PDA

View Full Version : First Unisaw update

Jeff Horton
05-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Started tearing her apart last night and ran into a problem before I got to deep into it. After taking everything off that I could but I realized really quickly that the inards' weren't coming out without a struggle. After starring at the problem and lot of poking around I decided the only way to get her apart was to remove the shafts from the machine but how? I called it night and I asked for some advice and found out where to look and how to get the shafts out. It's was actually rather simple, just had to know where to remove the dirt from. :)

After about an hour today I had had her apart and scattered across the table. Everything appears to be in good shape and actually not as dirty as I was expecting. Just sawdust everywhere!! The shafts that were left as bare metal are rusty and so are the gears. Thats to be expected and should clean up quickly.

You can't really see it in the photo but that old R/I motor is huge! And very heavy too!

Here's the stand upside down. bolts soaking getting ready to remove the cast iron base. It and the bottom plate will get the electrolysis treatment to remove the rust. Lots of square headed nuts, I hate square heads!

39159 39158

Here is the base about after 1 to 1.5 hours work. I ran out of primer and just put some gray paint on to keep it from rusting. I will have to sand that off and prime it. While it probably looks good in these photos there is a lot of pitting from the rust. I will have to fill that so there is still a 3 or 4 hours work on the base before it is ready to paint.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Jeff, Love seeing the process. Please keep posting with all the great pics. Alan

Seth Poorman
05-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Make sure we get the finished Pics - I want to see this great saw finished.:)

scott spencer
05-23-2006, 6:46 AM
Thanks for the update Jeff. Keep 'em coming!

Jeff Horton
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Not worth a whole update but thought I would post a photo of the cabinet. Got a couple of coats of paint on it. Still has some pits from the rust. I tried filling them but discovered I am not much of a body man and since this is a going to be used I am happy with it. Besides no one will see them unless they get on their hands an knees.:)

Corey Hallagan
05-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I love watching these machines come back! Nice work Jeff!

Corey

Jerry Olexa
05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Already a good start...Keep those pictures comin' Nice work

Bruce Page
05-26-2006, 1:02 AM
Nice progress Jeff, I’m looking forward to seeing the Uni completed. Just an FYI, Plasti-Kote makes a spray on spot filler & primer that works great for filling small to medium pits & cracks. I buy it at Pep Boys.