PDA

View Full Version : New and introducing myself

Michael Conner
05-22-2006, 9:25 PM
I have been lurking in the shadows for some time. This is an excellent site! I Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a hobbiest woodworker and I am currently building a new shop:) . Currently, I have one big chunk of concrete with anchor bolts. Other than that, not much has taken place. I hope to build the shop myself. I'll be checking in from time to time to ask construction advice and as I figure out how to post images, I'll be sure to do that as well.

I have certainly been impressed with the knowledge that flows freely here. Everyone also seems to be very friendly, a sign of a well-run forum.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Don Baer
05-22-2006, 9:27 PM
Michael,
Welcome to the Creek. Remember the Picture police..

Jim O'Dell
05-22-2006, 9:31 PM
Yeah, we love picture updates!! Welcome to the Creek, Michael! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2006, 9:43 PM
Welcome to the Creek Michael! Wade right in the water's fine! Did I mention.....we like photos!

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 9:55 PM
Hmm...I don't see no "hunk of concrete with anchor bolts"..... ;)

Seriously.....welcome to SMC!!!

Frank Pellow
05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Michael! When I joined Saw Mill Creek a little more than two years ago, I was just starting to build my workshop (see the thread: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7769). I asked a lot of questions about the construction here at Saw Mill Creek and recieved valuable answers to every question. If you do the same, I am sure that you will not be dissapointed.

Steve Clardy
05-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Welcome Michael!!!

Mark Carlson
05-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Welcome. I look forward in hearing on the progress of your shop.

~mark

Michael Conner
05-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. I'll see what I can do on the slab. Not much to look at right now. However, sometimes I look at it:D

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Hey, great having on the Creek, Michael! :) Most definitely, one of the nicest sites anywhere on the World Wide Web!!! :D Now, I'll let you in on a little secret: One of the best forums here is the Turner's Forum! Really! Bunch of nice peoples with varying degrees of skills. Now, don't let these flatwork types dissuade you from visiting over there. Sure, they'll try and tell you that we're a bunch of wacko's and still fall for that "the world is round" theory, but really, we're quite harmless. Well, until we set our sites for designated targets on our "bombing runs" but, that's another story! :D The point here is, for your shop, just throw up some walls, a roof and have enough outlets for a lathe, a bandsaw and probably a slow-speed grinder. You'll be all set!!! :D Anyhow, enjoy your stay here at SMC! Come often, stay long and sincerely, don't forget the pics!!! :) :cool:

Lars Thomas
05-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Welcome Michael. Good luck with the new shop! Lars

Alan Tolchinsky
05-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Welcome Mike and good luck with the new shop.

Allen Bookout
05-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Glad to have you Michael,

By the way---where are you from? General area will do if you do not feel free to list a specific town as the location is sometimes helpful with some answers, especially regarding construction. Besides---I am just the curious type.

I just list Southwest Florida because my town is so small that very few would know where it is.

John, I didn't know that there was a Turner's forum. Will have to check into that. What's a turner anyway? Kind of sounds like turnip. Oh well!

Allen

Seth Poorman
05-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Hello and welcome Michael
You are right ,this is one of the best and freindly sites I have ever seen.
Keep us posted on that shop......

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Welcome Welcome!

A new shop, man that is great!

Big..... well tell us how big, just so the guys, like me, stuck in little shops, can drool!

Cheers!

Tyler Howell
05-23-2006, 8:43 AM
Welcome Mike
AHHH:D :D My picture police deputys at work;)

Marty Walsh
05-23-2006, 8:49 AM
Michael,

Welcome to the creek. If you already have your slab poured, you're one step ahead of me in the shop building process, although I'm not going with a slab.

I just posted my 'about to start' thread yesterday: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36894 . I wouldn't be even close to where I am without the help and expertise of the members here. I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience...

- Marty -

Michael Conner
05-23-2006, 9:00 AM
Welcome Welcome!

A new shop, man that is great!

Big..... well tell us how big, just so the guys, like me, stuck in little shops, can drool!

Cheers!

It will be 25 x 40 once it is finished. My current shop is 16 x 20, so this one will be nice. I am hoping that I will get it finished over the summer.

Pete Harbin
05-23-2006, 9:05 AM
Welcome aboard Michael! You've picked a great place to hang out. That sounds like a good sized shop. Quite a few folks around here will have some excellent input to give as you're building.

Ask Frank Pellow to send you his CD. He's documented all the gory details of building his shop.

Pete

tod evans
05-23-2006, 9:09 AM
welcome michael!

Bryan Somers
05-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Welcome Michael.

Great place to be. Keep us posted on the shop.

Jerry Strojny
05-23-2006, 2:17 PM
Welcome to the creek Michael. Glad to have you in the community. New shop....I can only dream. It will be great to see the birth of yours.:)

Parker Nicholson
05-23-2006, 4:48 PM
I'm still "new" too. Yes, this group is certianly a bunch of vouyeurs :D

Brent Smith
05-23-2006, 4:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek Michael. Looking forward to hearing how the shop shapes up.

Brent

John Miliunas
05-23-2006, 5:43 PM
Yes, this group is certianly a bunch of vouyeurs :D
Whatchyou mean "vouyeurs"??? :confused: I ain't been on a vouyeur since my trip to Cali last summer!!! :D :cool:

David Duke
05-23-2006, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek Michael, as you've already figured out .........BEWARE THE WORLD OF ROUND!!

Corey Hallagan
05-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Welcome to SMC Michael. It's and awesome place!

Corey

Michael Gibbons
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
O.K. Michael, enough posts have been put up, Where's the picture of the slab? Anywho, Welcome!

Jerry Olexa
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Wecome...glad ur here...Show pics of your workshop as it developes and we'll try to help:D :D

Jerry Ingraham
05-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Welcome, Michael. This place is just oozing good advice for just about anything and shop building and setup has to be one of the most popular topics. Posting a question about anything that you're scratching your head about will no doubt get you more responses, answers, suggestions than you can shake a stick at! Many will come from pro's in the respective field and/or people who have already been there, done that!

Jerry Olexa
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey, great having on the Creek, Michael! :) Most definitely, one of the nicest sites anywhere on the World Wide Web!!! :D Now, I'll let you in on a little secret: One of the best forums here is the Turner's Forum! Really! Bunch of nice peoples with varying degrees of skills. Now, don't let these flatwork types dissuade you from visiting over there. Sure, they'll try and tell you that we're a bunch of wacko's and still fall for that "the world is round" theory, but really, we're quite harmless. Well, until we set our sites for designated targets on our "bombing runs" but, that's another story! :D The point here is, for your shop, just throw up some walls, a roof and have enough outlets for a lathe, a bandsaw and probably a slow-speed grinder. You'll be all set!!! :D Anyhow, enjoy your stay here at SMC! Come often, stay long and sincerely, don't forget the pics!!! :) :cool:

Gee John..I didn't know you liked turning:D :) :cool: Yuk Yuk Only joking my good man:)

Robert Mayer
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Welcome to the site. Between this site and woodnet i get a well rounded experience of woodworkers and advice.

Posting pics of everything you own is good idea.

Parker Nicholson
05-24-2006, 5:01 PM
My post count's low, but I've been around a long time. I know how you guys operate!:D