PDA

View Full Version : New vacuum pump arrived!

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-22-2006, 3:10 PM
And what a great deal! Joe Tonich turned me on to this setup with the filters already installed! I think I paid $75.00! Cant wait to get the rest of the stuff so I can get her working! Thanks Joe!:D
P.S/ I think there's 1 left if anyone is looking!

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 3:33 PM
Great score on the pump, Kurt! Been really wanting to try that on my lathe but, funds are an issue. To that extent, sent you a PM!!! :D Now, let's see it when you got all the riggings setup on it! :) :cool:

Travis Stinson
05-22-2006, 7:15 PM
Way to go Kurt. Life just got a lot easier!;)

Steve Ash
05-22-2006, 7:40 PM
Awright...since I'm the NooB at this turning gig, I gotta ask what you do with a pump on a lathe. The gearhead in me sees it as a way to inflate the air shocks on the old SS or maybe a way for the kids to use it for hydraulics to change the elevation on their ride....someone care to school me?:confused:

Travis Stinson
05-22-2006, 7:46 PM
Steve, you use the vacuum pump, along with a padded chuck, to hold bowls and such to turn the bottoms.;)

Keith Burns
05-22-2006, 7:49 PM
Yeah, what Travis the Master said:D

Lee DeRaud
05-22-2006, 7:51 PM
Steve, you use the vacuum pump, along with a padded chuck, to hold bowls and such to turn the bottoms.;)Well, geez, that sucks!! :cool: :D

Dick Parr
05-22-2006, 9:24 PM
You are really going to love it Curt.

Joe Tonich
05-22-2006, 9:31 PM
COOL Kurt! I looked but couldn't find Al Crandall's write up for making the vac chuck set-up. The most expensive part needed is the bearing, around $10 if I remember right. Can find almost all the parts at Loews and it will cost under $40 total to make, unless you don't have a faceplate. Let me know if you want to make one and I'll see if I can find the pages I ran off and e-mail em to ya.

Wes Bischel
05-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Joe, is this the Al Crandall vac chuck write-up you were looking for?

Wes

Joe Tonich
05-23-2006, 6:57 AM
Joe, is this the Al Crandall vac chuck write-up you were looking for?

Wes

Yep...that was it Wes. Thanks!! :D :D

I looked but couldn't find it, even with GOOGLE. This thing works good, in my experience. Real easy to make, too. Heard he came up with a diff design, but haven't seen it.

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-23-2006, 7:57 AM
Thanks Wes and Joe! Thats a great help! He even gives you the aisle #! Heading to Lowes after work today.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-23-2006, 8:00 AM
Well, geez, that sucks!! :cool: :D

Aw...... Lee beat me to it :D

Cheers!

Joe Melton
05-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a question about using a vacuum pump. Is the pump supposed to shut off after a set amount of vacuum is achieved, or does it run continuously while you control the applied vacuum with a valve and gauge?
Hope that makes sense! I know my air compressor shuts off when it reaches a limit, but I didn't know if there were limits on vacuum pumps and whether one would be damaged if it continued to run once maximum vacuum is achieved.
Thanks,
Joe

Joe Tonich
05-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a question about using a vacuum pump. Is the pump supposed to shut off after a set amount of vacuum is achieved, or does it run continuously while you control the applied vacuum with a valve and gauge?
Hope that makes sense! I know my air compressor shuts off when it reaches a limit, but I didn't know if there were limits on vacuum pumps and whether one would be damaged if it continued to run once maximum vacuum is achieved.
Thanks,
Joe

I was told by Travis and everyone to just leave it run. The only time I have it cutout at a certain vac. is when veneering. Heard the fluctuations in pressure help the veneers adhesion to the ply. Dunno if it's true or not, so I do it just in case.

Travis Stinson
05-23-2006, 6:46 PM
Thanks,
Joe
Joe, leave the pump running and control the amount of vacuum with a bleeder valve.;)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/cid_003701c5f6ee9b3a5d70a1eb7718DF3.jpg

Dick Strauss
05-24-2006, 1:59 PM
Travis,
Do you have a rotary vane vacuum pump, a piston type, or a diaphram type of pump?

Does anyone know the general differences in noise level, vacuum strength, and pump longevity between the three types?

I'm in the market for a 110V pump and was told rotary vane was the best. I've had a hard time finding one that looked okay on other sites at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance,
Dick

Travis Stinson
05-24-2006, 8:03 PM
Dick, it's a rotary vane exactly like the one Kurt posted. I have a dual piston type 115v pump that I'm putting a setup together for my mini with. Check various surplus places or eBay, as most of these are take-offs in very good condition.;)

John Miliunas
05-26-2006, 2:45 PM
Hey Kurt, keep those updates on "how to" coming!!! Lookeeeee here:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://wwwapps.ups.com/img/1.gif</TD><TD>http://wwwapps.ups.com/img/1.gif</TD><TD>http://wwwapps.ups.com/img/1.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Sched. Delivery:</TD><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD vAlign=bottom width=155>05/31/2006 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Shipped to: </TD><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD vAlign=bottom width=155>LONE ROCK, WI, US </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Service Type:</TD><TD vAlign=top> </TD><TD vAlign=bottom width=155>GROUND

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Bet you'll never guess what's being tracked there, will 'ya?!:D Thanks bud! :) :cool: