PDA

View Full Version : Tujunga Turkey Talkers

Vaughn McMillan
05-23-2006, 4:13 AM
My sister's husband Jim has been in town since last Thursday for a wedding at my house (mine (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36860)). Jim and I have been partners in crime for about 30 years, and he's always been the brother I never had. (He was my Best Man at the wedding.) We've worked together for various employers over the years, and even though we've lived in separate states for the past 15 years or so, we still work well together, with both of us anticipating the others' next move.

Jim's an avid turkey hunter, as are his three adult sons, and since we needed some type of diversion from the estrogen fest that has been my house for the past few days, we snuck out to the shop from time to time to build some turkey calls. I found the basic plans on Chip Brown's highly entertaining website (www.calltrader.com) (http://www.calltrader.com%29), and after going through my "exotic" stockpile, we found some nice purple heart, jarrah and pao ferra pieces, and got busy. The original plan was to build a single call for Jim, but as we started sizing up the wood pieces we selected, we decided to cut enough pieces for several calls. Initially we assembled three calls, but thinking it'd be cool to make one for each of the boys, as well as one for Jim, I found a piece of padauk that was all we needed to complete the fourth call. The first three followed Chip Brown's plan closely, but for the fourth call I tweaked the design a bit and the end result was a much louder and more responsive call. We decided the three stock calls were Tujunga Turkey Talkers (T3), and the special model was the Tujunga Turkey Talker Two, or T4. In this pic, the T3s have a quick coat of BLO, but the T4 on the right is still unfinished. Jim will finish them up with poly after he gets them home and the final tuning done.

This was a fun little project, and the end result, although not fine woodworking, is four very good-sounding turkey calls, made of woods Jim and his sons have hardly even heard of. It also gave me a chance to show off my shop (which Jim hadn't seen) and most of the major tools in it (TS, BS, RT, jointer, planer) plus other neat toys he'd never used like the pin nailer. The best part, though, was seeing how stoked Jim was throughout the project. He got some hands-on time with various tools plus a lot of sanding and tuning the calls, and we're both sure the boys will also be real happy with their calls, too.

- Vaughn

Peter Stahl
05-23-2006, 7:33 AM
Vaughn,

Nice work as usual. Is there a wood that makes the best sound for a Turkey call or is it the technique when you use it? Do you make any other type of calls?

Vaughn McMillan
05-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Peter, these were the first calls I'd made, so I'm pretty much a rookie. I don't know if there's a "best" wood, but apparently cedar is common, both for its durability and low cost. The sound seems to be the result of a combination of the wood, the thickness of the box sides, the dimensions of the box, how the edges of the sides are sanded, and operator technique.

In the case of these calls, the jarrah sides and pau ferra "paddle" on top made a good-sounding combination.

- Vaughn

Pete Harbin
05-23-2006, 1:12 PM
Nice Vaughn! Good work and a good time. Can't be beat!

Pete

Wes Bischel
05-23-2006, 1:42 PM
Neat project Vaughn - and fun to share it with your "brother". I used a little chalk on the one I made for my parents - made a big difference in the crispness of the chirp. Reads like yours didn't need the extra help!:D

Thanks for sharing (Oh, and congratulations again!)

Wes

Frank Fusco
05-23-2006, 3:02 PM
Vaughn,

Nice work as usual. Is there a wood that makes the best sound for a Turkey call or is it the technique when you use it? Do you make any other type of calls?

As to best wood, you asked one of those questions that has, and will continue to be, been cussed and discussed for many decades without a consensus. I live in the Arkansas Ozarks and red cedar is the predominant wood used. It does make a fine sounding call but I suspect it is so popular is that the wood is plentiful, cheap and easy to work. Ask the next guy, he will have three more opinions.

Peter Stahl
05-24-2006, 6:43 AM
Peter, these were the first calls I'd made, so I'm pretty much a rookie. I don't know if there's a "best" wood, but apparently cedar is common, both for its durability and low cost. The sound seems to be the result of a combination of the wood, the thickness of the box sides, the dimensions of the box, how the edges of the sides are sanded, and operator technique.

In the case of these calls, the jarrah sides and pau ferra "paddle" on top made a good-sounding combination.

- Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn. I worked with a guy who hunted and ever turkey season on night shift you'd hear his turkey call through the building. During duck season there was a lot of quacking going on.

Peter Stahl
05-24-2006, 6:47 AM
As to best wood, you asked one of those questions that has, and will continue to be, been cussed and discussed for many decades without a consensus. I live in the Arkansas Ozarks and red cedar is the predominant wood used. It does make a fine sounding call but I suspect it is so popular is that the wood is plentiful, cheap and easy to work. Ask the next guy, he will have three more opinions.

Frank, thanks for the reply. Sometimes the simply ways are the best.

Doyle Alley
05-24-2006, 8:37 AM
I know that luthiers (guitar makers) like to use sitka spruce because of its resonance qualities. I wonder if using it to make turkey calls would make a difference.

Tom Sontag
05-24-2006, 9:40 PM
I had a guy call asking to buy large amounts of redcedar and osage orange for calls. I think it was turkey for both woods IIRC. What are duck calls made of?