PDA

View Full Version : Peckerwood

Keel McDonald
05-23-2006, 7:53 AM
It seems as though I'm not the only one making sawdust in my shop. LOML told me that she heard a thumping noise the other night outside our kitchen window. I told her not to worry about it, it was probably nothing. The next morning, she heard it again, and went out to explore. As it turns out, my shop is also just outside our kitchen window. She discovered the "thumping" was coming from inside the shop, so she opened the door, and much to her surprise, a large woodpecker was doing his best impersonation of a jackhammer on my window sill. Have a look at the damage. I have yet to install the soffits on the shop, but have been inspired to get it done. Glad to get him out of there while I still have a wall left.

Ed Lang
05-23-2006, 8:01 AM
Check for bugs! He wanted that spot for a reason.

Glad you found out before it went on for too long.

I see them in my bowl blank pile from time to time and they look like I do with a 1/2" bowl gouge...... chips just flying.

Jim Dunn
05-23-2006, 8:22 AM
Just beautiful, if you can put up with the mess. Piliated wood peckers are common here in Mo. too.

Mark Pruitt
05-23-2006, 8:35 AM
think I'd be going for a woodpecker-n-cheese buscuit right about now....

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2006, 9:59 AM
Probably thinks it sounds really good for mating calls.
They seek mates that way.

However - - - aren't those pictures on the inside of the building??

Keel McDonald
05-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Probably thinks it sounds really good for mating calls.
They seek mates that way.

However - - - aren't those pictures on the inside of the building??

Definitely the inside!

Jim Young
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
The workbench is next.

Joe Pelonio
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
That's the same as the dirty little bugger that pecked a 3" square hole in one of my 2" round soffit vents. Make sure you put in heavy duty metal vents, those little screen ones they'll go right through trying to make an opening for their house. The one I had made that hole in a 2x6, they can do a lot of damage. If I were you I would have shot him with something other than the camera.:mad:

Bill Lewis
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Piliated woodpeckers are not that common around here, but I have seen them a few times. More importantly, have you heard it do the "woody woodpecker" laugh. Once you have, you'll know how it inspired the cartoon character.

OTOH those buggers can do some damage!

Jerry Olexa
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Wow pretty serious damage. Love birds but I'd get him/her outathere!!

Jerry Clark
05-24-2006, 2:11 PM
Funny story about- Piliated woodpeckers-- we were in Georga at a camp site and saw a Piliated woodpecker sitting on a car-- got the big lens out and a tripod and was taking pictures-- it attacked the car and caused the alarm to go off-- a lady in a tent next to the car jumped up --TOPLESS.:eek:

I tried to explain that I was just taking a picture of the wood pecker!:rolleyes: They do break mirrors and glass sometimes.

Keel McDonald
05-26-2006, 7:05 AM
When LOML told me on the phone of the "damage" it had done, I shrugged it off and thought, "What possible damage could a woodpecker do overnight?" I expected some very small wood chips on the floor. Imagine my SHOCK when I saw this for the first time. Most of those slivers of wood are 6-10" long!!!