PDA

View Full Version : hope chest/toy box

Dave Brandt
09-05-2003, 9:39 AM
Finally finished and delivered this chest (two weeks late) for my granddaughter's first birthday. She seems to think it's a stage to dance on! Of course, it's already filled with toys. Hope this works...first try at posting a pic. dave

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-05-2003, 9:51 AM
Very nice work Dave, thanks for posting the pictures. Did you mill the Bead Board on the front of the chest? In any case, the design really works well, and I am sure she will treasure her Grandpa's gift for years and years. Looks very nice! :D

Keith Starosta
09-05-2003, 9:53 AM
Dave,
That's a really nice-looking box!! It is the perfect stage for little feet to perform on!

Keith

Todd Burch
09-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Looks great. Nice job coordinating the grain on the backboard!

Mike Schwing
09-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Very nice Dave! Love the color of the finish. Looks like that might be your own design? I like it!

Tom Sweeney
09-05-2003, 10:45 AM
I like it Dave. A great design & great workmanship to boot.
I hope you put a nice hard finish on it for those little dancing feet :D

Lee Schierer
09-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Great looking toy chest. You never know what kids are going to do with something you give them, but as she gets older, I'm sure she'll treasure the box and keep her treasures in it. If the long term plan is that it becomes a hope chest, did you line it with cedar? Is the bead board home made or purchased?

Good looking design.

Rusty Hughes, Indy
09-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Excellent work. I, too, like the grain pattern on the back board. Very well done.

Glenn Clabo
09-05-2003, 11:16 AM
You clearly spent some time getting the wood grain right Dave. The bead board is a great touch. It really makes the piece stand out. Well done!

Tony Falotico
09-05-2003, 9:22 PM
Beautiful Dave, Grandchildren make shops worth having!

Von Bickley
09-05-2003, 9:27 PM
Dave,

Great looking chest. Thanks for showing it to us.

Paul Nock
09-05-2003, 9:58 PM
Great looking chest Dave. Like Kevin, I am very interested in if you milled the beadboard or if that is a premilled ply. I need to make a bed that has beadboard panels, and my initial thought was that using the beadboard ply as the panels would look like I used beadboard ply for panels.

Looking at the varying grain patterns, it looks like you milled it yourself. And the verdict is...?

John Miliunas
09-05-2003, 10:09 PM
You got yourself one very lucky granddaughter, I'd say! You done that wood proud, Dave. As mentioned, love the attention to the grain and details. She'll be dancin', sittin' and storin' stuff in that beautiful piece for many, many years to come and them's the wonderful things memories are made of! :cool:

Dave Brandt
09-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all your kind comments. Now about that beadboard...

Originally, I had purchase enough oak to make the beadboard myself. As the project progressed (or didn't), I knew I was gonna be late and found a supplier with solid red oak beadboard. The only thing I did besides cutting to size, was to cut a rabbet on both top and bottom of each board to the profiles sat on top of the rails. A much neater appearance then when they just sat up against the rails.

By the way, the beads go all the way around the box and the project was late anyway! But now I have lotsa extra red oak! Thanks again, dave

Ted Shrader
09-07-2003, 1:43 PM
Dave -

Very nice job! Well done with the grain choice on the back stretcher!

Thanks for posting the pic.

Ted