PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking opportunities in Alaska??

Bob Weisner
05-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi:

Is it possible to make a living at either woodworking or woodturning in Alaska? Is there a market for things made in Alaska?

Jim King
05-22-2006, 2:34 PM
I have read in the past on an Alaska woodturning club site that the simple woods such as birch sell for very high prices in Alaska to foreign tourists coming in on the ships.

Dan Oliphant
05-22-2006, 2:52 PM
Bob, just remember that the cost of non native woods will be a big factor. Don't forget the cost of shipping too.

Kyle Stiefel
05-22-2006, 5:11 PM
Bob,

I live in SE Alaska in Sitka. We have a population of about 9,000 but between May and September there is around 225,000-250,000 people through on the cruise ships and sport fishing. That being said of course every person doesn't come to shore. There are all kinds of junk tourist stores that sell many things overpriced. I know in some of the smaller towns all the shop owners are from down south, open their doors for the summer and then go back down south to live and spend their money.

So to answer your question I think there is a market for your services in at least SE Alaska. The trick would be getting in with the shop owners and see if they would like to sell some of your products. I think small turning, wine bottle stoppers, etc. would go quite well. The smaller less expensive stuff would move fairly quickly I think.

Of course I am just spilling some thoughts, so who knows?

Kyle

Bob Weisner
05-22-2006, 5:30 PM
What species of hardwoods grow in Alaska? From what I have been reading , It is just Cedar, Birch, and Red Alder. Is there any other Hardwood trees that grown in Alaska?

Also, what is the average Board Foot price for hardwood lumber for species native to Alaska? 4/4 & 8/4.

Thanks,

Frank Fusco
05-22-2006, 7:08 PM
There are other possibilities not using wood. Pens, bottle stoppers and other small turnings from moose or caribou antler, walrus ivory or mastodon would be unique for tourists. You could also sell things like pistol grips from those materials, and others.

jonathan snyder
05-24-2006, 2:12 AM
Bob

I live in Anchorage. I just play around in my garage so i dont know if you can make a living turning or woodworking. What I do know is that hardwood and or anything else that is heavy is expensive! The shipping will kill you. We do have a local hardwood supplier here in town they even carry some exotics.

Paper Birch is the only hardwood found in Alaska interior. Birch runs 2.45 bf up to 6 in wide at the mill in Wasilla. I do see turners selling bowls and such to the tourists at craft fairs. They get pretty good prices, but i dont know if they make a living or not.

Are you thinking about moving. it is a wonderful place to live!

Good luck
Jonathan

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 3:24 AM
Jonathan nailed the prices and gave you great info.

There are numerous cabinet shops and a few millwork shops in Anchorage (largest city in AK at 275,000) that are always are looking for someone who knows the difference between a rail and stile. A buddy owns his own and does quite well. The housing market is pretty decent and remodels are always popular. IF the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline is built, expect another increase in population similar to when the transAlaska Oil Pipeline was built in the late 1970's. The Great Alaska Bowl Company cranks out birch bowls by the 10's of thousands. Most turners make money on the side by selling at craft fairs, or craft malls, and/or over the internet.

It is expensive to live here. It is also some of the most spectacular scenery and true wilderness in the United States. If you like to hunt and fish and don't mind paying $4/gallon for milk, come on up!!!

P.S. Not throwing rocks, but don't count on being able to work walrus ivory....... The Feds get a little touchy over use of marine mammals by non-natives......

Jeremy Gibson
05-24-2006, 8:57 AM
This is an interesting thread - especially hearing from the AK natives. My wife would love to move there. I would have to see about job markets. I'm just a hobby woodworker (and a beginner at that) but I didn't even think about wood prices.

Parker Nicholson
05-24-2006, 5:23 PM
I visited Alaska, 2 years ago March for 12 days. Very beautiful country, no doubt about that. Didn't seem to be much woodworking type stuff that I could find. I did visit a bowl making shop and had a short tour of the shop.
They made their bowls using a lathe with a router mounted on it. Turned the bowl very slowly and fed the router into it to make the bowl.
Anyway....(I digress)......We travelled about 1500 miles around Alaska and asked several people about woodworking. Most woodworking in Alaska seems to be carving.
One other thing: The food is GREAT!

Bob Weisner
05-24-2006, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the replies! :)

I may be looking to move in a couple of years. I was reading about the cost of living in Alaska. It is "reasonable" in Anchorage. There are other areas of the State that have higher electric rates. I saw a few areas that are over 50 cents a Kilowatt hour. A lot of the Towns, such as McGrath Alaska, are off of the road system. That makes everything cost more.

I was suprised to see that some towns have electric rates lower than my electric utility.

What about the property taxes? Does Alaska have a STAR program or something like that for lowering the property taxes?

Barry Stratton
05-24-2006, 9:18 PM
Bob,

You might want to point your browser at: http://www.state.ak.us/local/facts.shtml

There's all kinds of info on Alaska here, including a relocation guide. There is no sales tax in Anchorage (there is in many communities), no state income tax and utility bills are lower than many places in America. We even get a share of the oil wealth every year. Trade that off with winter that lasts from October to April, longer if up north, and....... Property taxes in Anchorage are VERY high, three times as high as a similar home value in Minnesota for example. Given that Alaska is SO BIG (cut it in half and Texas drops to the third biggest state) and your questions are broad, I recommend you take a look at the State of Alaska website link above and follow the other links of interest!