PDA

View Full Version : Potting Bench

Harold Piper
05-23-2006, 4:11 AM
I want to make the little woman a potting bench so she will quit using the table that is on the deck. Any one have any plans/ideas for one???
Thanks,

Alex Shanku
05-23-2006, 6:55 AM
Norm has a nice plan on his website

Tim Morton
05-23-2006, 7:04 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20013&highlight=potting

I built one last year,,,I can send you the plans if you want...

PM Me.

Rick de Roque
05-23-2006, 9:19 AM
I made this for my wife last year. It is made of white oak.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rd4212/woodworking%20stuff/pottingbench0804.jpg

Rick

Bob Childress
05-23-2006, 9:42 AM
All you gotta' do is Google "Potting Bench Plans" and stand back:eek: I just finished one for TLOML by using ideas from three different plans I found on the Net. I will post a picture later. Made of cedar and finished with a water repellant sealer.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2006, 9:48 AM
I made one for my missus. It's PT spruce and I set the height just for her and to include the idea of her working in pots that are several inches tall.
I'm thinking of an addition that would include a cupboard with doors for her tools and a higher station for little plants. The current one is really short - she likes it that way - and about 8' long by 3' deep. I have another 8' of space I can dedicate to the intended addition to the potting station.

I like PT as it's easy to care for. Last year I just threw an old piece of Plywood on it and the snow didn't do any harm. This year I will top coat it with a two part urethane if I have any left over from the deck I'm doing.

Lopaka Garcia
05-23-2006, 5:14 PM
Oh a "Potting" bench! I thought you meant a "Potty" bench for the little woman :D

Bob Childress
05-23-2006, 5:36 PM
Harold,

As promised, here's a pic of the PB I made for She Who Must Be Obeyed.

It is, as I mentioned, a number of designs "cherry-picked." Legs are glued up cedar to make 2x4's since BORG didn't have such a thing.:(

Dave Falkenstein
05-23-2006, 6:33 PM
Several ideas on potting benches here:

http://store.woodstore.net/gardening.html

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 6:48 PM
Harold,

As promised, here's a pic of the PB I made for She Who Must Be Obeyed.

It is, as I mentioned, a number of designs "cherry-picked." Legs are glued up cedar to make 2x4's since BORG didn't have such a thing.:(

Ahhh...There's the bench you referred to in the other post! Well done, Bob. Bet the LOYL is happy and now knows you really can produce goods with all those tools you have! :D Bravo!

As for "available lumber" at the borgs, yeah, it's usually slim pickins! As soon as you get yourself setup with a jointer and planer, a whole new venue opens up, as you'll be able to start visiting the sawmill suppliers and buying all kinds of neat stuff in the rough! You start doing that and you really will start to recoup your investment in tools! :) :cool:

Harold Piper
05-24-2006, 3:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I still can't make up my mine to what I want to do.

Tim, when I tried to PM you it comes up on the screen that my private meddages is turned off. Any idea how I can fix this.

Thanks everone!!!!

Harold