PDA

View Full Version : Raised panel bits: How big do you go in a smaller router?

Tim Solley
05-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a Porter Cable 890 series router. I'm looking to get a raised panel bit set with the panel cutter, rail, and stile bits. I've heard many times that you shouldn't go over X diameter on the raised panel bit because this router doesn't have the HP to handle it. Is it safety, performance, what?

But I'm curious, for those of you who don't have a 3 HP router, how big do you go? Does a 2 1/2 inch raised panel bit come out looking okay?

Any kind of input in this general area is appreciated. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Tim

tod evans
05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
tim, looks really aren`t the issue....the ability to slow down the router is important with large bits, then longivity comes into play- the bigger routers have bigger bearings so are more likely to be able to handle the large bits..02 tod

John Lucas
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Tim,
The PC890 is a real fine router. It does have soft start and speed control, and it has 2 hp, but you have to measure the base opening. The bit has to be able to fit within that diameter. What I suggest you do is look into vertical panel raising bits. I used them a lot before I had present router set ups. They work fine in a good router table. It helps to have a fence that is higher than the standard but not absolutely necessary. You do need to have featherboards and set them above the bit height and still on the fence.

Tim Solley
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

John, I never even thought about the size of the base on the router. It should be large enough, but I'll have to check. I was just thinking about the size of the opening in my table insert and having to enlarge it.

As for the vertical bits, I had considered them, but the work I'm doing is curvy and I'll need the horizontal piloted bits.

Tim

Michael Gabbay
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Tim - You might want to consider vertical bits. I use them on my 3 hp DeWalt and they work great. I tried the horizontal ones but the size gets a little scarey for me. You can spin the vertical ones a little faster and they produce very clean cuts.

Mike

scott spencer
05-23-2006, 1:28 PM
Hi Tim - Last week I did 2 raised panel doors with a 3-1/2" cove bit on a Freud FT-1700 2-1/4hp router. It wasn't as powerful as my bigger 15 amp router, but with smaller passes it did fine. If I were doing lots of them or doing them frequently, I'd probably go with the bigger tool.

Tom Jones III
05-23-2006, 2:26 PM
Ditto what scott said. As an experiment I used Freuds 3.5" raised panel bit with back cutter on my PC 2.25 HP router. It does have speed control so I was able to slow it down. I took 3 passes and it did fine. Then, LOML bought me the Milwaukee 3.5 HP "table" router and it was a dream to use.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2006, 2:28 PM
They make verticle bits for raised panel work. They produce the same result using a taller bit working at less diameter. The only differenct is the relative angles of the work and the router.

Charles McCracken
05-23-2006, 4:31 PM
Tim,

PC has a max bit diameter spec that you should check. I'd start there and get a bit no larger than they recommend.

Tim Solley
05-23-2006, 4:44 PM
Tim,

PC has a max bit diameter spec that you should check. I'd start there and get a bit no larger than they recommend.

Charles, thanks for that input. Based on your advice, I got on Porter Cable's web site and downloaded the instruction manual for the router:

Do not use router bits with a diameter in excess of 2-1/2" at RPM above 13,000.
Router bits up to 3-1/2" in diameter can be used when speed control is set for 13,000 RPM or less.

Looks like PC condones the use of large bits in it's routers. I'm actually a bit surprised by that, given all the apprehensive talk I've heard in the WWing community.

Thanks everyone.

Tim

Mark Pruitt
05-23-2006, 5:19 PM
...the work I'm doing is curvy and I'll need the horizontal piloted bits.

Tim
Tim,
I'm sure you've probably thought of this already, but it bears mentioning anyway. When routing raised panels on edges that do not allow for the support of a fence, a starter pin is needed for safety. My .02

Jerry Olexa
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
2 things will make it work:
1) MaKE sure bit will fit in your opening
2) Small, repeated passes and...

Even try removing excess off with your TS at angle before routing. I've done early raised panels w a PC 690. Also, you can buy a separate variable speed regulator for your router. Should run panel bits at slower speeds. HTH