PDA

View Full Version : Dados

Rob Bodenschatz
05-22-2006, 2:09 PM
I have several projects on deck that will require a lot of dados and rabbets. I have a pretty good router but no router table set up yet. Would you recommend I purchase a good dado blade set for my PM2000 TS or just use my router? Will I end up going through enough bits to make me wish I had purchased the dado set to begin with?

If you think I should go with the blades, would you go with this or with something less expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RK0P/qid=1148320702/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-2828277-9789429?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Donnie Raines
05-22-2006, 2:15 PM
I find that a router and a dado blade are needed for the various applications out there. One type may be easier to cut with a hand held router(or router table). While some easier with the table saw.

Be able to use both.;)

Allen Bookout
05-22-2006, 2:33 PM
Rob,

You might want to think about this for a few more dollars. I have one but have only used it for test cuts so have no real information concerning long term use. Test cuts are very nice and I like the adjustability.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXVU5G/qid=1148321757/sr=1-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4400739-0381443?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Allen

Lee Schierer
05-22-2006, 2:37 PM
When cutting dados on a table saw the stock has to be perfectly flat to get a dado with even depth all the way across the piece. Much of modern day plywood is not flat. A hand held router with appropriate guide boards clamped to the surface can make a dado with even depth even on a bowed panel.

For dados in narrow stock, I don't think you can beat a good dadoblade on a table saw.

Frank Chaffee
05-22-2006, 4:40 PM
Rob,
I once worked for a freak who built consoles for recording and broadcast studios.

He rigged a 20” bicycle wheel on a front fork that was clamped to the overhead barn beams to apply downwards pressure to sheetgoods, typically ¾” plywood to 1-1/2” MDF, to hold them flat against his cabinet saw table when dadoing.

Downwards pressure could be adjusted, and a slight slip angle towards the fence served to keep the sheet sliding along the fence.

Frank

Norman Hitt
05-22-2006, 5:05 PM
I have several projects on deck that will require a lot of dados and rabbets. I have a pretty good router but no router table set up yet. Would you recommend I purchase a good dado blade set for my PM2000 TS or just use my router? Will I end up going through enough bits to make me wish I had purchased the dado set to begin with?

If you think I should go with the blades, would you go with this or with something less expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RK0P/qid=1148320702/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-2828277-9789429?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Rob, that is a good set, and you might also want to look at the Infinity "Dadonator", as the price is good, AND there have been many very favorable reviews by both the ww magazines, and many user reports. I think a member here, Tom Hinze has a writeup on his website for one.

I also agree with others, that BOTH the router and tablesaw have their uses/advantages in different situations, and I use both, depending on the situation.

Joe Unni
05-22-2006, 5:34 PM
Rob,
I once worked for a freak...:D :D
Sorry, no info, it just struck me funny!

-joe

Allen Bookout
05-22-2006, 5:52 PM
Rob,

He rigged a 20” bicycle wheel on a front fork that was clamped to the overhead barn beams to apply downwards pressure to sheetgoods, typically ¾” plywood to 1-1/2” MDF, to hold them flat against his cabinet saw table when dadoing.

Downwards pressure could be adjusted, and a slight slip angle towards the fence served to keep the sheet sliding along the fence.

Frank

That is a new one on me. Sounds like a great idea though. Allen

Bruce Benjamin
05-22-2006, 6:01 PM

Bob, it's hard to answer if a router bit will last long enough because it's hard to guess how many, "a lot of dados and rabbets" is. It also depends upon what type of wood you're cutting. A good quality router bit should be able to cut cleanly through quite a few book shelf projects or whatever you're building if it's solid wood but of course that all depends upon the wood and how many dados and rabbets you're making in each project. A sharp router bit will usually cut more cleanly than even a very high quality dado blade and the reply to your post regarding warped or bowed wood makes a router bit even more attractive. But if you want a great, probably the best, dado blade check out the Dadonator by Infinity Tools. http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1167
Just one of many glowing reviews can be found here:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/infinitydadonator.htm
Infinity also makes some great router bits too. I not only have the Dadonator but most of my router bits are Infinity too.
With all my talk about using a router bit for the dado though, if I have to make a bunch of shorter crosscut dados I put my Dadonator on my radial arm saw and it's very easy. With a shorter workpiece I either use my router table or a handheld router. I use my router table for nearly all rabbets. I don't use the dado blade in my TS very often anymore.

Bruce

Brad Townsend
05-22-2006, 8:17 PM
As already stated, you will probably use both methods at different times. If you are going to be using plywood however, you have to order the undersize three bit set from Holbren. http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=95&cat=0&bestseller
So far, I've only used one of the bits one one occassion (it worked fine), so I can't testify to their quality over the long haul, but they are only $13 for the whole set....including shipping! It's a no-brainer.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-22-2006, 9:18 PM
You have a fine TS, go get yourself a fine Dado. Amana is one of many.
More cutters and high grade carbide are among the things to look for.

I find dados with a router to be tedious noisy and pretty much a royal pain.

Howard Acheson
05-22-2006, 9:25 PM
For about half that price you can get the SD208 Freud dado. It is an excellent dado and repeatedly wins "Best Buy" in magazine comparison tests. Unless you are dadoing lots of hardwood veneer plywood or MDF, it will give results that are as good as the SD50x dado sets.

Both are excellent and will do a good job for you.

Bruce Benjamin
05-22-2006, 10:07 PM
As already stated, you will probably use both methods at different times. If you are going to be using plywood however, you have to order the under size three bit set from Holbren. http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=95&cat=0&bestseller
So far, I've only used one of the bits one one occasion (it worked fine), so I can't testify to their quality over the long haul, but they are only $13 for the whole set....including shipping! It's a no-brainer.

I've seen many different companies that sell the, "Under size plywood sets" and while I've never tried them, I do know that different varieties of sheet goods and even sheets of plywood of the same species are frequently different thicknesses. So how do the bit manufacturers know how wide to make their bits?

The best way I know of to use a router to make exactly the right width dados is to place a scrap of the shelf between two straight edge fences and clamp the fences down. Remove the shelf scrap and you have a gap between the fences exactly the right width. Then all you need is a top-bearing pattern bit. Set the depth of cut of the router with the bearing
riding on the two fences. You need to make sure the bit is narrower than the dado. Run the bit down one side of the dado and bring it back the other direction against the other fence to make the final width. For the fences all you need is some plywood or MDF that's wide enough to clamp down without your router base hitting the clamps. And the edges need to be straight. Nothing to it! Perfect dado's every time.

Bruce

Charlie Plesums
05-23-2006, 12:36 AM
I have only used my dado blade once in the last several years... to try it on the new saw I got 16 months ago. I don't have a bicycle wheel rigged to my ceiling, and without it plywood isn't flat enough to get a good dado on a router table, shaper, or saw. I have gone back to a guide bar with a hand-held router that follows the hills of the sheet. Then I can clamp out the waves during assembly.

I did finally get a 23/32 inch router bit, but most of the plywood I have gotten since then has been full 3/4 inch (actually 19 mm), so it takes a pass for each side of the dado. I have gone to buying the 1/2 inch straight bits when they are on sale (usually $5 or less) and use them like disposable razor blades... when they get dull, they get tossed.

Norman Hitt
05-23-2006, 6:09 AM
I have gone to buying the 1/2 inch straight bits when they are on sale (usually $5 or less) and use them like disposable razor blades... when they get dull, they get tossed.

My kinda Guy, Charlie.;) I bought 5, IIRC of the 1/2" straight bits the last time Woodcraft had them on sale, and you're right, they were 5 bucks each.:D

Alan Tolchinsky
05-23-2006, 10:24 AM
You can make a jig to use with your router that will give you the exact width of the board you're putting in the dado. I'll take a pic of mine if you like and it works perfectly with any router bit.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks to all for your very helpful replies. I think I'm going to give it a shot with my router and see how it goes before investing in a good dado set. Alan T, I'd love it if you could post a picture of your jig.

Ellen Benkin
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
I prefer to use the table saw -- and I do have a router table. I think the cuts are cleaner. Set up a featherboard if you are concerned about the wood being warped and not being held tight to the table.

Bruce Benjamin
05-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I prefer to use the table saw -- and I do have a router table. I think the cuts are cleaner. Set up a featherboard if you are concerned about the wood being warped and not being held tight to the table.

Hmmm...A feather board flattening the warp of a piece of 3/4" plywood? You must have some pretty beefy feather boards. Mine help keep wood in line but they aren't stiff enough to actually bend the wood itself.

I just have my little boy, (weighs about 60Lbs) stand on the plywood while I run it over the TS blade and it usually flattens it out. He has to be sure to keep his toes out of the way of the blade though. Anyone know who makes steel toe boots for a 7 year old?:rolleyes: Maybe that bicycle tire trick would be a little safer...

Bruce

Nissim Avrahami
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi Rob

I’ve just posted “Cutting dado with hand held router”.
Have a look, maybe it will give you some ideas.

Regards
niki

Bruce Benjamin
05-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Here's a link to a very useful router dado jig: http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dado_1a_lg.jpg
Here's another simpler one: http://www.newwoodworker.com/autodadojigpln.html

Bruce

Rob Bodenschatz
05-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I just have my little boy, (weighs about 60Lbs) stand on the plywood while I run it over the TS blade and it usually flattens it out. He has to be sure to keep his toes out of the way of the blade though. Anyone know who makes steel toe boots for a 7 year old?:rolleyes: Maybe that bicycle tire trick would be a little safer...

Bruce

I have a three and a five year old and that just made my stomach turn. :(

Bruce Benjamin
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
I have a three and a five year old and that just made my stomach turn. :(

Yea, and I suppose now you're going to tell me it it's wrong that I have my kids working down in the coal mine with me. Sheeh! :rolleyes:

Bruce

Alan Tolchinsky
05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
O.K Bruce I'm going to have to report you to the Britney Spears child watchers of America. Now you'll have the whole world watching as you use your child as a jig in woodworking. :) Finally the pressure will be off Britney!

Alan Tolchinsky
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks to all for your very helpful replies. I think I'm going to give it a shot with my router and see how it goes before investing in a good dado set. Alan T, I'd love it if you could post a picture of your jig.

Bruce B. has a link to the one I made. Here's the pic in his link.

Bruce Benjamin
05-23-2006, 12:32 PM
O.K Bruce I'm going to have to report you to the Britney Spears child watchers of America. Now you'll have the whole world watching as you use your child as a jig in woodworking. :) Finally the pressure will be off Britney!

Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag. I've been posting under an alias for a while now. I AM Britney Spears! I'm helping my husband, Keven, make a few extra bucks and start his own cabinet making/daycare business. If the press gets a hold of this I'm through!:eek:

Bruce, (AKA Britney)

Alan Tolchinsky
05-23-2006, 6:12 PM
No way Kevin is smart enough to run a cabinet business and the kids would be too smart for him.