PDA

View Full Version : Should I make my own totes?

Steve knight
05-22-2006, 3:52 PM
Since Mike in Katy is running away it looks like I will need to make my own totes. I don’t see anyone who can make them out of the practical woods I use. Of course they involve doing things I don’t like routers and more sanding (G) and if I make knobs I need a lathe (never liked spinning wood)
Also if I do this I may change over to D totes. Since I have the mill it would be easy to do the mortise now for them.
I would need samples of the totes and knobs out there of course. To make dups

Lars Thomas
05-22-2006, 4:26 PM
When I get to that point, I intend to make my own totes and knobs. It just adds to the challenge

Roger Nixon
05-22-2006, 5:16 PM
Steve, I think that a closed tote in the same wood as the plane body would really dress up your longer planes. I would vote for an open tote on the jack size planes. Where would you use a knob?

Steve knight
05-22-2006, 6:25 PM
Steve, I think that a closed tote in the same wood as the plane body would really dress up your longer planes. I would vote for an open tote on the jack size planes. Where would you use a knob?
I was thinking of getting int othe tote and knob buisness. it would help my budget out and keep me from getting a part time job I don't have time for.

Roger Nixon
05-22-2006, 6:36 PM
You might be onto something there. Some of those pretty woods you use would really dress up a favorite user.