You shoulda' seen my first one! :D ) Nice job, Kev. Keep 'em comin'! :cool:

You said it, Excellent Kevin! Take some notes for me, I'm right behind ya!

Jim Becker
09-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Hey, if you can do that with a small spindle gouge (which is not an easy thing...), just wait until you have the right tools in hand! Great job, Kevin. Once again, welcome to the addiction! :D

Jim Baker
09-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Nice bowl, Kevin. I can't wait to see what you turn out when you get more experience. It looks like you are well on your way to a great new talent.

Mike Leonard
09-06-2003, 7:53 AM
Outstanding Kevin!! I can't wait until my 1014VS gets here. I will be lucky to do half as well on my first attempt. Got any pointers? What accessories do you have if any?

Joe Tonich
09-06-2003, 8:01 AM
I am tired... Be kind, this is was my Maiden Voyage down the Slippery Slope! :D

Kevin,

Looks like the turning bug just reached out and "Gottcha"!! Good Job

http://www.aaa-clipart.com/data/anim2/hands/an2.gif

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-06-2003, 8:53 AM
Mike, here are the things I aquired recently to compliment the Lathe: I bought a slow speed grinder, and the Wolverine Jig with the Vari-Grind attachment for grinding Gouges. I think that the grinder and jig system is almost a must have not only for accuracy in grinding all the various Lathe Chisels, but also for speeding up the process. I would rather spend my time turning that sharpening tools. :D I also have a Nova Scroll Chuck. I bought the Nova Talon, which will probably spend most of the time on the Jet Mini when it arrives. I will probably get a larger Nova chuck for the Delta Lathe down the road. Other than that, just the general variety of chisels. The Lathe I bought from Terry came with a TON of different Chisels, and some homemade chisel configurations, some which I have found very useful so far. I also have a variety of faceplates, several Centers, including a live center, and a Jacob Chuck. Almost too many goodies to list. The best advice I can give, seein's how I am a rookie myself, is to get a few Videos and watch them a few times, take some mental and written notes you can refer to while turning, and just have at it. There is really no substitute for putting the tool to the wood! If there is anything I can do to help, I will do all I can, but there are many more folks here MUCH more adept at this Turning thing than I. (I am doing my darndest to catch up though!) ;)