PDA

View Full Version : I have never seen anything like this!

Mike Vickery
05-22-2006, 12:53 PM
One of my neighbors that is also a turner took me as a guest to his wood turners club meeting. One of the members J Paul Fennell blew me away I had never seen any thing like his work before.

http://www.delmano.com/artists/wood/jpFennell/portfolio01.htm

Apparently he is a well known turner but I had never heard of him.

I may have to join that club!

John Timberlake
05-22-2006, 1:18 PM
Wow! Now that takes patience in addition to a lot of skill. I could never sit long enough to do something like that. But beautiful work.

tod evans
05-22-2006, 1:22 PM
cool stuff mike!

Adam Howard
05-22-2006, 1:37 PM
I quit.

Dang that's incredible!

Lee DeRaud
05-22-2006, 2:37 PM
Incredible!

One thing I did notice: prices in the $2-4K range until you get to that solid form at the bottom, which was like $300.
Hmmm...never realized that holes were more expensive than wood.:D :cool: :p

Joe Tonich
05-22-2006, 3:00 PM
Incredible!

Hmmm...never realized that holes were more expensive than wood.:D :cool: :p

Does this mean funnels are worth more $$$ than bowls???? :confused: :confused:
I may be rich and don't know it. :eek: :p

John Miliunas
05-22-2006, 3:04 PM
Does this mean funnels are worth more $$$ than bowls???? :confused: :confused:
I may be rich and don't know it. :eek: :p

ROFLM.... :D :D :D I'm with you, Joe!!! Truly incredible work but, except for the last two, none of them will hold any water!!! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Mike Vickery
05-22-2006, 3:34 PM
ROFLM.... :D :D :D I'm with you, Joe!!! Truly incredible work but, except for the last two, none of them will hold any water!!! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Think they are made to hold cash!

Tim Beauregard
05-22-2006, 4:23 PM
IMHO,

It looks nice, but I much prefer the more practical stuff that everyone in this forum does. Great artistry in a smaller amount of time. Bigger market. That other guy may price himself way out of a market. What good is a $2k urn if you can only sell one or two a year?

Not intending to diss the guy...it is beautiful artistry.

Regards,
Tim B.

Ron Sardo
05-22-2006, 4:23 PM
I've often wondered how well they sell.

Here are some more artists from the same gallery

http://www.delmano.com/artists/index.htm
After you click on thier name you need to click on thier portfolio

John Hart
05-22-2006, 4:40 PM
Yep....for a while I've thought that I'm just not very good at this. And this clinches it. Think I'll go back to Play-doh sculpture.:o

Michael Stafford
05-22-2006, 4:48 PM
This left the arena of being called turning long ago. Only the basic form was turned and after that it became something else.... No longer is it turning IMHO.

Mike Vickery
05-22-2006, 5:11 PM
I've often wondered how well they sell.

Here are some more artists from the same gallery

http://www.delmano.com/artists/index.htm
After you click on thier name you need to click on thier portfolio

Hey Ron I did not know you were a member here.

I have looked at some of the other artisits and they have some great work. I was just really impressed after seeing his work in person and watching a demonstration he did on forms.

I am not sure how much he sells but on looking at his biography he has had his work shown in some great places one being the Smithsonian. The highest priced piece that I saw was $13,000 :eek: :eek: :eek: .
http://www.delmano.com/artists/wood/jpFennell/biography.htm

He has definately gone beyond "turner" to "artist" on alot of these works but to me the tools and techniques used do not matter, it is the final result that matters. Personally I consider myself a woodworker not just a turner. Mostly I make segmeneted wood pens and what makes them different is the flatwork I do to make the segments not the turning. Truthfully the turning is rather ordinary because I am not a very good turner yet but we use what we have to try to make something nice.

Keith Christopher
05-22-2006, 6:06 PM
A wise woodworker once said, "You won't make money building furniture, you'll make it building art that doubles as furniture."

Corey Hallagan
05-22-2006, 8:44 PM
Yikes that is incredible work! Thanks for sharing!

Corey

Jim Becker
05-22-2006, 10:16 PM
And Paul is a REALLY nice guy, too...I had the pleasure of meeting him at the AAW Symposium in Orlando a couple years ago. Like so many "pro" turners, he's accessible, warm and a pleasure to interact with.

Ernie Nyvall
05-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Oh yea, I do 2-3 of these per week. I don't post them because the method of mounting them on my skroll saw is a secret, and I know all you guys would want to know. Sorry.:rolleyes:

Ernie

John Hart
05-23-2006, 6:18 AM
Oh yea, I do 2-3 of these per week. I don't post them because the method of mounting them on my skroll saw is a secret, and I know all you guys would want to know. Sorry.:rolleyes:

Ernie

That's ok Ernie...you just hold on to your secrets. I'm sure Lee DeRaud is working out a plan to laser-blast this sort of stuff.;) :D

Rod Williamson
05-23-2006, 6:47 AM
Guys,

I'm not a turner (except for an occasional pen)...how are those expensive ones made?

Rod

John Hart
05-23-2006, 6:52 AM
I'm guessing that he turns the whole thing....then maps out the design....then Dremels the design into the wood. If you look closely at the holes, they have the earmarks of a long dremel bit. Just guessing though. :confused:

Keith Christopher
05-23-2006, 9:02 AM
I'm guessing that he turns the whole thing....then maps out the design....then Dremels the design into the wood. If you look closely at the holes, they have the earmarks of a long dremel bit. Just guessing though. :confused:

I've seen some of this type made and every one used a dremel. I've sure there are other ways but that seems the most popular. The ones I saw made had a pattern that was stuck on (much like scroll work) and they simply routed them out, removed the paper and a light sanding WALA. I'm sure the more practiced or creative types don't use a template however.

Mike Vickery
05-23-2006, 11:23 AM
The pierceing I think is the easy part (relatively speaking) what I do not understand is how he does the carving. If it was relief carving I would understand more however the carvings appear to be on the outside of the turned form.

Lee DeRaud
05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
That's ok Ernie...you just hold on to your secrets. I'm sure Lee DeRaud is working out a plan to laser-blast this sort of stuff.;) :DNaw, takes too long. But I've got an old 20-gauge pump that could use some exercise...:eek:

Ron Sardo
05-23-2006, 1:29 PM
Hey Ron I did not know you were a member here.
Hey Mike, I stop by here once and a while, there are allot of familar names here .

Anyway, you can use a dremel, bit it's tedious work using one. Here is what must carvers use
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=246-0100
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=139-0100

The difference is in the higher speed, the PowerCrafter runs at 400,000 rpm, a Dremel runs at 36,000 rpms.

The pierceing I think is the easy part (relatively speaking) what I do not understand is how he does the carving. If it was relief carving I would understand more however the carvings appear to be on the outside of the turned form.

It's basicly relief carving on a thick hollow form

Mike Vickery
05-23-2006, 3:53 PM
I found this online and it looks like Ron is right
http://www.channelislandswoodturners.org/FennellDemoP2-Sept2005.htm
It is a summary from a demo he did.

It is the step where he "hogs off material" with the dremel that I was not getting.